iPhone Got Wet. Now it Thinks Headphones are Constantly Plugged in.

So an iPhone 6 fell down the toilet for for about 5/6 seconds.

Fished it out and dried it off, still seemed to be working okay, which is great.  The alarm went off this morning, which is great.

However, it appears it thinks the headphones are plugged in so if there's a call, it doesn't ring.  Neither can they watch a video or listen to the radio.  If headphones are plugged in, the sound works.

Bought in January 2015 direct from Apple Shop so nearly two years old now (and I guess out of warranty - the website doesn't actually say yes or no)

It hasn't been through a fully drying process in rice as yet.

Any other ideas?

• Like 1

I was going to suggest the rice thing... and other than taking it a part and giving it a good clean (if thats even possible) I don't think there will be much you can do?

Finally the iPhone 7 makes sense:rofl:

Rice doesn't do anything so don't waste your time with that. How long did you let it dry? Once it's been wet it really needs to be opened, cleaned and dried properly.

Even if it was in warranty, the warranty doesn't cover water damage which this clearly would be.

Switch it off, dry it out - put somewhere warm for a good few days, and hope for the best!

Surely rice will try and such moisture out of the device?

But then I guess if you leave it out, it doesn't go all cooked...

Luckily, dried it out some more and now it's fine. That was very lucky!

this happened to me on iphone4 and 5. What always worked for me, was sucking on the connection port :/:laugh: 

IIRC there was somewhere on reddit, that pointed out the rice as an old wives tale ?

• Like 1

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

this happened to me on iphone4 and 5. What always worked for me, was sucking on the connection port :/:laugh: 

IIRC there was somewhere on reddit, that pointed out the rice as an old wives tale ?

Yes. Rice should work. 

11 hours ago, virtorio said:

Rice doesn't do anything so don't waste your time with that. How long did you let it dry? Once it's been wet it really needs to be opened, cleaned and dried properly.

17 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Rice works but it's not very effective compared to other options. However, it is a very accessible option which is why people use it.

Silicone gel is what you want.

• Like 1

Water isn't the actual problem.  It's the minerals in the water that cause the shorting.  You can 100% have your phone dry but the deposits that are left will still cause issues.

Remeber to SWITCH OFF THE PHONE IMMEDIATLY after exposure to water, and then dry.

if you left it running overnight to hear alarm in the morning, chances are the damage is already done.   not much point in putting it in rice.     you are lucky i guess.   

i had the same issue.   (and before you think i dump phones in the crapper.... LOL... i boat a lot in summers... so there :p a good civil reason for accidentally watering your phone)

1 phone survives OK, and 1 phone lost the screen, 2 others died completely)