Dune (2021)

Legendary is now a subsidiary of the Wanda Group of China, which also owns Wanda Cinema, the Hoyts Group film releasing company in Australia, AMC theaters and Dick Clark Productions.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/denis-villeneuve-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-1201929280/

"Blade Runner: 2049” director Denis Villeneuve looks ready to jump into another classic fixture from the sci-fi world.

Sources tell Variety that Villeneuve is in early talks to direct Legendary’s “Dune” reboot for the company. Legendary has not commented on the news.

Prior to the Thanksgiving holiday, Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate for the rights his iconic novel, granting the production entity not only rights to film but also TV-based projects on the sci-fi property.

The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The novel was also adapted as the 1984 film directed by David Lynch. The film starred Kyle MacLachlan and at the time was thought of as a flop, getting poor reviews and grossing just $30.9 million, but more recently has attained cult status.

It’s unknown if Villeneuve would be involved in any TV-related projects, just that he would direct the first film to come out of this new universe.

I'm all for this as long as it sticks to the first Paul story arc,  and maybe the next one with his kids, but nothing after.  God emperor of dune is where I checked out,  it just gets too boring with that book. 

I must not watch. Watching is the mind-killer. Watching is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Wait, so, is it a TV series or a film?

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 11:17 AM, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

I must not watch. Watching is the mind-killer. Watching is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Wait, so, is it a TV series or a film?

It sounds like what Marvel does: street stories on TV (AoS) and streaming (DareDevil-verse), big themes in the cinemaplex.

A story about a violent sand people who hold the most valuable resource known to man, and their intent to declare Jihad on the universe? I see that going smoothly.

Kidding aside, I think the prescience aspect of the story could be hard to pull off. Then again, if there's someone who could pull the entire thing off, it's Villeneuve, he handled Arrival amazingly.

• 2 weeks later...

The original film and the two mini series were ok, but missed a lot of the story and how it played out in the books, I think it is one of those series that is very hard to put into film with out messing it up. We shall see if they can pull it off but I am doubtful.  

Well, for books being made into movies I agree, time is a limiting factor and things change and or are dropped.   But a book can be made into a tv series without issue, as long as they have enough episodes to do it justice.

• 3 months later...
On 23/12/2016 at 2:38 AM, George P said:

I'm all for this as long as it sticks to the first Paul story arc,  and maybe the next one with his kids, but nothing after.  God emperor of dune is where I checked out,  it just gets too boring with that book. 

Wow.  I haven't been able to read a novel since mid 2000 where I was half way through God Emperor Of Dune.  I just thought the distant relative of Muad'dib that was slowly turning into a spice worm was some of the stupidest ###### I'd ever read.

I can't even sit and read Hitchikers Guide which is one of my faves.  God Emperor broke me.

3 hours ago, DarkyDan said:

Wow.  I haven't been able to read a novel since mid 2000 where I was half way through God Emperor Of Dune.  I just thought the distant relative of Muad'dib that was slowly turning into a spice worm was some of the stupidest ###### I'd ever read.

I can't even sit and read Hitchikers Guide which is one of my faves.  God Emperor broke me.

I've read other fantasy series that have lots of books without issue, like Wheel of Time, and I'm going through Sword of truth right now.  But yeah, the Dune books starting with God Emperor lost me quick, just stopped being what I cared for.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

They've once again tweaked the line, sounds different from even last scifi mini-series which itself is a shorter version of the original from the books.  Of course the original book version is on the long side so I understand the idea behind making it shorter.

• Brandon H changed the title to Dune (2020)

I've never watched the Lynch movie - it just looked a little inaccessible (to a younger me - worth a watch?).  I am keen to see this however.

Edited by Code Name: Lockdown

I suppose you could watch it but it might spoil this new one.  I'd say don't watch it, wait to see this new one first and then you can go back and kill time on the old one.  Honestly I'd say to just read the books at some point if you haven't.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, George P said:

I suppose you could watch it but it might spoil this new one.

That was my thinking also.  I shall go into this fresh with a mindset of "I know nothing about this", and I do feel (which is rare) that this trailer allows that

10 minutes ago, NJ Louch said:

That was my thinking also.  I shall go into this fresh with a mindset of "I know nothing about this", and I do feel (which is rare) that this trailer allows that

Please read the book, to me this sort of movie is better understood and enjoyed when you know the book well.

I am very excited for this though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

Please read the book, to me this sort of movie is better understood and enjoyed when you know the book well.

I can't really agree completely with this. My first introduction to the Dune universe WAS the Lynch movie.  I enjoyed it so much it prompted me to seek out the books which opened my eyes as to what the movie was trying to do, and well... You see my nick, avatar and sig! ;) 

• Like 1