Windows Movie Maker - Trial???

Question

Before i formatted my hard drive a few week ago i used Windows Movie Maker quite a bit & never had an issue with it.

So when i reinstalled Windows i set to putting all my programs back on, including WMM.

Now though, every time i open it, it tells me i'm using a trial version & i can buy a licence.

When it opens up it all seems like the same thing as i was using & i never got prompted beforehand. Any ideas how i can remove the trial pop up at the start other than actually paying for it which i don't want to do.

This is the actual download link from Microsoft --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14220/windows-movie-maker-download

They are supposed to have a new store version of WMM coming out in 2017 which I am sure will have a confusing minimalist "flat" UI with less features than the "old" version.

I just uninstalled Movie Maker, went to install it via the link you provided & it tells me "Photo Gallery & Movie Maker" is already installed and wont let me install Movie Maker.

Either it's already installed and you just need to find it or your 'trial' version has left something behind to get in the way of the legitimate installer.

Remember Microsoft products are always available from Microsoft.com or the Store, anywhere else and you risk the chance of becoming a botnet, getting ransomware or worse.

Just reading the site flags it as a no-no.

"All setup packages are standalone install packages. No need to download files via Internet during the installation"

"If our support team has not been able to resolve your issue or if you are not satisfied with our product or support, simply contact us within 30 days of purchase and windows-movie-maker.org will refund your money"

The original online installer gives you WMM for free... why would money be involved when the websites only reason is to give you Microsofts free software?

Well i had to do a system restore in Windows 7 & then uninstall that section of Live Essentials

So then i installed it via Live Essentials. All good so far. However i them come to open it up....

Untitled.jpg

I'm running an AMD 2.8GHz Phenom 2, 16GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia GeForce 460 graphics card, 256GB SSD as main, if that's not enough then what is? And since it's worked in the past, i know it's enough, so i just don't know why it now wont work,

I also used Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall the WMM from the registry too prior to this installation.

18 minutes ago, Technique said:

Well i had to do a system restore in Windows 7 & then uninstall that section of Live Essentials

So then i installed it via Live Essentials. All good so far. However i them come to open it up....

Untitled.jpg

I'm running an AMD 2.8GHz Phenom 2, 16GB RAM, 1GB Nvidia GeForce 460 graphics card, 256GB SSD as main, if that's not enough then what is? And since it's worked in the past, i know it's enough, so i just don't know why it now wont work,

I also used Revo Uninstaller Pro to uninstall the WMM from the registry too prior to this installation.

It seems that Microsoft has done away with Live Essentials..

Get Windows Essentials offline installers before Microsoft removes them

I thought they were doing away with it rather than have done away with it? January something, 10th, 17th? Something like that?

I installed Windows Live Mail & that works perfectly fine.

The Photo Gallery also works perfectly fine.

I've a bad feeling i'm going to have to do as xendrome said & format ... for a third time.

At first i thought he was joking. Sarcasm. Maybe he wasn't after all.

1 hour ago, Technique said:

I just searched "Windows Movie Maker" in google & looking at the sites that it says i've visited i must've downloaded from this one: http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/

I did the exact same thing but I didn't skip the first result from microsoft.com. LOL

1 hour ago, Technique said:

I just uninstalled Movie Maker, went to install it via the link you provided & it tells me "Photo Gallery & Movie Maker" is already installed and wont let me install Movie Maker.

I am sure the fake Movie Maker hosed your system.

22 minutes ago, Technique said:

I thought they were doing away with it rather than have done away with it? January something, 10th, 17th? Something like that?

I installed Windows Live Mail & that works perfectly fine.

The Photo Gallery also works perfectly fine.

I've a bad feeling i'm going to have to do as xendrome said & format ... for a third time.

At first i thought he was joking. Sarcasm. Maybe he wasn't after all.

Why are you using any of these old programs anyway? If you were using other Windows Essentials programs why didn't you just install Movie Maker with that? It's actually the same installer --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

16 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I did the exact same thing but I didn't skip the first result from microsoft.com. LOL

I am sure the fake Movie Maker hosed your system.

Why are you using any of these old programs anyway? If you were using other Windows Essentials programs why didn't you just install Movie Maker with that? It's actually the same installer --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17779/download-windows-essentials

Ok, but how does any of that help with the problem at hand?

This isn't meant in an offensive way but what is done is done. No point in going over it for the why's and why not's. Better to spend time solving the problem.

Ok first off why every time i go to post it puts my last post in the reply box? So i have to delete it all & then start afresh. Not the end of the world by any means but a little annoying all the same.

@+Ned - thanks, but it says that is not applicable to my computer.

@+Gary7 - See i don't know how far back i'd need to go & i don't know what i'd lose in the process. I went back 1 restore earlier today & ended up losing files i'd downloaded.

I'v ejust finished installing it on my laptop which is nowhere near as powerful as my PC. Not to say that my PC is all singing & dancing as it's 6 years old but it works perfectly fine on my laptop.

I guess when i installed it from that website it's goosed my registry somehow & wont let me use the 'normal' WMM.

I'm in the process of backing up all files & looks like i'll have to try ANOTHER format. Joy.

My only concern now is whether i will still get the dual boot or whether it'll ruin the other hard drive.

Currently i have Win7 installed on a SSHD. It created a 100mb sector on that drive which i assume is the boot loader or whatever it's called?

And i have Win7 installed on this SSD.

I'm hoping by formatting the SSD & reinstalling Win7 back on the SSD that everything will boot & work as normal.

But it's me, so it probably wont & i'll end up having to format 2 hard drives for a third/4th time.

20 minutes ago, Technique said:

@+Gary7 - See i don't know how far back i'd need to go & i don't know what i'd lose in the process. I went back 1 restore earlier today & ended up losing files i'd downloaded.

Whatever you lose can be re installed and would be faster than a format unless your system got infected..??

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Whatever you lose can be re installed and would be faster than a format unless your system got infected..??

True

Unless i lose files also.

And is it worth the risk? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't actually know.

I'm just wondering if formatting will balls up the booting of this PC or whether i'll end up having to format the other hard drive also like last time.

4 hours ago, Technique said:

I just searched "Windows Movie Maker" in google & looking at the sites that it says i've visited i must've downloaded from this one: http://www.windows-movie-maker.org/

That's definitely not Microsoft's web site. I'm guessing it's a fake and probably infested, in which case you're probably going to end up losing files anyway.

I can't remember why i downloaded from that site. I think it was before i installed Essentials.

I remember reading MS cutting the Essentials pack & so i probably just searched WMM & stumbled across that site thinking that must be where i can download from.

It is what it is. I can't undo it now.

4 hours ago, Technique said:

Untitled.jpg

Update graphic driver. If you are using an Nvidia one, go to website or use device manager to update it. I had the same error on a laptop years ago ;)

25 minutes ago, Technique said:

I can't remember why i downloaded from that site. I think it was before i installed Essentials.

I remember reading MS cutting the Essentials pack & so i probably just searched WMM & stumbled across that site thinking that must be where i can download from.

It is what it is. I can't undo it now.

Maybe the safest way would be to reformat it.

57 minutes ago, jaimerks said:

Update graphic driver. If you are using an Nvidia one, go to website or use device manager to update it. I had the same error on a laptop years ago ;)

That won't fix bogus software. :p

Just tried to access that site from work and our IT department has flagged the site as having malicious software. It was infected for sure.

13 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

Just tried to access that site from work and our IT department has flagged the site as having malicious software. It was infected for sure.

Well sometimes Malicious and Adware get grouped. ... I think someone should be brave and install it in a sandbox inside a VM :D

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Well sometimes Malicious and Adware get grouped. ... I think someone should be brave and install it in a sandbox inside a VM :D

You are the choosen one. Go forth into Ransom Woods. :p