Windows Update Standalone Installer Error 0x8007000d when installing a cumulative update

Question

Hi there, I'm on an HP Pavilion x360 runnin Windows 10 1607 14393.0. I'm trying to download an update to 14393.576 due to some bugs in the current system that is making my battery life shorter. I went ahead and downloaded the cumulative update KB3206632 on the Update Catalog, but when I installed it, it gave me a message "Installer encountered an error: 0x8007000D the data is invalid." This only happens when I install cumulative updates. Security updates and other patches go through WUSA. I'm using the standalone installer as it takes a while for the built-in Windows Update to download the updates. Doing a Google search gets me nowhere. It's an almost 2 months old PC so I don't believe there's nothing *too* corrupted yet here.

Anyone have ideas on how to get around this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

10 answers to this question

You could go the longer route by downloading the latest ISO (it includes all updates till Nov afaik) and just 'upgrade' :) When you have downloaded the ISO, right click on the file and choose "mount" then you won't have to burn it or setup a USB key, it should upgrade without issue since it also does all the necessary checks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason S. said:

im sure you've seen this article already --> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2230957

is Windows activated?

yep, it's activated, alright; no issues with that part on my laptop. What I'm trying to figure out is what's causing the error code, and why it only appears on cumulative updates. Thanks anyway! :)

1 minute ago, JustinCharlier said:

yep, it's activated, alright; no issues with that part on my laptop. What I'm trying to figure out is what's causing the error code, and why it only appears on cumulative updates. Thanks anyway! :)

that KB article goes on to check some permissions in the registry and blah blah blah

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

You could go the longer route by downloading the latest ISO (it includes all updates till Nov afaik) and just 'upgrade' :) When you have downloaded the ISO, right click on the file and choose "mount" then you won't have to burn it or setup a USB key, it should upgrade without issue since it also does all the necessary checks.

I shall try that, Steve. Thank you so much. I just want to get out of this build that's giving my laptop shorter battery life, feels like it's broken though its really not :|

1 minute ago, JustinCharlier said:

I shall try that, Steve. Thank you so much. I just want to get out of this build that's giving my laptop shorter battery life, feels like it's broken though its really not :|

If you haven't already, do sfc /scannow from the Command Prompt (Admin) first. Get to it by right clicking on Start.

• Like 1

Just now, Steven P. said:

If you haven't already, do sfc /scannow from the Command Prompt (Admin) first. Get to it by right clicking on Start.

Did that too, yeah. It found that there were "some corrupted files" (how?) but it failed to fix them. DISM takes a while too, due to my slow internet connection. So it seems downloading the ISO from scratch seems to be a good way here :)

Found similar issues, but it's with the built-in Windows Update. They encounter the same error code, and all they did was stop Windows Update in Services, delete everything in Software Distribution, and reran Windows Update. I don't know if this information helps with my issue as I'm relying on WUSA, but then again there may be a pattern. :p