The (unsafe) future of Lumia devices.

It's clear from recent articles about Microsoft depleting stock of Lumia branded phones and making little or no effort to restock them, the writings on the wall and Lumias are being gradually phased out. Microsoft might introduce Surface branded phones at some point in the future, but that's strictly speculation right now.

The question is, for anyone that currently owns a Microsoft Lumia device running Windows 10 Mobile, or even for anyone that might be considering buying one while stocks last as perhaps a secondary phone, what is the likelyhood Microsoft could eventually discontinue OS update support for these devices, leaving Lumia owners in the lurch with increasingly insecure devices, and little or no option but to eventually, maybe reluctantly, switch to a phone running Android or iOS ... ?

• Like 1

If you get a Windows phone now, you are able to upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10 on it. And you are able to upgrade anytime as soon as the new version comes out.

It's up to you to use it as primary or secondary.

If you are not sure, then you can get either iOS or Android phone so you wouldn't worry about future since they are releasing updates.   

But if you get an Android phone from cellular provider then you may not get update right away ... they will release as soon as they are ready to release..   Google releases updates to the unlocked devices right way, Nexus for example.

12 minutes ago, DJGM said:

what is the likelyhood Microsoft could eventually discontinue OS update support for these devices

I would think pretty slim in the short term given it would further dwindle Microsoft's almost non existent market share. If they do yank official support users could possibly still get updated through the insider program. Pretty sure I still get latest updates on my 930 and it's over 2.5 years old.

In a year, Windows Mobile will most likely change yet again to support x86 apps, or a full blown version of Windows 10. So when that happens it will be Windows Phone 7 all over again, and not to mention Windows Phone 8/8.1 phones that aren't able to upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile. Unless Microsoft keeps two branches of Windows 10 Mobile for older phones, and the newer version for the newer chips (Snapdragon 835 supports full Windows on mobile devices) people are going to be left behind yet again.

Lets have a look at what Microsoft has done with Mobile.

- Windows Mobile up to 6.5

- Windows Phone 7 (any phone released prior to WP7 couldn't upgrade to it)

- Windows Phone 8 ( no WP7 devices could upgrade to this, as well as the recently released Lumia 900, it was only a few months old)

- Windows 10 Mobile - Microsoft promised that all WP8 devices could upgrade to this, but there are quite a few that got left out and can't upgrade

- Windows 10 Mobile/Desktop (2017-18?) Nothing under a Snapdragon 835 will support this.

I got onboard with the HTC 8X and Windows Phone 8 because at the time it seemed like Microsoft had finally got their act together, but just knowing what I know now, they aren't any closer today than when they announced Windows Phone 7 in 2010!

• Like 1