Trying to block a site using hosts file in windows 10, but it's not blocking

I am attempting to block a website using the hosts file in win10. I am using the format 127.0.0.1 site.name (does it mater if it's just domain.com does it need the http in front?), saving it (using notepad w/ admin privileges) and then double checking the file. I have even reset the system and it still seems to just ignore the fact that the site in question is blocked. Am I doing something incorrect, or is there something else that needs to be done?

• Like 1

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

I am attempting to block a website using the hosts file in win10. I am using the format 127.0.0.1 site.name, saving it (using notepad w/ admin privileges) and then double checking the file. I have even reset the system and it still seems to just ignore the fact that the site in question is blocked. Am I doing something incorrect, or is there something else that needs to be done?

What browser are you testing this with?

1 minute ago, kurupy said:

Instead of 127.0.0.1, try 0.0.0.0. I currently use https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts to filter traffic, an thats what they use. Hope it helps

I tried the 0.0.0.0 as well, I noticed that address was in the hosts file already from another program, and I tried replicating that as well, at this point IDK if the issue is that the site is cached and FF is loading the cached version or if there's something else going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I tried the 0.0.0.0 as well, I noticed that address was in the hosts file already from another program, and I tried replicating that as well, at this point IDK if the issue is that the site is cached and FF is loading the cached version or if there's something else going on.

Try clearing the cache and attempt to visit the website again.

7 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Try clearing the cache and attempt to visit the website again.

No effect. Site still loads just fine. Also just a FYI the FF has no extensions installed, so there is no conflict there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

If I wanted to block google with a host file this is what I would do

127.0.0.1 google.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly how I have it setup: 127.0.0.1 website.com I also have it as 0.0.0.0 website.com

• Like 1

Just now, exotoxic said:

Did you try cleaning the DNS cache?

cmd --> ipconfig /flushdns

Had not thought about that, I give it a go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Had not thought about that, I give it a go.

Again, nothing.

Tried in Edge, still goes through

• Like 1

Why not use opendns or some other block to block the sites you don't want them or yourself to visit. There are far better solutions than to use a host file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Random thought, but have you tried rebooting after making the edits and attempting to visit the webpage?

Not every time, but after initial change I rebooted the machine.

So far I have 1) Cleared the Cache 2)Flushed the DNS 3) Removed all cookies.

@sc302, I am going to do that now! I realized just as you said it that I have the router configured to use OpenDNS and Google's DNS as well, I check which one is the primary (hopefully OpenDNS)

• Like 1

If you create an account with opendns, you will be able to add your site/house/home internet and block access by category or by site name.  It is free to setup.

1 hour ago, sc302 said:

If you create an account with opendns, you will be able to add your site/house/home internet and block access by category or by site name.  It is free to setup.

Well it turns out that there is no way to set the router (Linksys WRT1900AC) to use OpenDNS, it will always default to the ISP's DNS server, which is asinine, but after some extensive research I have determined that to be the case for this router, at least until I install and open source firmware on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Well it turns out that there is no way to set the router (Linksys WRT1900AC) to use OpenDNS, it will always default to the ISP's DNS server, which is asinine, but after some extensive research I have determined that to be the case for this router, at least until I install and open source firmware on it.

I assume you are using a static IP if that is the case? If it is dynamic, yu can use a different DNS. You do that by providing the OpenDNS IPs in the DHCP Server settings on the Local Network tab of the Connectivity page.

they also have a config page here for that router https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228008007-Configuration-for-Linksys-Cisco-AC175-EA6300-EA6500-EA6900-WRT1900AC

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

you are looking in the wrong place.  change the dns to point to opendns in the below screenshot.

some give you the opportunity to change it in the internet setting tab (or whatever the equivalent terminology is in the different hardware manufacturers gui), others you change it in the local area connection, LAN or DHCP location). 

1.jpg

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

I assume you are using a static IP if that is the case? If it is dynamic, yu can use a different DNS. You do that by providing the OpenDNS IPs in the DHCP Server settings on the Local Network tab of the Connectivity page.

they also have a config page here for that router https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228008007-Configuration-for-Linksys-Cisco-AC175-EA6300-EA6500-EA6900-WRT1900AC

Thanks for that info!

19 minutes ago, sc302 said:

you are looking in the wrong place.  change the dns to point to opendns in the below screenshot.

some give you the opportunity to change it in the internet setting tab (or whatever the equivalent terminology is in the different hardware manufacturers gui), others you change it in the local area connection, LAN or DHCP location). 

1.jpg

You're correct, I was reading/looking in the wrong spot on the config page!

• Like 1

Success! I finally got it to block the site in question via OpenDNS! Talk about a giant PITA, but I finally got it.

• Like 3

Did you bother to do a simple test if host file entry was being used?

Edit host file as admin, put in your entries and then try and ping..  If this something else has been looked up recently then you would need to flush the cache..

This really is clickity clickity stuff.. So couple things - your browser had it cached, using a proxy so it doesn't even ask local system or dns - the proxy gets asked, etc. Your running some antivirus that prevents changes to hosts file sort of thing.. But its like 2 seconds to validate if what your putting in the host file is being used..

hostfile.png

blocksite.png

You have to make sure what your putting in the host file is what is actually being looked up too..  ie if your not going to say www.google.com then google.com would work, etc.