Resident Evil 7 cracked on PC in record 5 days

Monday, 30 January 2017 11:01 GMT By Shabana Arif

It’s bad news for upcoming games using Denuvo DRM.

Resident Evil 7 has been out for almost a week and the title uses the latest version of Denuvo which is notoriously hard to crack.

The last time we heard about a game with Denuvo DRM being cracked was Rise of the Tomb Raider last year, and at the time, Thomas Goebl, director of sales at Denuvo, said, “The general positioning of our product is ‘hard to crack’ and not ‘uncrackable’. For us it is important to secure the initial sales window of games, which worked out well on all the recent titles.”

He makes a good point. If you can prevent piracy in the launch window when sales are likely to be highest, you’ve warded off a potential threat to profit.

But things aren’t looking so rosy anymore.

Continues...

wow and I though denuvo was uncrackable!  I guess its a matter of time before crackers eventually own up a new technology

I would like to meet someday, someone in the game industry and ask them if the time and money spent in DRM, eventually came back to them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

Many games are cracked and released on the same day. There should be a way to prevent this.

But not for denuvo, it has been notoriously hard for cracking groups, it is THAT good!  

Perhaps how the asian market drives piracy?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

wow and I though denuvo was uncrackable!  I guess its a matter of time before crackers eventually own up a new technology

I would like to meet someday, someone in the game industry and ask them if the time and money spent in DRM, eventually came back to them?

I read a thing that on average is takes around 30 - 60 days to crack a game on it (this is impressive for RE7), and that's a success apparently, because that's when the bulk of sales go through.

In the age of steam, with practically endless experiences at low prices, I just haven't even thought about cracking games in like 10 years. The last times I was even actually doing this was to see if I wanted to buy it because software publishers just straight up stopped making demos. If they made demo's I bet their piracy rates would plummet.

I can go buy so many great games, some of which are definitely better than RE7, for like $5. It's ridiculous.

On the topic of Denuvo, they knew full well their crap can be cracked eventually. They served a decent purpose to postpone piracy for as long as possible; apparently about 5 days lol.

41 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

But not for denuvo, it has been notoriously hard for cracking groups, it is THAT good!  

Perhaps how the asian market drives piracy?

Most if not all COD games were cracked before release, so I have heard. I use Steam.

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Most if not all COD games were cracked before release, so I have heard. I use Steam.

CoD games haven't been protected by Denuvo, so far.

In fact, sales are so low for the series on PC that I doubt Activision cares to protect it.

I just want to point out that there quite a few games that been cracked and use Denuvo. I think people are getting better at it. Once one game been opened then it getting easier to get the next one opened and so on.

On the subject of DRM, did you know that several games on GOG have cracks in then?

20 minutes ago, astropheed said:

In the age of steam, with practically endless experiences at low prices, I just haven't even thought about cracking games in like 10 years. The last times I was even actually doing this was to see if I wanted to buy it because software publishers just straight up stopped making demos. If they made demo's I bet their piracy rates would plummet.

I can go buy so many great games, some of which are definitely better than RE7, for like $5. It's ridiculous.

On the topic of Denuvo, they knew full well their crap can be cracked eventually. They served a decent purpose to postpone piracy for as long as possible; apparently about 5 days lol.

Thats the thing, other denuvo games haven even been cracked yet

• Like 1

Just now, Draconian Guppy said:

Thats the thing, other denuvo games haven even been cracked yet

That doesn't mean they couldn't be. Just not worth the effort.

I'm not dismissing Denuvo at all, I'm defending them. It did a great job. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gary7 said:

I fail to understand your quote??:wacko:

The game can sell a lot on consoles and be one of the best selling games of 2016, but still have terrible sales on PC. Which is what I stated in my original comment and the reason for the lack of Activision's protection.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

The game can sell a lot on consoles and be one of the best selling games of 2016, but still have terrible sales on PC. Which is what I stated in my original comment and the reason for the lack of Activision's protection.

OK but when I quote someone, I normally post some text. :)

Haha. Awesome. If it was cracked in 5 days, that's gotta be some crappy encryption. I mean, seriously, with Steam around and Humble Bundle, whats the point of buying a game for $60? I refuse to buy new games when they come out, I have an XBOX One Gears of War Edition, I paid a decent price for it. But I refuse to spend $60 - $70 on every game that comes out, I'd spend more money on video games than I would on my addiction of junk food and soda.

Maybe this will force them to look at Steam in a more positive way.

• Like 1

On 31.1.2017 at 0:24 AM, Danielx64 said:

I just want to point out that there quite a few games that been cracked and use Denuvo. I think people are getting better at it. Once one game been opened then it getting easier to get the next one opened and so on.

On the subject of DRM, did you know that several games on GOG have cracks in then?

Even steam featured some game released such as Max Payne 1 or 2 containing a scene nocd.exe . They stripped the scene info after it became news. Maybe they lost the source?! .. but most likely were just plain lazy.

1 minute ago, FunkyMike said:

Even steam featured some game released such as Max Payne 1 or 2 containing a scene nocd.exe . They stripped the scene info after it became news. Maybe they lost the source?! .. but most likely were just plain lazy.

Technically they all have a "nocd.exe", you just don't see it. Steam acts as the "CD Emulator", to a certain point. I remember trying to play a game on Steam that I purchased but couldn't play due to not having an updated Steam Install. Google said to update, I did, and bam, the error of "missing blah blah blah" was gone after the update.

This makes me want to study reverse engineering, and start making bypasses for Denuvo DRM'd games exclusively. I know it'd be tough, but making stronger, and better encryption won't win. Companies spend years making a game that turns out to be a pile of ######, no ones going to spend $60 on a game that isn't liked. I find a lot of games are "idiot" friendly these days, too easy to beat, even on "hard mode". I'm quite good at figuring games out, and beating them. My brother and I beat the last Halo on Legendary in a matter of hours. My point being, make better games, and people might want to buy your stuff if it's decent. I've pirated games before, like C&C Tiberium Sun, why? Because my CDs broke, and I wanted to play the BEST game ever by Westwood Studios. Now that's a game that's fun as hell.

2 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

My point being, make better games, and people might want to buy your stuff if it's decent. I've pirated games before, like C&C Tiberium Sun, why? Because my CDs broke, and I wanted to play the BEST game ever by Westwood Studios. Now that's a game that's fun as hell.

I think this is some sort of dispute.  You own the game, yet CD broke, how is that piracy?   Paying again for a game you already payed is lunacy...

Reminds me one time I sent my old 8800GTX (bless her, still going somewhere), sent it to the USA (i'm in central america) for RMA (lifetimewarranty), came back, customs had me pay introduction because I didn't not get a special note saying it was already payed for the first time :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Probably more likely that the nocd's were so efficient at removing the outdated DRM and clean that it would be kind of pointless to dig around the archives and find someone to do the work that was already done. they probably only removed the scene info so it didn't look like they endorse this method.

• Like 2