So I bought a new Thermometer at Walmart

So I bought a new thermometer at Walmart tonight. One neat feature it has over my old one is if your temp is dangerously high it displays this.

33278029365_cbc6bfeb9c_c.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/5/2017 at 10:58 PM, warwagon said:

So I bought a new thermometer at Walmart tonight. One neat feature it has over my old one is if your temp is dangerously high it displays this.

33278029365_cbc6bfeb9c_c.jpg

those electronic ones are dangerously inaccurate.   I wish they still sell the mercury-based ones.   I tested it out when I was sick, and the temperature wick gave me varied by almost 5c compared to the different electronic one I bought and the the trusty mercury-based one my parents still have.

why is this in jokes section?  The cross is funny?

8 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

those electronic ones are dangerously inaccurate.   I wish they still sell the mercury-based ones.   I tested it out when I was sick, and the temperature wick gave me varied by almost 5c compared to the different electronic one I bought and the the trusty mercury-based one my parents still have.

why is this in jokes section?  The cross is funny?

what? Yours varied by 5C or 41F? Sounds a tad inaccurate. This new one registers about 1F higher than my old one.

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

what? Yours varied by 5C or 41F? Sounds a tad inaccurate. 

Sorry I meant 0.5 C   so instead of 37.5c it showed 37c   (98.6f instead of real 99.5f  - 0.9F difference)     

even 5c difference (from 37c to 42c) would still be 9f difference (98.6f to 107.6f)

you 41F comment makes no sense at all, as  we are talking about differences (and the scale is not linear anyway) :p

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

This new one registers about 1F higher than my old one.

1F difference in body temp is quite significant!  6.12F is the difference between normal and dangerous for your life, sound the alarm and lie in cold water!  

so if your thermometer is off by 1/6 of the usable range - it is an issue!

• Like 2

temporal thermometers are the best electronic ones you can get...you also pay for it.

If you read the directions, swipe from the center forehead to the hairline then behind an ear lobe for an accurate reading.  Many people don't like to read directions so they get inaccurate readings.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267477&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslGD_0VkRhHCi-mzwG-lSvitdFH6t-l6pUrzSRq3QNwAaAqBb8P8HAQ&camp=PLAPPCG-_-PID2787659%3aBRUS&cagpspn=plab_2787659&eESource=CAPLA_DF%3a2267477%3aTRUS

From page 8:

Remove protective cap before use. Be sure

lens is clean. If not, clean with cotton swab

dipped in alcohol and let dry. Hold the ther-

mometer as shown

Gently position the probe flush (flat) on the

center of the forehead, midway between the

eyebrow

and the hairline. Press and hold the

SCAN button.

Lightly slide the thermometer across the fore-

head keeping the sensor flat and in contact with the

skin until you reach the hairline.

You will hear a beeping and a red light will blink

to indicate a measurement is taking place.

If perspiration is present, continue to hold but-

ton depressed, lift probe

from forehead and touch

the neck just behind the ear lobe.

Release the SCAN button and remove the

thermometer from the head.

Read the temperature on the display.

Thermometer will shut off automatically after 30

seconds. To turn thermometer off immediately,

press and release the button quickly.

Replace the protective cap on thermometer to

protect the sensor when not in use.

16 minutes ago, sc302 said:

temporal thermometers are the best electronic ones you can get...you also pay for it.

If you read the directions, swipe from the center forehead to the hairline then behind an ear lobe for an accurate reading.  Many people don't like to read directions so they get inaccurate readings.

I agree with @sc302.  

I don't understand why they don't read the instructions before use.  Instructions is must!  Unless you have learned from parents if using same version of thermometer.   

If you get electric thermometer which is different from your parents, then you must read instructions .. it's not same as your parents'. 

If you have not used something before, you will have to read the instructions in order to work properly. Otherwise you will complain about issues or whatever. 

If you don't understand what the instructions are saying, ask someone who can help or show you how.