Loving the new Calculator

It's available on Creators Update, too. At some point it was deemed good enough to push through the Store.

I'm fine with it in terms of looks (and it won't be transparent if you've turned off transparency via Settings, which is nice), but as I mentioned in another topic, I do wish the minimum width was a bit less, like before. It's now perhaps a bit too wide for my liking.

EDIT: Also, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression Aero wasn't just skin-deep, but also included hardware acceleration for the desktop, which hasn't gone away, right? Transparency was just one element of it.

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

I'm fine with it in terms of looks (and it won't be transparent if you've turned off transparency via Settings, which is nice), but as I mentioned in another topic, I do wish the minimum width was a bit less, like before. It's now perhaps a bit too wide for my liking.

Actually, the default width it opens in isn't the minimum width.  You can make it narrower (and shorter) and it will keep that setting when you re-open it.

35 minutes ago, devHead said:

Actually, the default width it opens in isn't the minimum width.  You can make it narrower (and shorter) and it will keep that setting when you re-open it.

Yes, I said the "minimum width," not the default width. It's still wider than what was possible before. It's a minor complaint, but one that stuck out to me.

I don't. Translucency right behind expression is counterproductive. Not talking about everything else. You still can't edit expression. Every basic calculator on Android has it. It has poor localization, poor root capabilities, no all-in-one mode, so you won't switch with loosing everything when you need to see hex figure, no time calculation, misses lots of options in conversation mode etc etc. Functionality wise it's far away from to be complete, yet in two years they only added translucency.

37 minutes ago, coth said:

no time calculation

I see both "date calculation" and "time calculation." Is it missing something else?

Calculator_2.thumb.PNG.91f9ec43144167964f5eeb385cf9eec8.PNGCalculator_3.thumb.PNG.a62600f5fb2aa6a4cf3a79b788e44d99.PNG

5 hours ago, Quillz said:

It's available on Creators Update, too. At some point it was deemed good enough to push through the Store.

EDIT: Also, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression Aero wasn't just skin-deep, but also included hardware acceleration for the desktop, which hasn't gone away, right? Transparency was just one element of it.

It must be a random rollout because its not available to me in 1703.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

It must be a random rollout because its not available to me in 1703.

probably only insider previews, including release preview

35 minutes ago, coth said:

If you read what I quoted, someone said it was in the Creator's Update.

3 hours ago, coth said:

I'm on the Creators Update and it was pushed to me. I don't know when exactly, but sometime in the last week. So I guess it is a random rollout, as was mentioned.

None of my office PCs on Creator's Update have got it. I felt skeptical because those Project Neon APIs are only present in newer Fall Creator's Update builds.

8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

If you read what I quoted, someone said it was in the Creator's Update.

Release Preview is on 1703 as well right now.

20 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

I hope they improve the quality of blur. Right now it's very grainy.

They might be doing that on purpose? At least In one of the build sessions the presenter mentioned something about a grainy texture being applied to windows in the background. Of course that's when the transparency effect is deactivated. Apple actually used to do that a lot to achieve a more natural feel for background textures. Unfortunately they've since stopped doing so which is kind of a shame as it can have a soothing effect on the eyes. :( 

Outdated screenshot from a few years ago (notice the window background texture):

os-x-mavericks-app-store.jpg

20 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

24ch3dv.png

Loving the translucency. Return of Aero.

I hope they improve the quality of blur. Right now it's very grainy.

I like it, though it looks a little grainy, it looks like frosted glass.

4 hours ago, Active. said:

Apparently the noise really is by design:

acrylic.thumb.jpg.acb8a476921729bc040440aede473aa0.jpg

Noise really gives out low quality feel to the app.  Noisy photos, videos or tv transmission - We associate noise with low quality. They actually do have idiots with no asthetic sense in their UI team. lol