Netflix: The Witcher TV Series (December 20th, 2019)

2 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Eh. I'm still on the fence. It looks like it's trying a little too hard to be the next Game of Thrones.

I think the issue is that many people only know it from the games, but Netflix is going with the novels, and there is a number of differences between the two. 

7 minutes ago, George P said:

I think the issue is that many people only know it from the games, but Netflix is going with the novels, and there is a number of differences between the two. 

geralt was prettier in the games

Few observations,

• The trailer feels a bit dull. Like B movie territory.
  • Cavil is too bulky to play an agile monster hunter.
  • Ciri's actor is too old. Older actors playing kids never works well. 
  • They really went hard on American multi-racial casting. Gotta get those woke points I guess.

• 3 months later...

And if anyone missed it in the scene where Geralt says "I had them filed down", an orgy is taking place in the background.

Surprised that's allowed on youtube in the current year. 😂

Anyways, it looks just okay. Not bad or good. I'll probably watch it.

4 hours ago, trag3dy said:

And if anyone missed it in the scene where Geralt says "I had them filed down", an orgy is taking place in the background.

Surprised that's allowed on youtube in the current year. 😂

Anyways, it looks just okay. Not bad or good. I'll probably watch it.

It's blurry so it's sort of censored you could say.  Plus it's in the background, how many people would notice?   

3 minutes ago, George P said:

It's blurry so it's sort of censored you could say.  Plus it's in the background, how many people would notice?   

Not a lot going by the youtube comments.

I mostly pointed it out because it answered my question as to the sort of rating they are going for since neither the games or books are what we'd call family friendly.

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

Not a lot going by the youtube comments.

I mostly pointed it out because it answered my question as to the sort of rating they are going for since neither the games or books are what we'd call family friendly.

It's following the books more than the games so that should give any book readers a good idea of what to expect.  I guess it'd be TV-MA?  Or does netflix follow the movie theater rating system, in which case R is a safe bet.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, techbeck said:

So far, really enjoying the show.  On episode 4 so far. 

I'm up to ep6, gonna finish it tonight.  I really like this to, season 2 can't come fast enough.

Spoiler

One thing people need to keep an eye out for is that parts of the season are set at different time periods and the show doesn't give you any indication, no dates nothing.  It figures the audience has a brain and will figure it out.  Just a heads up, if you feel like something doesn't fit as you're watching.  Just take a min and you'll understand.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:32 AM, Som said:

geralt was prettier in the games

I don't know how Geralt was in the books, since I didn't read the books; but yea one of the things that turns me off is Cavil playing the role feels off, like he's wearing a Witcher Halloween costume, and the fighting seems to be imitating the game's fighting which doesn't work the same when filmed, so it all feels kind of fake-ish.

Note, I haven't seen the series yet.

Never read the books or really played that much of the games. But I really enjoyed season 1. Can't wait for season 2

2 hours ago, redfish said:

I don't know how Geralt was in the books, since I didn't read the books; but yea one of the things that turns me off is Cavil playing the role feels off, like he's wearing a Witcher Halloween costume, and the fighting seems to be imitating the game's fighting which doesn't work the same when filmed, so it all feels kind of fake-ish.

I was a little turned off by him playing Geralt as well, but he was good and fits the part.  I would wait until you actually watch the show before commenting to much.  Season 1 was good.

8 hours ago, redfish said:

The fighting is good, you should watch it first and then see if you like it. 

8 hours ago, Rudnartim said:

Never read the books or really played that much of the games. But I really enjoyed season 1. Can't wait for season 2

Season 1 is based on the prequel short stories that take place before the main saga books. Season 2 should start into the first book proper. 

I really enjoyed it. played the games never read the books. but I had a lot of fun watching the series. I am episode 5 now and i think it is very well done

I've started watching it and I've got to say I'm enjoying it. I read a BBC review first which pointed out that it's trying to do a GoT thing politically which will turn people off. I admit that the first episode threw so many names and factions around that I started to glaze over. But once it got going I was able to ignore the various unknown names and focus on the main plots.

And while I haven't played the games or read the books, if I compare Henry Cavill to the gameplay footage I've seen I've got to say I find his lookalike to be really suited for the part.

I'll continue watching, and I'm already geared up for season two. It's a pity that if it happens it will be a while.

The show is really good, Superman nailed the character.

But Yennifer, Merigold and Ciri are turned down for me as a gamer.

difference.jpg

Edited by Xahid