2 HDD how do you use it?

I know this is a super geeky question but whatever. So I recently installed a 2nd HDD (2TB) because my main SSD M.2 (512GB) was close to maxing out. I'm curious how others use their 2nd hds on their computers. I've never more than 1 installed, other than externals for backing up.

But do you just put your games on your 2nd drive, downloads folder. And what issue have you had with having a 2nd HDD. Thanks.

I have 6 (for various storage and work in progress)

Nothing apart from os and non customisable installation on my c: drive (128gb ssd)

If your os drive was smaller I would have said go os on c: and everything else on d:

Another alternative available to you is os and all software apart from games on c:.. And everything else onto d:

• Like 3

Wow! 6 drives that's crazy. So you just have your OS on your 128GB SDD and keep everything else on your 6 drives, documents, pictures, downloads etc?

• Like 2

I have 5 hard drives

SSD = boot drive

1TB = F drive = setup files and OS's and Application installers.

1TB = D drive = The important data is stored there.

1TB = G Drive = nothing particular.

1TB = S drive. which is a backup of the D and F drive. (Backs up nightly)

Then once a month I backup F and D to an external 2TB drive and take it to the bank and swap it and bring the one from the bank home, backup to that one too and then disconnected it. Then the next month rinse and repeat.

Then once a week the most important folder on D is backed up to 2 64GB flash drives and once a month 1 of the flash drives is taken the the bank and swapped out and the one from the bank is brought home and also backed up and disconnected.

Also once a night the contents of D is backed up to the cloud.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I have 5 hard drives

SSD = boot drive

1TB = F drive = setup files and OS's and Application installers.

1TB = D drive = The important data is stored there.

1TB = G Drive = nothing particular.

1TB = S drive. which is a backup of the D and F drive. (Backs up nightly)

Then once a month I backup F and D to an external 2TB drive and take it to the bank and swap it and bring the one from the bank home, backup to that one too and then disconnected it. Then the next month rinse and repeat.

Then once a week the most important folder on D is backed up to 2 64GB flash drives and once a month 1 of the flash drives is taken the the bank and swapped out and the one from the bank is brought home and also backed up and disconnected.

Also once a night the contents of D is backed up to the cloud.

Dayum! Thats some in-depth thought out backups!

I have:

256 M.2 for OS

256 SSD for other OS (I go between Manjaro and Mint)

3TB external for backup for family

3TB external for movie backups

Have scattered on my desk, all unused, 2x 120 SSD, 2x 320 HDD, 2x 640 HDD, 500 HDD, 1.5TB HDD

C Drive - SSD
OS, installed programs, the odd game that I play online, so I can join the matches quicker (installed to D drive but junction pointed the files to the SSD).

D Drive - HDD
Music and installed games

E Drive - HDD
Desktop, home videos, photos, TV shows etc.

F Drive - External HDD
Movies

1 minute ago, thisdude said:

Now that I have a 2TB drive I think I might rip my DVDs to it. Can anyone recommend an easy ripper for this?

MakeMKV can rip BluRays and DVD's, although for Blu-Rays it is paid for, unless you use the free beta codes they release on their forums regularly. DVD ripping in it is totally free, :) and rips to ultimate quality MKV.

Thanks Tidosho I'm checking out the website right now. So it rips directly to a MKV file? Is there any other 2nd step? Seems like that's a 2nd step when I've read about ripping your DVDs. A simple rip to a viewable file is perfect for me.

2 minutes ago, thisdude said:

Thanks Tidosho I'm checking out the website right now. So it rips directly to a MKV file? Is there any other 2nd step? Seems like that's a 2nd step when I've read about ripping your DVDs. A simple rip to a viewable file is perfect for me.

You just scan the disc, select chapters if needed, and hit go! MKV are widely playable in most modern video apps, including VLC, without any messing about with codecs.

Just now, thisdude said:

Right on that's sounds great to me, thanks!

My pleasure :)

my gaming rig in my sig, paired with an EVGA Founders 1080ti, has 6 SSDs paired up in RAID0 striped pairs.

Samsung Evo 840s

2x123Gb making  224Gb Windows & apps volume

Samsung 850 Evos

2x256Gbs making 466Gb GamesI volume

2x256Gb making 466Gb Games II volume

ssds.thumb.jpg.c83cd1627cefe7e2fb2ff556bc171bf9.jpg

All my RAID volumes hit 1Gb/sec R/ws easily.

Media and non games or files are stored on my NAS so all my devices on my home LAN has access.

Edited by Mando

3 minutes ago, thisdude said:

Wow that's a lot of space for games. That'd be cool to see a list of the games you have.

tbh these days, its not that much space, im about 65% full on my games vols with approx 22 titles installed atm.

593db0b297e9a_currentgames.thumb.jpg.9a03bcc74f9f23a13e192d65ed2da57f.jpg

vols.thumb.jpg.c705783543c1e50d1c1c5123cb74a543.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thisdude said:

That's still a nice set up though!

thanks, i already had 4 ssds in a previous build, before buying the two other 256 evo 850s the PC itself is only 2 months old. when prices drop a touch, ill probs go 512s, and use the nvme ports my board has.

Id rather not tally up how much it would cost to build it all from new :p, coupled with the Corsair case i bought and the liquid cooling Corsair 115, all being powered by a EVGA 650W GS PSU. 

Saving and waiting for a good gaming 4k monitor when they arrive, total overkill of a build as its currently a 1080p display :p

11 hours ago, thisdude said:

Wow! 6 drives that's crazy. So you just have your OS on your 128GB SDD and keep everything else on your 6 drives, documents, pictures, downloads etc?

That's correct, Originally it was just the os on c:, and some installation files that couldn't be installed to other drives, for whatever reason. But lately, due to workflow, I've been using c: for some quick 'save and return to' purposes also

Here's a quick snapshot of my labels

Image1.thumb.jpg.1593719f479efef2abe63a1e998ed708.jpg