Motherboard Upgrade for AIO. Is it feasible?

15 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Great Idea's, but that E-Series CPU has got to go. If he can't replace that craptastic CPU, I wouldn't bother. That CPU gets pegged at 100% CPU so easily. Passmark gives that CPU a score of 691. To put in perspective an Intel Atom Z3735G (the one which is in the HP Stream 8 tablet) .. gets a passmark score of 909.

Whenever an AMD E-Series Desktop / Laptop comes into my office for repair, I cry inside, because I know the repair is going to take 3x longer than it should.

the chips soldered into the socket i believe so no replacement.

sell it on and build new

/end of post.

33 minutes ago, Mando said:

the chips soldered into the socket i believe so no replacement.

sell it on and build new

/end of post.

Or use it as target practice. I have a shell of an AMD v20 AIO computer in my basement with a screen and that's no motherboard. Ran into the same issue 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

39 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Or use it as target practice. I have a shell of an AMD v20 AIO computer in my basement with a screen and that's no motherboard. Ran into the same issue 

or bung Kubuntu and Kodi on it and use it for a media portal :) 

Hello,

I do not believe I mentioned upgrading the CPU, just the memory, WLAN card and storage.  Apologies for any confusion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 14/09/2017 at 2:46 PM, DevTech said:

7. A super fantastic great superb LCD screen if you dislike eye strain

You know what...you hit a Bull's eye here!
Definitely LCDs are much-much soothing, cooler & comfortable to eyes than LEDs.
LED emit searing HEAT all the time & enervate you so quickly!
Installed "CareUEyes" just a day ago & witnessed Sea-change in Energy-levels all throughout my day!
For the very first time since AIO purchase I have been able to emulate LCD-like Cooling experience with my machine.

On 14/09/2017 at 3:52 PM, DevTech said:

I think he was trying to say that as a consumer, he was trying to use WEI as a method of comparing computers when considering which one to buy.

I would like to observe WEI Score as the essential constituent of the "Technical-specifications" across all variants listed on e-commerce portals. One should also be able to apply such a 'Filter' to narrow-down on the Final choice.  Similarly, retail outlets must affix such Scores Upfront to let the Ordinary discern over Price tag vs factual Output/efficiency. 

Edited by saurabhdua
Append

6 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I do not believe I mentioned upgrading the CPU, just the memory, WLAN card and storage.  Apologies for any confusion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Please don't (for my own sanity) apologize for something you didn't do.

Somebody mentioned an AMD CPU upgrade but I can't find it so either I slipped into a slightly different timeline/universe or some post was edited.

Either way, not you! Or maybe I need to slip farther across alternate realities to get to the Evil Goretsky!

On 14/09/2017 at 3:42 PM, Mando said:

wait for it to finish and close the command prompt, then open game explorer to see the result.

If previously calibrated, there is also an alternate way to scour WEI Score.

Start>>Run>>Type-- shell:Games & press Enter.

A dismal 4.0 in this case. 

Neowin-I.jpg

Neowin-II.jpg

13 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

I would like to observe WEI Score as the essential constituent of the "Technical-specifications" across all variants listed on e-commerce portals. One should also be able to apply such a 'Filter' to narrow-down on the Final choice.  Similarly, retail outlets must affix such Scores Upfront to let the Ordinary discern over Price tag vs factual Output/efficiency. 

Your idea only works if you find a blue police box that's bigger on the inside and steal it to go back a few years and wander through your local Best Buy for the best WEI score.

It only takes a tiny amount of research anyways to know which CPU's and GPU's are horrible junk by just looking at the specs of the lowest priced computers and then avoiding anything they list.

17 minutes ago, DevTech said:

by just looking at the specs of the lowest priced computers and then avoiding anything they list.

...but common-sense also make you believe to go for the economical variant because the Price of hardware have plummeted over these years!

Nevertheless, every component/unit is getting manufactured in China these days...so price ought to be Cheap!..No??

& finally, e-commerce portals must be mandated to mention the reference to the Official Webpage of that variant to facilitate a Cross-check on the part of end buyer.

The following came as a Rude-shock too much after the actual purchase!

This post has more to do with the earnest plea to "empower" Consumer somehow !

Neowin-IV.jpg

37 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

...but common-sense also make you believe to go for the economical variant because the Price of hardware have plummeted over these years!

Nevertheless, every component/unit is getting manufactured in China these days...so price ought to be Cheap!..No??

& finally, e-commerce portals must be mandated to mention the reference to the Official Webpage of that variant to facilitate a Cross-check on the part of end buyer.

The following came as a Rude-shock too much after the actual purchase!

This post has more to do with the earnest plea to "empower" Consumer somehow !

Neowin-IV.jpg

Ancient Rome: Caveat Emptor

Nothing changed since then.

If you analyze the PC market carefully, the highest profit segment is the low end. The worst possible junk is sold at the low end by using naming conventions and branding from the high end components.

Companies will sell a CPU or whatever with some sort of model number and then use a similar model number with a small variation in number or by adding a letter suffix, reduce the value in half. Consumers don't pick up on these tiny details and they are too lazy to do even a simple internet search to get rankings of CPU and GPU and other components.

The upper price range actually has a lot more hardware value since that sort of "product shaving" is not possible with consumers that pay top dollar and hence the flagship models are low volume and also low margin and exist only to anchor the profitable junk at the low end.

It gets even worse. If a product gets good reviews at the low or mid range and sells in decent volume, then the manufacturer starts shaving bits here and there, using slower CPUs or Hard drives so eventually the product being sold has no relation to the original product that was reviewed. Sometimes they get caught at this, most of the time they don't. Reviewers don't have time. "Old News is No News"

For PC's, anything cheap is cheap crap. Get used to that. Stay away from the bottom. It will be hard enough to get something decent in the middle.

And FWIW the most expensive stuff in the PC is not Chinese. CPU and GPU are American, RAM is Korean, Japanese etc and is always being price-fixed, Hard Drives are Western Digital and Seagate and SSD are Samsung and others. Just not the same thing as Chinese goods destined for Walmart! (but motherboards, power supplies and cases tend to be Chinese)

My advice would be to scrap that computer. Buy a new computer or see what you can salvage out of that to put into a new box (it may only be the ram). Understand that the processor is junk, the motherboard is junk, the power supply is junk, the monitor is junk (because it is a all in one), the cd/DVD is junk. The only 2 things left really is the memory and hard drive.

Put a budget together, if you are willing to spend the money might as well get the best you can piece together. I normally suggest buying a prebuilt because it just isn't worth it, but being that you are on a tight budget you can build one slightly better than you can buy one. But if you are just going to have someone build it anyway, it will be cheaper to buy yourself.

Building gives you time to source parts and can spread the cost over months, buying a prebuilt is a larger sum up front. I don't know what you do and don't have available there, so you will have to do your own bit of research. I am a bit of an intel fan so I would go with an i5 if it were me but that may be out of budget for you. You could essentially build a pc for around $300 usd here but I have no clue what it would cost there for a similar build.

Not sure if this helps you
http://bitsnapper.com/best-pc-killer-rig-budget-may-2017-india/

4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

My advice would be to scrap that computer. 

He was told that last year, about the same time everyone advised that he should remove XP and use a more modern and supported os. 

My guess is either his budget doesn't allow for a newer rig, or sheer stubbornness.

He was told that last year, about the same time everyone advised that he should remove XP and use a more modern and supported os. 
My guess is either his budget doesn't allow for a newer rig, or sheer stubbornness.

Yep I remember. And he went with the cheapest and easiest option to try to help with performance. That thing just is too slow to get out of its own way.

13 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

none at all required mate :)

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

Yep I remember. And he went with the cheapest and easiest option to try to help with performance. That thing just is too slow to get out of its own way.

He has a unique way of looking at the world that leads him into wrong conclusions about things,

Instead of taking the PC marketplace for what it is and then saving money to get good value by spending more, he decides that prices should have dropped by now and he is somehow failing to see "the great deals" at the low end due to his lack of technical knowledge.

I'm bringing this up because the challenge here is communication. Nobody has been successful, but maybe it is just a matter of the right set of words.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saurabhdua said:

What a reference!

Thanks again!

I now drop a Full-Stop to a further discussion on this Topic.

I appreciate wholeheartedly the Patience of all on this Forum. 

Well done. :-)

Your welcome mate, and best of luck, learn from the first PC purchase. :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I have a recollection, but I REALLY don't want to get told off :p

Nah, doesnt matter anymore honestly.
With all the censorship lately - I think my days @ neowin are coming to an end anyway - I rarely post anymore as it is..