It took Nintendo Switch just six months to hit half the Wii U's lifetime sales

It took Nintendo Switch just six months to hit half the Wii U's lifetime sales

Splatoon 2 sold 3.6m in just over two months.

By Tom Phillips Published 30/10/2017

Nintendo has raised its Switch hardware sales forecast and now expects to shift 14m consoles before the end of the financial year.

The company's previous estimate was 10m.

Nintendo Switch has, in six months, clocked up half of the Wii U's lifetime sales.

The Switch has now sold 7.63m units. Wii U finished up on 13.56m units after five years.

More than 27.48m Switch games have now been sold. Impressively, Splatoon 2 sold 3.61m units since its launch in late July until the end of September.

Continues...

Goes to show what they can achieve when they have a clear, coherent marketing plan for their console instead of the confusing disaster that was the Wii U marketing campaign. 

I ordered my Switch/Odyssey bundle yesterday. It should be here by the end of the week. I look forward to drinking beer and playing Mario all weekend.

The worst part is, the Switch is just the Wii U 2 essentially. I guess a better launch helped get people interested. However, for Wii U owners there still isn't much reason to buy one as of yet.

Ah well, good job Nintendo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

The worst part is, the Switch is just the Wii U 2 essentially. I guess a better launch helped get people interested. However, for Wii U owners there still isn't much reason to buy one as of yet.

Ah well, good job Nintendo.

I think they've given people lots of reasons to upgrade. It's clearly not going to be defined by having the best graphics is the industry, but then, neither did the PS2 and it outsold it's competition.

So long as they can keep the release schedule packed, which looks possible for the foreseeable future, it looks like the success will continue until 2019 at the very least.

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think they've given people lots of reasons to upgrade. It's clearly not going to be defined by having the best graphics is the industry, but then, neither did the PS2 and it outsold it's competition.

So long as they can keep the release schedule packed, which looks possible for the foreseeable future, it looks like the success will continue until 2019 at the very least.

The PS2 was still a big leap in terms of graphics though. DVD playback also helped its cause.

I feel the Switch was designed with people who skipped the Wii U in mind. It's successful so far, but only because they are releasing first party Wii U titles with slight upgrades within the first year. Perhaps the 2018 releases will be different. Although I have heard rumours of them planing to release Smash 4 again, because an update added hidden support for the Gamecube adaptor.

16 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

The PS2 was still a big leap in terms of graphics though. DVD playback also helped its cause.

True, but the Switch also offers something that the PS4 and X1 can't. And unless Nintendo want to compete with themselves, I think we will see more 3DS developers move their IPs over to the console (we already know Pokémon RPG is coming), and an end to their traditional mobile handheld console. It makes little sense to have the Switch, iOS/Android versions of games and a portable.

16 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I feel the Switch was designed with people who skipped the Wii U in mind. It's successful so far, but only because they are releasing first party Wii U titles with slight upgrades within the first year. Perhaps the 2018 releases will be different, although I have heard rumours of them planing to release Smash 4, because an update added hidden support for the Gamecube adaptor.

Isn't that what people want? The biggest complaint was the lack of first party support and how spaced out the support was for the Wii / U. Right now we have these confirmed 1st party games to look forward to:

• Fire Emblem,
  • Kirby,
  • Metroid Prime 4,
  • Pokémon,
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2,
  • Yoshi

Those are just the big first party titles to look forward to, with a much larger third party line up of AAA and indies. Besides TLOZ and MK8D, these are all new titles and not just for those who missed out on Wii U. But then, lots of people are missing out on Wii U games as well because they disliked the console. Why not give those games the second chance they deserve? A portable HD version of Smash 4 would be amazing for the FGC. The PS4 and X1 saw a flood of "HD remasters" in 2014/5 and I'm sure more are still to come. Plus it wouldn't be so bad for the "Nintendo-only" households to see some of the best AAA games which never made it to the Wii U, ala Skyrim.

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

True, but the Switch also offers something that the PS4 and X1 can't. And unless Nintendo want to compete with themselves, I think we will see more 3DS developers move their IPs over to the console; we already know Pokémon RPG is coming.

Isn't that what people want? The biggest complaint was the lack of first party support and how spaced out the support was for the Wii U. Right now we have:

• Fire Emblem
  • Kirby,
  • Metroid Prime 4,
  • Pokémon,
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2,
  • Yoshi

Those are just the big first party titles to look forward to, with a much larger third party line up of AAA and indies. Besides TLOZ and MK8D, these are all new titles and not just for those who missed out on Wii U. But then, lots of people are missing out on Wii U games as well because they disliked the console. Why not give those games the second chance they deserve? A portable HD version of Smash 4 would be amazing for the FGC.

That's the argument for every modern Nintendo system. I'm not sure it will work in Nintendo's favour forever.

From the titles you've listed, only one of those is close to completion as far as I'm aware. Gamers aren't exactly patient, It's one of the many reasons the Wii U failed.   Having third party support this time around is nice and all, but Nintendo is solely relying on the portability of the Switch. Graphical power isn't exactly its strength, and as we all know, people these days are all about power considering the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X is a thing.  

Anyway, we'll see the proper results for the Switch by the end of 2018. If it's still a success by then, I'll be convinced that Nintendo knows what they are doing. I think the Wii U flopping has made me more cautious.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 8:44 AM, compl3x said:

I ordered my Switch/Odyssey bundle yesterday. It should be here by the end of the week. I look forward to drinking beer and playing Mario all weekend.

I was just collecting some Moons last night before bed. It is such a great game. Enjoy.

Also I do hope Breath Of The Wild is part of your plan as well.

I never beat a Zelda game. Never. I played most of them as well, but just always lost interest. Never was fully my cup of tea.

I have put more time into BotW than any other game in the past 5 years. Possibly even 10 years. The only games I know I have played more are Counter Strike and Battlefield 2. Otherwise my next most played game is BotW, and I really maybe play games 25% of what I used to. That should hopefully say something. It is just a brilliant game and perfect on the portability of the Switch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2017 at 1:13 AM, DirtyLarry said:

I was just collecting some Moons last night before bed. It is such a great game. Enjoy.

Also I do hope Breath Of The Wild is part of your plan as well.

I never beat a Zelda game. Never. I played most of them as well, but just always lost interest. Never was fully my cup of tea.

I have put more time into BotW than any other game in the past 5 years. Possibly even 10 years. The only games I know I have played more are Counter Strike and Battlefield 2. Otherwise my next most played game is BotW, and I really maybe play games 25% of what I used to. That should hopefully say something. It is just a brilliant game and perfect on the portability of the Switch.

Getting BotW soon. I will probably even spring for a Pro controller because that is supposed to be a better experience.

Odyssey is super fun. It might be my favourite Mario game ever. It is the one I have been waiting for.