Four new Star Trek shows in the works as TV universe expands

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/6/19/17479570/new-star-trek-tv-shows-cbs

According to Variety, four new Trek series are actively in development at the network, presumably as programming for CBS All Access, the streaming-only service that premiered Star Trek Discovery in late 2017.

More at the link above.

• Like 2

Discovery is really good, however four new shows is worrying. I can't help but think CBS are trying to do a Disney and just keep churning new stuff out (Marvel / Star Wars) until people are sick of seeing it.

You can have too much of a good thing... however it really surprised me how much I enjoyed Discovery so i'll certainly remain open minded.

As long as one of the shows is a continuation of the Prime Universe after DS9/VOY I'll be happy, I want some of the books adapted, specifically the ones dealing with the Caeliar and the origin of the borg.

LOL I sense a ST:Academy finally happening but it will be like Melrose Place & Dawson's Creek (takes place on Earth of course) and it will be the one Star Trek show I'll never watch lol.

I was an Enterprise fan, but I got sick of the Xindi/Daniels plot, Enterprise was great in its 4th and final season.

Like others have said elsewhere I'd like to see a show based around Section 31 because that can even introduce tech that is illegal/in testing etc. There would a lot of room to go in a series like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew S. said:

As long as one of the shows is a continuation of the Prime Universe after DS9/VOY I'll be happy, I want some of the books adapted, specifically the ones dealing with the Caeliar and the origin of the borg.

That would be good.  Always wanted a continuation after Voyager.  But the way things are looking, they are going to flood TV with new Star Trek until people get sick of it.  Like Star Wars.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

LOL I sense a ST:Academy finally happening but it will be like Melrose Place & Dawson's Creek (takes place on Earth of course) and it will be the one Star Trek show I'll never watch lol.

I don't have a problem with a Star Trek show being aimed at a different audience, much as Star Wars has done with Clone Wars and Rebels. As long as there are other Star Trek shows aimed at the core demographic it's fine.

25 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I was an Enterprise fan, but I got sick of the Xindi/Daniels plot, Enterprise was great in its 4th and final season.

I thought the Xindi plot was what saved Enterprise and that's when most of the fans got behind it. The problem was that the first two seasons were really slow and lacked pace - the plots and characters were very one-dimensional, usually revolving around 'trust me', 'no, you trust me'. Season 3 had several multi-episode arcs and had an overarching narrative; it had intrigue, pace and action. Season 4 started with the terrible WWII plot-line, though the Romulan plot and Mirror Universe episodes later was excellent; the final episode though was inexcusable.

The reality is we'll maybe see one of these shows, two at the max, appear. Studios usually have multiple movies and series in development at the same time but that doesn't mean they'll all appear at the same time. Even during peak Star Trek we only had two series running simultaneously (TNG and DS9, then DS9 and VOY). What I want to see is a return to the positive messaging that TOS and TNG were famous for - optimism for the future, not just relentless pessimism. I don't want to see interpersonal conflict between the crew, I want to see them working together to solve mysteries, escape dangerous situations and face tough moral dilemmas. I want to see an X-Files like narrative, where you have individual episodes focusing on the Villain of the Week™ that can be watched individually but that link into a larger mystery.

• Like 3

Got to stop those subscribers from canceling during the lack of new discovery. I canceled as soon as I was done with the season finale, and won't renew until season 2 episode 1. Not paying 9 bucks a month for half the year and nothing to watch.

Love these ideas though, minus the animated one.

It'd be great to see a post voyager/nemisis series. That one might do even better than discovery.

Edited by shockz

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Like others have said elsewhere I'd like to see a show based around Section 31 because that can even introduce tech that is illegal/in testing etc. There would a lot of room to go in a series like that.

I'd love a dark trek, either based on s31 or alt universe. The purists will bitch and moan about this forever though, as it goes against Roddenberry's utopian future view. I say let it happen. 

And agreed on ent. I'd love a season 5. 4 was great and it finally found it's bearings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shockz said:

Got to stop those subscribers from canceling during the lack of new discovery. I canceled as soon as I was done with the season finale, and won't renew until season 2 episode 1. Not paying 9 bucks a month for half the year and nothing to watch.

Love these ideas though, minus the animated one.

It'd be great to see a post voyager/nemisis series. That one might do even better than discovery.

That could very well be the reason for this.  Many people probably did what you did, stopped the sub when it ended and will pick it up with season 2.  Still, these types of shows, do to the FX, at least with discovery, means they'll be off the air for a good chunk of time between seasons.   I think they can pull off more shows as long as they cycle them.  So Discovery season 2 ends and season 1 of new show #1 starts, then new show #2 starts when #1's first season ends and so on.

People have also wanted a show set in the Academy for a long time, so I think it'll be a hit with the younger CW type fans out there.

I'm also down with a good animated series, why not?  You could go crazy with good CGI and do things that would cost way too much to do in real life shows.

Oooh ... A series based upon S31? WANT. NEED. MUST HAVE. Something like a S31 at odds with itself? Doing the "dirty work of the Federation"? Booyah. I'd sub to All Access for that and Discovery alone.

I play ST:Online but I'm not entirely kosher with the (apparently) "canon" storyline in the game. A generation removed from the end of ST: Voyager and we're warring with the Klingon Empire ...? Cool-ish with the remnants of the Romulan Empire? Save the Dominion survivors? Ehhh ... I dunno.

We'll have to see what's what.

I wouldn't mind seeing Patrick Stewart reprise his hole.  Even if it was just a cameo.   Or better yet, find out what happened to Data timeline after Nemesis. 

32 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Patrick Stewart reprise his hole.  Even if it was just a cameo.   Or better yet, find out what happened to Data timeline after Nemesis. 

As nice as it would be to get answers to a few things post-Nemesis, the hard truth is that the TNG movies, except for first contact, did terrible.    As good of a tv series as TNG was it just never hit it off on the big screen like the original crew did.  There are some scenes in the original TOS movies that still get to me even after all these years.  But with all the TNG movies? eh, nothing, the Data bit at the end of Nemesis came close to something but they really just tried to pull a Spock and failed.

12 hours ago, George P said:

As nice as it would be to get answers to a few things post-Nemesis, the hard truth is that the TNG movies, except for first contact, did terrible.    As good of a tv series as TNG was it just never hit it off on the big screen like the original crew did.  There are some scenes in the original TOS movies that still get to me even after all these years.  But with all the TNG movies? eh, nothing, the Data bit at the end of Nemesis came close to something but they really just tried to pull a Spock and failed.

Oh, I dont mean a while new TNG series.  Just a new series that touches a little on what happened after Nemesis and to Data.  I didn't mind the other movies but Nemesis ticked me off a little since technically, they killed of Data and Data has always been my favorite character since watching the series on air.  I feel like I was left hanging.

14 hours ago, techbeck said:

Report: A Next Generation Sequel Could Be Included in Alex Kurtzman's Expansive New Star Trek Deal 

In the wake of shocking allegations against Star Trek: Discovery’s showrunners, producer Alex Kurtzman recently took over the role of showrunning the latest Trek series’ sophomore season. But according to multiple reports today, he’s just signed a new deal with CBS that could usher in multiple new Star Trekshows. Hold on to your butts...

Variety reports that Kurtzman has inked a $25 million deal with CBS as part of a five-year plan to bring more Trek shows to TV in the wake of Discovery’s success. According to the site, five series are currently in early development:

A teen-oriented series set at Starfleet Academy from Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, the duo behind the recent Dynasty reboot and Marvel’s Runaways adaptation.

A limited series with a currently confidential plot.

A limited series based around the beloved character Khan, from the original Star Trek and the classic film The Wrath of Khan—something that’s been rumored for a while as being spearheaded by Wrath of Khan director Nicholas Meyer.

An animated series with another currently confidential plot.

However, The Hollywood Reporter might have details on at least one of those mysterious limited series. The trade reports that one show in Kurtzman’s new deal could bring back one of Trek’s most beloved characters: Sir Patrick Stewart’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR, both Kurtzman and producer Akiva Goldsman (who departed Discovery after its first season) are attached to the series, which would be lead by Stewart reprising his role as Picard.

Although a new post on the official Star Trek website has confirmed that a new deal has been signed for Kurtzman to “extend the Star Trek franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation,” it doesn’t mention any of the above details about what those series may entail. We’ve reached out to CBS for a comment regarding the rumors surrounding Kurtzman’s new deal—we’ll update this post if we hear more.

Indeed. io9/Gizmodo

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

Oh, I dont mean a while new TNG series.  Just a new series that touches a little on what happened after Nemesis and to Data.  I didn't mind the other movies but Nemesis ticked me off a little since technically, they killed of Data and Data has always been my favorite character since watching the series on air.  I feel like I was left hanging.

Read the books, Data made a backup of his neural net before beaming over.  Doc. Soong brought him back to life.

Just now, Matthew S. said:

Read the books, Data made a backup of his neural net before beaming over.  Doc. Soong brought him back to life.

I don't have time to read the books.

I know he made a backup and put it into the other Data that was found.  But that Data was a little...special...and was not the same.  And Doc Soong died during the serious.  Unless this is a relative.

2 hours ago, techbeck said:

I don't have time to read the books.

I know he made a backup and put it into the other Data that was found.  But that Data was a little...special...and was not the same.  And Doc Soong died during the serious.  Unless this is a relative.

It wasn't only in B4 that there was a backup of Data, there was his personal backup and Doc Soong didn't "die" he actually transferred his mind/brain into a neural net too ;) of another prototype to ;) 

6 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

It wasn't only in B4 that there was a backup of Data, there was his personal backup and Doc Soong didn't "die" he actually transferred his mind/brain into a neural net too ;) of another prototype to ;) 

Ahh, that is right.  Geesh, been a while since I watched those TNG episodes.

The prototype that he's in is more advanced than Data's and ultimately ends up being Data's body lol (When I remember which book it is I'll post it)

Its the Star Trek: Cold Equations books that has Data come back. :) 

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

It's entirely possible that Picard could be an admiral or something in the Star Trek Academy series?

Or Janeway ?

As an Admiral I assume there as well as any other appearances he might make. Let's face it, unless Patrick Stewart is down for more TV all of a sudden, he's probably not going to be an every episode regular. Still it sure would be nice to have a post-Voy Prime universe TNG (or whatever it is) show again.