ATI Control Panel

Question

17 answers to this question

it's probably not necessary to have, but i install it. it gives you access to multi-monitor settings, and the basic card tweaks for AA, AF, etc...

there's probably other apps that do the same thing, but i just use the control panel.

ATI is a must to have in order to customize your settings, like the resolution, 3D optimization VPU recovery etc, etc. Atleast I can't be without it. I have ATI 9600XT and have the Overdrive enabled. I have disabled the fast write in the smartgart and enabled the AGP settings also I have chosen custome settings for 3D and Open GL, and the antialiasing is set to 6X and anistropic filtering to 8X. Now my screen and the quality of the graphics is simply superb. In other words you need to install the control panel in order accomplish your choice settings, this ofcourse depends on the type of ATI card you have.

ATI is a must to have in order to customize your settings, like the resolution, 3D optimization VPU recovery etc, etc. Atleast I can't be without it. I have ATI 9600XT and have the Overdrive enabled. I have disabled the fast write in the smartgart and enabled the AGP settings also I have chosen custome settings for 3D and Open GL, and the antialiasing is set to 6X and anistropic filtering to 8X. Now my screen and the quality of the graphics is simply superb. In other words you need to install the control panel in order accomplish your choice settings, this ofcourse depends on the type of ATI card you have.

This is the card I have.

http://www.nanosys1.com/vid-pc-ati-96p6.html

Why did you disable the Fast Write? Isn't that supposed to be turned on so that the card works faster?

Please explain as I don't know much about video cards. Also, if you can help me with this, I noticed that when I go to the ATI control panel, my display flickers for a moment. Is that normal? I have my resolution set to 1024x468 @85Hz.

Why did you disable the Fast Write? Isn't that supposed to be turned on so that the card works faster?

fastwrites is rarely supported correctly by mobo's so if it isn't disabled, there can be alot of stability isssues. I'm lucky that my board does support it correctly.

Ref: Disabling Fast Write ? somehow this feature does not work well with my card, perhaps it mighy with yours, and you might want to give it a try. Keep it enabled for a day or two and check it out. I did some research on this issue and am convinced that it cuases needless corrections which resizes my screen, which means everytime I turn the computer, I have to resize my horizontal and vertical positions. This was really frustrating and so I turned off this feature eventhough my mother board supports it. Now with this feature in the 'off' position it is much more stable. As I mentioned earlier, try it with 'on' and 'off' settings. You will certainly notice the difference.

Also, if you can help me with this, I noticed that when I go to the ATI control panel, my display flickers for a moment. Is that normal? I have my resolution set to 1024x468 @85Hz.

With reference to the flickering display, I wonder if you have installed the relevant drivers for your monitor ? if not do it right away. Usually all the new ATI cards have dual display settings installed. If you do not have multiple monitor then, I suggest to disable the secondary display adapter. Get to Device Manager and under display adapters you will notice two items just right click and disable the secondary. I have viewsonic 23" monitor and I always use its very own monitor drivers. At your present resolutions the screen refresh rate should be set to 85. Hope this helps.

My problem with the control panel is that it never installs right and gives me an error every time I boot into windows or open the display settings -> advanced. I've got a Radeon 9100 128MB DDR PCI card so it should work.

Yes the flickering is normal. It does that on every ATI card I own (5 of them).

Why do you think that happens? Is it a driver issue maybe?

I have a friend who claims he has no flickering at all on his 9800 Pro card when accesing the ATI Control Panel.

When I had the ATI 7200 that didn't happen, until I upgraded the drivers. These new drivers have something wrong with them that causes those flickers I think, because the old drivers from back in the ATI 7200 days didn't do that.

It is confusing.

Well, it doesn't hurt to install it, it can help, so there's no reason not to. :yes:

I hate the extra ATI stuff. It's just a waste of RAM and one more thing to cause a compatibility problem. How many users actually use the hotkeys for Pan and Zoom? I don't so I just go and kill those ATI background applications from the registry run services.

Flickering is annoying, and so is that damn control panel.

They could atleast give you an option to opt out of installing it.

Once my drivers are set first thing I do is disable it, then its services. Pesky pesky bloatware. Who adjusts there video card settings that often that they need it in the system tray area.

Every time I would disable the ATI services in XP (ATI Hotkey Poller/ ATI Smart) I would get error messages in Event Viewer. I also noticed that when those services are disabled, my system would hang on the "Welcome" screen for a bit longer when booting up.

Now I just leave the services running... save the headache ;)

Once my drivers are set first thing I do is disable it, then its services. Pesky pesky bloatware. Who adjusts there video card settings that often that they need it in the system tray area.

the ati control panel includes the things in display properties. I know i need it, so I like having it there. The system tray icon is just an option.

as for the flickering, I don't have it. 9600 XT.

They do.

Just use the low bandwidth option. It doesn't mean it is a slower server, the download is just split up for 56k'ers.