SpaceX Super Heavy and Starship updates

On 20/04/2023 at 14:52, DocM said:

Yep, one what they can and apply it to the next flight vehicles, which are already upgraded vehicles with many changes. 

do you think the fact 6 engines went out, 5 of which were off to one side, was the reason it wasn't following the right path, it looked like it leaned over right at launch. 

On 20/04/2023 at 14:38, bguy_1986 said:

lol

Was the whole stack supposed to flip?  I was a little confused with the stream about that.

Yes ... ish. It was supposed to flip 180degrees, separate, then the top bit was supposed to flip back and continue to space and the bottom bit slowing down and returning to a hard splash down.

*Edit*

🤪I'm wrong, no the whole stack wasn't supposed to flip. 

Edited by Slugsie

On 20/04/2023 at 09:04, Slugsie said:

Yes ... ish. It was supposed to flip 180degrees, separate, then the top bit was supposed to flip back and continue to space and the bottom bit slowing down and returning to a hard splash down.

Uh, nope.  Separation would be like any other rocket...first stage cuts, separation, second stage lights.  This sequence of "flip to 180 degrees, separate, etc" isn't correct.

The flight path was obviously wrong starting ~ +2 min (almost a minute before main engine cutoff at 2:49 and sep at 2:52).

Still a pretty cool launch...

On 20/04/2023 at 10:04, Slugsie said:

The flight plan was to have the first stage separate and almost simultaneously flip 180°, not the entire stack. Almost as soon as they physically clear Starship lights its engines.

On 20/04/2023 at 15:22, Jim K said:

Uh, nope.  Separation would be like any other rocket...first stage cuts, separation, second stage lights.  This sequence of "flip to 180 degrees, separate, etc" isn't correct.

The flight path was obviously wrong starting ~ +2 min (almost a minute before main engine cutoff at 2:49 and sep at 2:52).

Still a pretty cool launch...

Yeah, um, sorry. Ignore what I said, I wasn't paying attention when I typed that out.

On 20/04/2023 at 10:00, anthdci said:

do you think the fact 6 engines went out, 5 of which were off to one side, was the reason it wasn't following the right path, it looked like it leaned over right at launch. 

It lost one center cluster engine and two adjacent engines in the outer ring at liftoff, 

Starshipliftoffengineout640.jpg.3e090c6617c47a8637f6a279f2d4742a.jpg

Losing more in the same area of the outer ring would cause a large thrust imbalance so yeah, it may well have something to do with it. More so if the others lost were in the center cluster, which does the steering. The outer ring engines don't gimbal.

Let's see what they come up with.

On 20/04/2023 at 15:59, DocM said:

It lost one center cluster engine and two adjacent engines in the outer ring at liftoff, 

Starshipliftoffengineout640.jpg.3e090c6617c47a8637f6a279f2d4742a.jpg

Losing more in the same area of the outer ring would cause a large thrust imbalance so yeah, it may well have something to do with it. More so if the others lost were in the center cluster, which does the steering. The outer ring engines don't gimbal.

Let's see what they come up with.

I’m surprised they let it go when they had a centre one out from the pad.

On 20/04/2023 at 11:34, anthdci said:

I’m surprised they let it go when they had a centre one out from the pad.

There are 13 engines in that center cluster and only one was out when they left the pad. You can make up that   loss by throttling up the others and still have reserve  power.

Washington Post space reporter,

More questions for anybody that knows.  Seemed like it sat on the pad before lifting off more than I assume it should.  ~+7 seconds.  Was that normal?  I assume that could have caused some engine problems with all the vibrations and flying debris.  I think there were also multiple versions of the engines in this Starship.  Like very early versions to much later versions, so that could have had something to do with engine failure too.  Anybody know what the spread was on that?

Did they have a deluge system for this test?  I was thinking they were moving stuff getting ready to install one but am probably wrong.

On 20/04/2023 at 19:29, bguy_1986 said:

More questions for anybody that knows.  Seemed like it sat on the pad before lifting off more than I assume it should.  ~+7 seconds.  Was that normal?  I assume that could have caused some engine problems with all the vibrations and flying debris.  I think there were also multiple versions of the engines in this Starship.  Like very early versions to much later versions, so that could have had something to do with engine failure too.  Anybody know what the spread was on that?

Did they have a deluge system for this test?  I was thinking they were moving stuff getting ready to install one but am probably wrong.

Yeah, I noticed that. I thought they said before the lift off that the engines would start firing up around t-6s in 3 stages with them all being lit at t0. It looked like they didn't really start up until t0 in which case t+7s would be about as expected.

On 20/04/2023 at 14:29, bguy_1986 said:

Standard startup in clusters, mainly to reduce instantaneous and vibration loads.

On 20/04/2023 at 14:29, bguy_1986 said:

They have a new deluge system that will be going in. It was barged in from Florida.

On 22/04/2023 at 12:03, Xenon said:

The SpaceX launch license is for 5 years, and NASA posted before the flight that missions 1-3 would be expendable tests to find issues.

Mission accomplished;

• the concrete under the pad couldn't take the loads and they have a cooled steel diverter already built. 

• Booster 7 was a one-off test article. Follow-on boosters are of a higher fidelity design.

The accident procedure isn't that FAA does the investigation. SpaceX does the investigation and FAA signs off on the report. 

On 22/04/2023 at 12:31, wakjak said:

"smashing success!" -Elon cucks.

Random guy on the internet clucks & ridicules, engineers in the industry know better.

From before the test (Space.com),

https://www.space.com/spaceflight-failure-necessity-sls-spacex

When it comes to space, failure isn't just an option — it's a requirement

By Rick Tumlinson

published 29 days ago

The difference between a winner and a loser is that the winner gets back up, learns from what they did wrong and does it again.

Anyone familiar with space movies, or who has visited a NASA gift shop, knows the phrase "Failure is not an option." Actually, it is. In truth, if one is to win at anything, failure is a requirement. We only learn by what we learn from making mistakes. That is if — and this is an important "if" — we accept the learning we gain from the failure and apply it to our future endeavors.

The exploration and development of space are no exceptions. Or rather, they highlight the rule.

>

>

• Like 3

On 22/04/2023 at 14:05, DocM said:

The SpaceX launch license is for 5 years, and NASA posted before the flight that missions 1-3 would be expendable tests to find issues.

Mission accomplished;

• the concrete under the pad couldn't take the loads and they have a cooled steel diverter already built. 

• Booster 7 was a one-off test article. Follow-on boosters are of a higher fidelity design.

The accident procedure isn't that FAA does the investigation. SpaceX does the investigation and FAA signs off on the report. 

You forgot about the damage to the tank farm, the tower and the road. Also the clean up of debris around the launch site. Real professional there. 

They go over ALL the damage that was known at the time. 

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 15:13, Xenon said:

You forgot about the damage to the tank farm, the tower and the road. Also the clean up of debris around the launch site. Real professional there. 

First lets be clear, the usual suspects turning this into a sub of the "We hate Elon!" thread is silly. Gwynne Shotwell has been running Starbase for several months as they transition to operational. 

This was the most powerful booster ever built how do you quantify enough structure? Unknown unknowns. They had mid-term upgrades in the works for when the engines would launch at full power but took a chance at launching at lower power (no payload) and it bit them, so give up? No, learn and continue.

One tank was unused, another sustained damage to the outer tank shell not the vessel. Make the berm higher.

A steel shed attached to the tower and some panels covering the lower tower took hits. Needs more examination. Replace, fix, etc.

Concrete work under the pad, adding the deluge system & water cooled deflection panels seem to be the long pole. Cleaning roads isn't. 

On 22/04/2023 at 15:13, Xenon said:

They go over ALL the damage that was known at the time. 

They speculate from a distance quite a bit, but the engineers & padrats on the open & private forums are having quite a discussion - largely shooting down arm-wavers. 

• Like 2