Got an HP Prodesk 600 G1 Mini 4590T It's so adorable!

46620257261_429df50662_b.jpg

I have to dust it out a little 

46569587512_d2c59dbd82_b.jpg

45897862534_b69d61142d_b.jpg

Isn't this Just Adorable! I got this off eBay as my main workstation downstairs $119 + $13 shipping

It's got a Core i5 4590T QC 2.0Ghz with 4GB of ram (Upgradable to 16GB). I also put a 512GB SSD in it. It has 4 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports. Has 1 VGA and 2 DVI ports. So out of the box, it supports 3 monitors!!

It's going to replace my 2012 27 inch iMac. That computer was annoying me. Especially how long it took to start loading windows 10. This one posts crazy fast.

Cloned the iMac bootcamp install over to the 512 SSD stick. Then stuck it in this one and it booted, installed the drivers and activated just fine. 

• Like 2

It is adorable! I use an HP Compaq Elite 8300 with i5 3rd Gen CPU, and it's bigger than yours, but still cute, it has a laptop blu ray drive in for multimedia. I take it between my home office and work office lol, it fits in a briefcase :)

It is cute :)❤️ :) 

I have a Lenovo M92 SFF Desktop for my Mom, after her last one died. Last one was a AMD Athalon or something. IDC, it's in the landfill now...

Has a Intel Dual Core 2.9GHz, 120GB SSD (added), 4GB RAM, VGA and HDMI out. Only 4x DDR2, but she never uses anything that needs DDR3.

All she does is go online, email, Facebook, and lil flash games, she's fine.

It's interesting to consider holding that in one hand and a PS4 Slim in the other.

Then say the proper incantation, wave Harry Potter's wand and jam the two together into something I might consider using...

Intel GPU not there yet...

AMD CPU/GPU not there yet...

One more silicon FAB die size reduction cycle maybe?

That is a good deal considering the CPU is still crazy expensive in Europe https://maxict.nl/intel-core-i5-4590t-processor-6m-cache-up-to-300-ghz-2ghz-6mb-smart-cache-processor-p4168430.html I didn't look into it, but is it some kind of special CPU that it (still) costs so much? (€219.98 or $250.68 USD).

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

That is a good deal considering the CPU is still crazy expensive in Europe https://maxict.nl/intel-core-i5-4590t-processor-6m-cache-up-to-300-ghz-2ghz-6mb-smart-cache-processor-p4168430.html I didn't look into it, but is it some kind of special CPU that it (still) costs so much? (€219.98 or $250.68 USD).

https://ark.intel.com/products/78928/Intel-Core-i5-4590T-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3-00-GHz-

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4590T+%40+2.00GHz&id=2276

It was a low power chip with lower performance for exactly the type of small commercial boxes you see everywhere in enterprise scenarios where computers get replaced at EOL instead of upgraded.

For used purchases, the i7 2XXX or 3XXX gives very nice performance for a marginal price jump over i5 and sometimes no cost difference at all in a large batch of old computers coming off lease. For some reason there was always about 20% i7 in each of those batches. Go figure corporate I.T. decision making...

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Here is the perf diference:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590T-vs-Intel-i5-4590/2276vs2234

The "T" version is considerably less powerful

Here is a compare with the same generation i7-4790 and also the super cheap i7-2700K

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590T-vs-Intel-i7-4790-vs-Intel-i7-2700K/2276vs2226vs881

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Here is the perf diference:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590T-vs-Intel-i5-4590/2276vs2234

The "T" version is considerably less powerful

Here is a compare with the same generation i7-4790 and also the super cheap i7-2700K

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-4590T-vs-Intel-i7-4790-vs-Intel-i7-2700K/2276vs2226vs881

Yep checked before I bought it, had a benchmark score of about 4,000

A little update. I LOVE LOVE this little Mini computer. I think everyone needs one in their life. I set it to power on upon getting power restored. So now when I say turn on my basement, it turns on my basement light, my test workstation monitors, security cam screen AND it powers on my workstation. Sooooo Nice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

A little update. I LOVE LOVE this little Mini computer. I think everyone needs one in their life. I set it to power on upon getting power restored. So now when I say turn on my basement, it turns on my basement light, my test workstation monitors, security cam screen AND it powers on my workstation. Sooooo Nice.

Although turning off a computer for any reason is a foreign concept of extreme ugliness and generally foul odors to me and many in the tech world, if people find this interesting, the BIOS setting being described is available in most computers in the power settings menu.

Personally, I don't select auto power on  because a computer being OFF is a very abnormal situation that needs attention and debugging.

In the case of a rare general power failure, I like to power up the home LAN is just the right order of equipment.

18 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Although turning off a computer for any reason is a foreign concept of extreme ugliness and generally foul odors to me and many in the tech world, if people find this interesting, the BIOS setting being described is available in most computers in the power settings menu.

Personally, I don't select auto power on  because a computer being OFF is a very abnormal situation that needs attention and debugging.

In the case of a rare general power failure, I like to power up the home LAN is just the right order of equipment.

Got a generator yet? lol

21 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Got a generator yet? lol

Where I used to live, I was actually shopping for one since the power went out more than once a month, but where I am now, the power goes maybe once a year so I even let the UPS devices run out their lifetime and didn't replace them due to poor return on investment...

14 hours ago, DevTech said:

The computer in question is only in use when I'm downstairs doing a computer repair on a PC that was dropped off at my office. The other 70% of the time I'm upstairs doing remote assistance from my couch.  I mainly use it to connect to my QuickBooks laptop via RDP to look stuff up and/or download files. It might be turned on for a very short time because I usually just get a remote connection setup with the computer I'm working on downstairs and finish it from my couch lol.

While I could leave that computer on downstairs, it would be a total waste of power. My server, security camera system and Quickbooks laptop are on 24/7. My couch computer is put to sleep when I go to bed. Doing this as well as putting 11 other things on a voice-controlled outlet has saved me $25 a month.:D Those numbers might be less now. That was for also turning off a 27 inch iMac.

Also tried the same thing on my theater PC. Which only worked if power was cut from the machine in the first place. The one in the basement worked regardless if the power was cut or just turned off. The only reason I wanted it to work to, is so I could turn on the theater pc with my voice on the Patch Tuesday to do updates.

If that new little computer had HDMI and audio over HDMI i would replace my theater PC with another one of these in a heartbeat.

• 2 months later...

So to give everyone an update. I have no absolutely ZERO regrets buying this on eBay and man did I get a great deal. I love this little guy, he's AMAZING!

• Like 1