Autopatcher XP FREEZES at "Checking defaults"

Hi,

Some time ago I've installed Autopatcher XP 4.0 GOLD - and there were no problem.

Lately I wanted to install a newer version - DEC UPDATE and I couldn't because Autopatcher freezes at "Checking defaults"!

I left the computer running - waiting to finish "Checking defaults" :sleep: (over 30 minutes) and nothing - Autopatcher was still frozen (I saw on Task manager that it was taking 4 kb of memory every second! :blink:

Then I tried to run the old version 4.0 GOLD again... and it also freezes :huh: (I think it was on "Loadin database.... or something like it).

Please tell me what to do or what is wrong...

Does anybody have similar problem?

My configuration:

Celeron 700MHz, ABIT BH6 (Intel440BX), 256 MB RAM DIMM, Geforce 2MX400 64 MB DDR, SB LIVE VALUE, Chieftec 360W DualFan Power Supply

4.0, is that the November release? From what Im reading it looks as though you are trying to install the Dec update as a standalone. The updates work in conjuntion with the previous full release. Say you have the November AutoPatcher and the Dec update. You need to run the update in the directory that the full uncompressed AutoPatcher (AP) resides in. This will update all the files so you will have in essence a full December release. You can then run the AP. One caviat, you cannot run the Nov full release with the Jan update to get a full january release.

Sorry I just wanted to make sure I understood what was going down. Are you doing a custom install or the default one? Even with a slow system it shouldnt take more thana minute to load the updates. Your database may be corrupted. Does the install log say anything?

Sorry I just wanted to make sure I understood what was going down. Are you doing a custom install or the default one? Even with a slow system it shouldnt take more thana minute to load the updates. Your database may be corrupted. Does the install log say anything?

I did default installation - tried also all switches - no difference with my problem...

If a database would be corrupted the 4.0 version wouldn't installed either (but it did some time ago). The problem must be somewhere else...

I'm sure (99,9%) that my install files are ok - I downloaded it and unzipped 0 it can't be corrupted....

Possible by running a corrupted Jan AP the Dec version was borked as well. Not quite sure. I, personally, havent had anything but perfect installs after patching the patcher and reading the forum for any problems.

Possible by running a corrupted Jan AP the Dec version was borked as well. Not quite sure. I, personally, havent had anything but perfect installs after patching the patcher and reading the forum for any problems.

well, I've posted this problem, because I didn't find any answer...

:blink: .. I don't understand what do You mean -

Firstly I've installed 4.0 GOLD (succesfully - without any problems),

then I tried DEC update (full version - freezes at "checking defauts"

then I tried JAN update (with patch) - freezes at "checking defauts"

then I tried 4.0 GOLD once again - freezes at "checking defauts"

What else should I try?? :unsure:

thats very odd indeed :( anything special about your windows installation?

/Raptor

...who knows if its special :)

I'm NOT connected to the Internet, but there is a network adapter (sometimes I connect 2 computers)

What can be special...

Service Pack 1 (or 1a - I don't remember)

Visual Studio .NET

Mail Enable (mail server)

IIS

Apache

PHP

MSDE

MySQL

PostgreSQL

Don't remember more special stuff :D ... Maybe tomorrow

I don't think any of that would cause such a problem... still dont understand what could be wrong...

/Raptor

Well.. I know that it's not only my problem - some user wrote he has the same!

Is there some other requirements than Service Pack 1? Maybe newest Framework or myable is't something in Framework configuration...., but how to check it

no... .NET Framework isnt required... but Visual Basic 6 SP5 runtimes *are* required...

[edit]Win2k and WinXP machines have VB6 Runtimes included... not sure if they are the latest version (SP5), but i guess they do...[/edit]

/Raptor

This has me SO puzzled... I really hope we can find out why your system in particular isn't working. From what you listed, it should be runnin' just fine.

I thought that the problem is mainly because I have rather old computer.

But I tried to install it on even older than main: Celeron 400, ASUS P3BF (Intel 440BX), 128 MB RAM, Riva TNT2 Vanta and THERE IS NO PROBLEM! :woot:

I was shocked when I saw this...

And now I really don't why it doesn't work on my computer - if it's not just it's age....

Below I attached link to screenshot of Autopatcher installation. It writes "Checking defaults" and get 4 kb of memowy every second!

autopatcher.jpg

Lately I've found that Tweak-XP Pro 3.0.2 DOES THE SAME on my computer - consumes 4 kb of memowy every second... :cry: What can it be?

I also reinstalled vb6 runtimes....

Thank You for any help/suggestions!

And here is a list of programs installed on my XP:

Add / Remove programs

------------------------------------------

A4Tech iWeelWorks v7.46

AC3Filter

Administrator's Pak

Adobe Acrobat 5.0

Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP

AIDA32 v3.60

Apache HTTP Server 2.0.36

Application Verifier Database

Cacheman 5.50

CDurnerXP Pro

CDex

DAEMON Tools

DivX 5.0.2 Pro Bundle

foobar2000

Fraps

Free Ram XP 1.40

Fresh Diagnose

Indeo Software

Internet Explorer Q828750

IrfanView

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_01

Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_02

JAva Web Start

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 4.5

MailEnable Messaging Services for Windows NT/2000

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB824629)

Microsoft Bootvis

Microsot Group Policy Management Console

Microsoft Intelitype Pro 2.2

Microsoft SharePoint Migration Tool 2003

MSN Messenger 6.1

Multires

MyCC

MySQL Servers and Clients 4.0.1-alpha

Nimo Codecs Pack v5.0

nVHardPage 1.31.0b

NVIDIA Display Driver

nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII v2.00 E

NVRefreshTool 2.1

Opera

Optimizer XP

pgAdmin II

PHP

Pluster USB Scanner

psqlODBC

QuickTime Alternative 1.0

Racer

Real Alternative 1.11

RivaTuner 2.0 Release Candidate 14.2

SoundBlaster Live!

Windows Messenger 5.0

WINner Tweak Registry Cleaner 1.0.0

WINner Tweak SE

XP LogMod 1.1

xp-antiSpy

XviD MPEG-4 Codec

CyberFox, that's a really unusual program list for me... i never install most of what you have there... dunno what could be the problem though... if you search on microsoft.com you will eventually find Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 Runtime Files pack. It should be a little bit above 1 MB in size... I think i have the installer on my HDD somewhere... I really doudt its that... its prolly Microsoft Common Controls 6.0 (MSCOMCTL32.OCX) being messed up by some other program. You can try to manually configure that file (delete it from system32 and then run AutoPatcher)

/Raptor

...I finally tried to reinstall my XP (overinstall the current installation). When the installer says "Installing devices" the progress bar moves slowly and suddenly my HDD gets power off and computer RESETs!!! :huh: :angry: HDD is spinning on again, installation is going on, and HDD gets power off and so on... :wacko:

I really don't know what was it, but finally I did a new, clean installation of XP - the installation was succesfull! :woot:

And now I don't have problems with Autopatcher and Tweak XP Pro :yes:

My conclusion is: don't install programs You are not sure what it is doing. My suspect of this situation are programs like

Game XP (I had newest version 1.4.1.5). I has one "magic button" to optimize system (not only XP, but 98, Me, 2000). It is not said what it really does and I didn't find on the net any opinions of it :ninja:

I don't really know what it really was, but right now I'le be more careful

Big Thanks for all who helped me :D

i never liked programs wich 'magic optimize buttons'. Reason: none of them have ever worked for me... I prefer the good old way of registry tweaks... If you know what you're you want, you cant wont kill the system...

/Raptor

Well.. I think that Symantec Norton Utilities is a "one magic button" program, where You clik one button, and the program checks forr errors - and it works good for me - but Sumantec is trustworthy company....

Tweak XP Pro is such a program too... - but there is always said what it does and I know what's going on...