Windows 10 successor; if & when?

Just wondering... the initial Windows 10 was released in July 2015 (so almost 4 years ago).

Previous major Windows versions were to be released every 3 years.

What's next, besides the Windows 10 2019H1, 2019H2 etc.

Will there be a different naming? Will a paid upgrade be the case to its successor?

What will be new UX-wise, feature wise?

Or will there from now on just Windows 10, with its 2-yearly updates/upgrades?

Or will there be a Windows-as-a-service, like e.g. Windows 365?

Questions, questions, questions....

Windows 10 is the last “version” of windows. There won’t be a windows 11. Straight from Microsoft. 

If anything they’ll just start calling it Windows with their standard release cadence. Just like they do with office365. Everyone can see the windows as a service model on the horizon on as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shockz said:

Windows 10 is the last “version” of windows. There won’t be a windows 11. Straight from Microsoft. 

Well, from what I heard, that isn't necessarily true. They said that 4 years ago...

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, from what I heard, that isn't necessarily true. They said that 4 years ago...

Heard, from where?

As far as we know ... Windows 10 is the "last" version (and variants like 10S, Lite, etc.). Anything that succeeds 10 would be pure speculation/rumor.  They'll probably continue the 1 or 2 big annual updates for the foreseeable future.  I highly doubt you'll see a consumer subscription service with Windows...that would just ###### people off.

Who knows what MS will do 5, 10, 20 years down the road...

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Heard, from where?

Just rumors. Nothing really a hard fact.

Like Jim said, down the road, who knows.

As far as I know Windows 10 is just the "last version" of windows that runs on x86 architecture.  I don't think things like the new holo-lens run on windows 10 ...I think they run on Onecore.  Andromeda and other devices are rummored run a version of this as well.  So you could say whatever onecore is the next os from microsoft.

25 minutes ago, Melfster said:

As far as I know Windows 10 is just the "last version" of windows that runs on x86 architecture.  I don't think things like the new holo-lens run on windows 10 ...I think they run on Onecore.  Andromeda and other devices are rummored run a version of this as well.  So you could say whatever onecore is the next os from microsoft.

Hololens runs Windows 10. 

45 minutes ago, Jim K said:

As far as we know ... Windows 10 is the "last" version (and variants like 10S, Lite, etc.). Anything that succeeds 10 would be pure speculation/rumor.  They'll probably continue the 1 or 2 big annual updates for the foreseeable future.  I highly doubt you'll see a consumer subscription service with Windows...that would just ###### people off.

Who knows what MS will do 5, 10, 20 years down the road...

"I highly doubt you'll see a consumer subscription service with Windows...that would just ###### people off"

Definitely agree with that part, myself included, if I haven't wiped all my Windows out again by then! ;)

15 minutes ago, margrave said:

Has Apple moved past X? Then MS won't either. As long as Apple has all of their stuff at 10.whatever MS will do the same.

Technically. OS X is no longer the name and hasn’t been for a while. 

16 minutes ago, margrave said:

Still the version.

I’m not seeing the relevance. Apple has been on version 10.x for 20 years and changed their name, most likely to keep it in line with their other products as well as not be tethered to a version number. It’s silly to think Microsoft did the same because of Apple, only to tie themselves to a version 10 of the OS. 

IMO, the whole Windows 10 being the last version of Windows alludes to the next MS consumer OS to not be called Windows at all. 

There will be no future versions of Windows.   Windows is a service model now.  Every 6 months we get a new "Windows". 

Even the server versions are basically kernel offshoots of iterative versions of Windows 10. 

If anything, Microsoft will just drop the "10" and make it part of Microsoft 365 for home.

1 hour ago, margrave said:

As the Apple goes so too does Windows.

They didn't just jump over '9' for fun.

True. Go read up on why they did.  You can take your pick on reasons:

An inside joke, a huge departure that deserved two number jumps, legacy code compatibility, apparently 9 is considered unlucky in Japan (Apple skipped it lately too), and on and on. Yet nobody is drawing a relation to OS X. I reckon quite a few people only know macOS by its name and version name, not it’s version number. So...

Edited by adrynalyne

Hello,

The reason I was told they skipped over "9" was because they had enterprise customers with legacy apps that had hard-coded checks into Windows name strings (not version strings) for compatibility checking, and some of them checked for "Windows 9*" to identify Windows 95 and 98.  Using "9" would have caused these versions of the apps to not run or behave incorrectly, and the companies could no longer recompile them because they no longer had the employees or the tooling to do so (or even access to the original source code, in some instances).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

True. Go read up on why they did.  You can take your pick on reasons:

An inside joke, a huge departure that deserved two number jumps, legacy code compatibility, apparently 9 is considered unlucky in Japan (Apple skipped it lately too), and on and on. Yet nobody is drawing a relation to OS X. I reckon quite a few people only know macOS by its name and version name, not it’s version number. So...

MS will not change from 10 until Apple does. They want that Apple money, so they are trying to look as close to a competitor as they can to try to get those Apple customers. It's why they named the Xbox2 the 360 instead. The ps3 was being released and they didn't want their new system to have a 2 because it would look lesser to something that's already a 3. Ignore the fact that a 360 is a complete spin putting you back where you started. And the true xbox3 was named the one. MS is terrible with names.

54 minutes ago, margrave said:

MS will not change from 10 until Apple does. They want that Apple money, so they are trying to look as close to a competitor as they can to try to get those Apple customers. It's why they named the Xbox2 the 360 instead. The ps3 was being released and they didn't want their new system to have a 2 because it would look lesser to something that's already a 3. Ignore the fact that a 360 is a complete spin putting you back where you started. And the true xbox3 was named the one. MS is terrible with names.

You are just trolling now by repeating yourself in multiple posts. They didn’t do this because of Apple and you know it and have even been given multiple reasons why they did it. Most of the people I’ve talked to don’t even know macOS (not OS X) is version 10.x. A version number simply does not win over customers from one OS to another. If it did, Linux Mint would have majority market share right now and Windows 7 would be dust. 

From what I remember reading Windows 10 is the last version of Windows that will be released.  There will be builds that update the OS but the name won't change.  As for Apple, the folks at that company have gone back to calling their operating system MacOS (though I don't know why).