Moving Home, New Setup, Apple Tv?

11 minutes ago, shockz said:

Whatever you do, don't get a fire stick. Family has two of them and constantly have clear Netflix's app cache, reinstall as it'll error out on launch. It's just a generally disappointing OS.

I have a Fire TV stick 4K and have never experienced anything like this.

Do they have a standard stick or the 4K model?

Their issue may be related to what I mentioned in a post above. the non-4K fire TV Stick has a much weaker SoC; bad enough you can notice some lag even on the main menu; the lower end chip could easily cause lag/instability elsewhere with apps.

That's why I say even if you don't have a 4K TV it's good to go for the 4K capable tv-boxes just for the better SoC's included.

12 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I have a Fire TV stick 4K and have never experienced anything like this.

Do they have a standard stick or the 4K model?

Their issue may be related to what I mentioned in a post above. the non-4K fire TV Stick has a much weaker SoC; bad enough you can notice some lag even on the main menu; the lower end chip could easily cause lag/instability elsewhere with apps.

That's why I say even if you don't have a 4K TV it's good to go for the 4K capable tv-boxes just for the better SoC's included.

Fire stick, non 4K, we'll be swapping them to Roku streaming+ (4K) sticks next time I visit them. Trying to have a 68 year old clear an apps cache over the phone gets old.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/12232

"Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up"

It's like a cheat code from an old console.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shockz said:

Whatever you do, don't get a fire stick. Family has two of them and constantly have clear Netflix's app cache, reinstall as it'll error out on launch. It's just a generally disappointing OS.

We have been using Fire Sticks for over 2 years.  3 of them around the house.  We have NEVER had to clear any caches on them.  One was the original, the others are the newer model.

Don't get the Roku Express models.  SLOW....

I have a Non 4K apple TV and it just works.
Super Easy to setup. good selection of Apps
Mainly used for Plex Streaming..
1080p etc. even over Wifi its Butter Smoth
mate has a Smart TV but uses the Apple TV as its Easyer to us and Playback of his content is smoth.
TV has Gigabit networking and Apple TV is on 5Hhz 16000AC Wifi

I have a Shield TV but I also got a Roku Ultra for $50 on Black Friday, I really love it. I rarely use my shield anymore, at least at my house. I have a shield at my GF's house too, and I use the shield TV for emulators. Her TV there is a Roku TV and she never uses the shield.

45 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

We have been using Fire Sticks for over 2 years.  3 of them around the house.  We have NEVER had to clear any caches on them.  One was the original, the others are the newer model.

I don't know what to say, it's become a monthly issue the last half year. Standard run of the mill firesticks with nothing extra on them. They don't use them a lot, so maybe that's the issue. They launch Netflix, they get an error code, google code, netflix site pops up with instructions to clear cache and if needed, reinstall.

Either way I've never had any issues with Roku or Apple TV, and when someone asks which device they should use, I will never recommend fire sticks from my experiences with them.