Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

On 14/04/2023 at 07:39, TheReaperMan said:

Why use a broken and not fully operational ship?

Hide contents

Why take a incomplete and not fully working Enterprise that would be out gunned and out classed by most of the ships

Would Voyager not be a better ship as it was fully restored and ready to go and had tech that was around 5 years more advanced than the current federation ships?

trans phasic torpedo's
Ablative Generators
upgraded shields
Astrometric Lab
quantum slipstream drive
Enhanced Defence Systems

To name some of the stuff.

which makes it much better equipped to fight the Borg.

To me shouts lazy writing and forced use of "nostalgia" 

Yep, it's nostalgia, nothing more.  This season was about bringing everyone back for one final journey, that includes Enterprise D :)

Spoiler

Though I agree that the Enterprise D is so antiquated that it's going to be obliterated once it gets to Earth.  Or they will take a page out of Best of Both Worlds and think that the Enterprise D is a non-threat and ignore it

I'm too confused with the Borg.  I thought Agnes/Borg Queen changed the way the Borg behaved at the end of season two.  What's interesting that the voice of the Borg queen is the same actress who played the Borg in First Contact.  And that Borg cube was massive and inside so disheveled.  So, I wonder if she is something like Huge and completely isolated from the other Borg collective.

It will be interesting to see if the Borg is the big baddy or something else is because they can't just drop the Changelings story line and replace it with the Borg.

Loving Data with his humor and compassion.

Why did they have to kill Shaw!!!!

Lots of feels in this episode for sure.  

Spoiler

As far as the Borg go,  it's easy to think of them as a splinter group with a different queen.  Remember Agnes melded together with a alternate borg gueen from another universe that Q dropped everyone into.  So she's basically a secend one, and her group isn't part of the main collective.  I think they tried to show as much with the fact that she shows up in a funky looking ship and not a cube.  

The main queen we have here is original timeline version and probably has multiple backup bodies she can use.   Anyways, having splinter Borg groups isn't new to Trek, hell Lore had his own group in TNG.

On the rest of the episode, I think the plot to use the transporter code to shadow infect people was great.  I didn't see it, and it makes more sense than Jack having magic telepathic powers out of nowhere.  

Shame about Shaw but now the door is open for that Captain Seven spin-off titan-a series, lets go!

On 14/04/2023 at 14:39, TheReaperMan said:

Why use a broken and not fully operational ship?

Hide contents

Why take a incomplete and not fully working Enterprise that would be out gunned and out classed by most of the ships

Would Voyager not be a better ship as it was fully restored and ready to go and had tech that was around 5 years more advanced than the current federation ships?

trans phasic torpedo's
Ablative Generators
upgraded shields
Astrometric Lab
quantum slipstream drive
Enhanced Defence Systems

To name some of the stuff.

which makes it much better equipped to fight the Borg.

To me shouts lazy writing and forced use of "nostalgia" 

You're assuming that they left all those "advanced" systems there and didn't rip them out so they could use the tech on their newer ships.  From the few shots we see of it, it looks like the vanila version to me.  I can't see any of the external upgrades etc.  Regardless,  the 5 years you say, by the time of Picard s3, is already outdated.  The Voyager returned in 2378,  + 5 years for that tech, 2383, give or take.  We're already in 2401 with Picard s3.  

The rest is nostalgia ofc, and it'd be weird for the TNG crew to use a ship from another series.  

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say something I've felt for a long long while.

Spoiler

The Borg are one of the most boring, one dimensional, uninteresting big bads I've ever seen on Trek or any other scifi show.  At first they worked, but after they'd been beaten the nth time they just became pointless...

• Like 2

All I'm going to say without much spoilers is that this has been a fantastic season that is going to cheat out the ending with a deus ex machina.  There's not enough time left with one episode.

Spoiler

Jack wlll save the day and they'll find a way to reverse the code created from the transporters.  Undo button.  Sigh.

It's like, literally, the only way this works.

I mean, I'll still like it, but here at the ending it's really really pushing the nostalgia card.

The only other way this works is they cliffhanger it and use it as a launchpad for other series with these characters, which honestly I'm all in.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2023 at 16:54, Pork Chopper said:

Ever consider that Wesely Crusher AKA the Traveler might save the day? Would be totally unexpected.

Yeah I wondered when Beverly mentioned him if that was some foreshadowing.

Wes can finally tell Picard to "shut up!" 😛  

On 14/04/2023 at 10:11, George P said:

Lots of feels in this episode for sure.  

Reveal hidden contents

As far as the Borg go,  it's easy to think of them as a splinter group with a different queen.  Remember Agnes melded together with a alternate borg gueen from another universe that Q dropped everyone into.  So she's basically a secend one, and her group isn't part of the main collective.  I think they tried to show as much with the fact that she shows up in a funky looking ship and not a cube.  

The main queen we have here is original timeline version and probably has multiple backup bodies she can use.   Anyways, having splinter Borg groups isn't new to Trek, hell Lore had his own group in TNG.

On the rest of the episode, I think the plot to use the transporter code to shadow infect people was great.  I didn't see it, and it makes more sense than Jack having magic telepathic powers out of nowhere.  

Shame about Shaw but now the door is open for that Captain Seven spin-off titan-a series, lets go!

Spoiler

On 14/04/2023 at 10:54, Pork Chopper said:

Ever consider that Wesely Crusher AKA the Traveler might save the day? Would be totally unexpected.

We really don't know the extent of his abilities and he could "rewind" events to undo the damage done and "kicked out".

Because Discovery has never mentioned this incident at all.  Unless it's retconned in the next season.

On 14/04/2023 at 16:18, George P said:

You're assuming that they left all those "advanced" systems there and didn't rip them out so they could use the tech on their newer ships.  From the few shots we see of it, it looks like the vanila version to me.  I can't see any of the external upgrades etc.  Regardless,  the 5 years you say, by the time of Picard s3, is already outdated.  The Voyager returned in 2378,  + 5 years for that tech, 2383, give or take.  We're already in 2401 with Picard s3.  

The rest is nostalgia ofc, and it'd be weird for the TNG crew to use a ship from another series.  

My post was all from memory, so I did not do that bad and was not 100% on the timeline and what happened to Voyager. :D

But I agree it is nstalgia/Fan service, if you look it logically, they would have taken the most advanced ship and powerful that fully worked, not a beaten up unfinished one but we will see what happens in the next episode!

On 14/04/2023 at 17:58, primortal said:
  Hide contents

I guess I should go back and watch 304 over again.  But that does fit with what I was trying to say.  

On 14/04/2023 at 11:49, George P said:

I guess I should go back and watch 304 over again. 

Same here, missed that as well.

On 14/04/2023 at 13:50, FloatingFatMan said:
  Hide contents

Q's dead. Died at the end of Season 2.

And Data "died" as the end of Season 1 ;) 

We really don't know what happens when they die.  Could be an evolution or reincarnation.

If that is supposed to be the Ent-D from ST: Generations they got the bridge slightly wrong...

On 18/04/2023 at 23:37, Matthew S. said:

If that is supposed to be the Ent-D from ST: Generations they got the bridge slightly wrong...

How so? comparison screenshots or it didn't happen 😛 

On 18/04/2023 at 14:37, Matthew S. said:

Geordi restored her to as she was in the original series.

On 18/04/2023 at 18:32, Steven P. said:

How so? comparison screenshots or it didn't happen 😛 

Couldn't find a clip from the movie but it looks like the following

dcqaagg-1c918e5b-e752-4425-a496-f4cc8728d757.thumb.png.aa8d9b6b719286e9cbcdd9fde3358713.png

• Like 1

The colours were never really consistent, remember the red panelling on S1?