Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

21 minutes ago, primortal said:

Aside from Data being dead?  Based on the trailers, I only seen Data in the vineyard with Picard.  Picard is wearing a Starfleet uniform; so that's obviously a dream sequence.  The other time Data (or B4) is shown as being dismantled in a draw.  I thought I remembered another scene, can't find the trailer where Picard and Data are talking but it didn't look like they were in a setting like a house, ship or elsewhere.  More like talking to an "imaginary friend" type conversation.

I'm all for Data's return from the dead, I just don't see it.

Can't wait to watch it tonight :D

Sounds like Spiner said the only way he comes back to act for data is to make sure that the events of Nemesis aren’t reversed. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, primortal said:

Aside from Data being dead?  Based on the trailers, I only seen Data in the vineyard with Picard.  Picard is wearing a Starfleet uniform; so that's obviously a dream sequence.  The other time Data (or B4) is shown as being dismantled in a drawer.  I thought I remembered another scene, can't find the trailer where Picard and Data are talking but it didn't look like they were in a setting like a house, ship or elsewhere.  More like talking to an "imaginary friend" type conversation.

I'm all for Data's return from the dead, I just don't see it.

Can't wait to watch it tonight :D

Technically yes, but, and had to refresh my memory....

"In 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis, one of Data’s final acts is to take his personal programming — in the form of ‘memory engrams’ — and transfer a copy to the prototype android B-4, in an attempt to upgrade his ‘younger brother’ to be as functional as Data himself."

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/01/star-trek-picard-producers-talk-b4-nemesis-isa-briones-reacts-unexpected-role/

So in a sense, he backed himself up/transferred a copy of himself in to to B-4 prototype.  During TNG, Data's program evolved and made him more human.  So program could have contained memories as well as other functions.

There was also another trailer where Picard and Data are playing cards.  Diff from the vinerad.

https://mashable.com/article/star-trek-picard-data-fan-theories/

Picard's voiceover talks about Data's "death" in the trailer as we see a drawer slide open containing his remains. Later, in what you could describe as the trailer's "stinger" scene, we see Picard playing cards. "I don't want the game to end," he says to his at that point unseen opponent. Then we cut to what looks like Data's face, with what looks like the yellow collar of his old Starfleet uniform peeking out. 

"I can see that, Captain," he replies.

Also....

No one's sure what to think. It's been confirmed that Spiner is playing Data on the show. But there's a lot of mystery in the trailer, and in terms of what we know about the show, that seems to concern his character directly (or at least sit in his character's orbit)

Edited by techbeck

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Technically yes, but, and had to refresh my memory....

"In 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis, one of Data’s final acts is to take his personal programming — in the form of ‘memory engrams’ — and transfer a copy to the prototype android B-4, in an attempt to upgrade his ‘younger brother’ to be as functional as Data himself."

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/01/star-trek-picard-producers-talk-b4-nemesis-isa-briones-reacts-unexpected-role/

So in a sense, he backed himself up/transferred a copy of himself in to to B-4 prototype.  During TNG, Data's program evolved and made him more human.  So program could have contained memories as well as other functions.

Yes, but B-4 was lacking a positronic brain; which Data and Lore had.  So basically, B-4 is a "dumb down" version of Data, so I doubt B-4 can come close to Data unless advancements have been made and they "upgrade" B-4 in Picard to have a positronic brain and tried again to upload Data's memory engrams...

2 minutes ago, primortal said:

Yes, but B-4 was lacking a positronic brain; which Data and Lore had.  So basically, B-4 is a "dumb down" version of Data, so I doubt B-4 can come close to Data unless advancements have been made and they "upgrade" B-4 in Picard to have a positronic brain and tried again to upload Data's memory engrams...

Could be...shall see though.  Either way, good to see Spiner playing Data again.   Whether or not him on the show are flash backs or in Picards mind.  Or even a hologram.  And I think B-4 has a positronic brain, it is just less advanced than Data/Lore

4 hours ago, shockz said:

Sounds like Spiner said the only way he comes back to act for data is to make sure that the events of Nemesis aren’t reversed. 

Spiner says he is playing data again.  Just do not know much about his character and how involved he will be in the series. Or what role he is playing.  Is he a memory, hologram....

Data was my fav character and I disliked Nemesis for the reason that they sort of killed him off. 

Knew nothing about the books/comics but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_(Star_Trek)

In the comic book miniseries Star Trek: Countdown (the official prequel to the reboot Star Trek film), Data, having successfully transferred his positronic pathways and memories into B-4, now commands the Enterprise-E in 2387 in its mission to stop the Romulan Nero. Spock compares Data's "resurrection" with his own death and return years earlier.[13]

In the novels published by Pocket Books and set after Nemesis, Data returned in 2384 by having his memories and neural net transferred from B-4 into a new body which contained the memory engrams of Data's creator Doctor Noonien Soong after he was dying and being attacked by Lore years earlier. Data then takes control of the body after Soong deletes himself. After a tearful reunion with his old shipmates, Picard offers to reactivate Data's commission and to rejoin the crew but Data declines as he says he requires time. Several months later, with the help of the Enterprise crew, he is able to obtain the help necessary to resurrect his daughter, Lal.

5 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Spiner says he is playing data again.  Just do not know much about his character and how involved he will be in the series. Or what role he is playing.  Is he a memory, hologram....

Data was my fav character and I disliked Nemesis for the reason that they sort of killed him off. 

Yes. he's playing data again, strictly as flashbacks. He said he wouldn't come back if they tried to bring him back to life/reverse nemesis death.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/brent-spiner-on-data-return-in-star-trek-picard

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Could be...shall see though.  Either way, good to see Spiner playing Data again.   Whether or not him on the show are flash backs or in Picards mind.  Or even a hologram.  And I think B-4 has a positronic brain, it is just less advanced than Data/Lore

Correction, not lacking but a less sophisticated positronic brain.

Although B-4 was outwardly identical to both Data and Lore, the two final androids built, B-4 was not equipped with a positronic brain as sophisticated as those of his brothers. As a result, he had difficulty understanding simple concepts and processing information.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/B-4

Data could come back like the Jedi Ghosts. The plot thickens as they find out Noonian planted a soul chip in Data when he created him.

I really enjoyed the first episode and glad to see that old familiar star trek is alive and kicking :D

The pilot episode was great. In reference to DATA’s memories, in the pilot the doctor told Picard that the transfer failed to work and therefore that is one reason B-4 is out of commission. Will we see B-4 back? Will we see DATA back? Only one person can make that happen:

Q

20 hours ago, primortal said:

I really enjoyed the first episode and glad to see that old familiar star trek is alive and kicking :D

It's not that it left, it was tied up in red tape with the whole CBS and VIacom split.  Now they're one big happy family again.

Spoiler

I do like how this doesn't actually ignore the first reboot movie.  Spock was trying to save the Romulans from the Nova before we got our time travel and alternate/parallel universe twists.    If anything I'd say Picard sets the stage up for the other shows/movies to work their way back into the original time line now that the legal stuff is out of the way.

• Like 2

I liked it. It has more of the classic Star Trek storytelling pace than Discovery and the story itself is intriguing and potentially wonderful. Picard is played accordingly to his age apart from few shots during running all scenes were done by Patrick Stewart...or by some really advanced CGI :)

All that sad, 1st episode should have been stretched to 2 episodes as the story and characters needed more time and dialogues needlessly suffered on occasion.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

They did a really good job and I loved the opening episode, I like the storyline too

Spoiler

definitely got goosebumps at Picard's rant about Star Fleet and why he left.

• Like 3

On 1/24/2020 at 1:07 PM, BudMan said:

Yeah wish cbs all access dumped the whole series like netflix and amazon do..

Na, i like the old days of once a week, Netflix annoys me with dumping whole series in one go!

5 hours ago, Orange said:

Na, i like the old days of once a week

Just because they are available doesn't mean you have to binge them, you can watch 1 a week if you want ;) hehehe

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:12 PM, Nick H. said:

Dammit all, why can’t they dump all the episodes at once? Now I need to wait each week...

I'm tossed being that if you were able to binge the series, it would be hard to avoid spoilers for those that didn't have a chance to all the episodes.  Whereas watching one a week give everyone a chance to catch up and discuss.

Just watched episode 2, things are starting to become more clear plot wise.

Spoiler

Some huge conspiracy at play, makes things more interesting for sure.   I have to wonder though, with all this hush hush secret covert ops talk, uh, where's section 31?  Did I miss something?

4 minutes ago, George P said:

Just watched episode 2, things are starting to become more clear plot wise.

Hide contents

Some huge conspiracy at play, makes things more interesting for sure.   I have to wonder though, with all this hush hush secret covert ops talk, uh, where's section 31?  Did I miss something?

Spoiler

You did, Starfleet has been compromised by the Romulans.