Server Advice

I'm hoping some server experts can give me some advice on this server that I configured and a Dell rep tweaked for me. We have a small 5 workstation domain right now. We run a large Filemaker Database, an SQL database, and host files on it. I just want some feedback before I spend $7,200. I configured the hard drives as RAID 10.

PowerEdge T640 Tower Server

Date & Time: June 07, 2019 6:37 AM CST

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

PowerEdge T640 Tower ServerQty  1

PowerEdge T640Unit Price$7,104.22

Estimated Delivery:1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM-6/21/2019 5:00:00 AM

Catalog Number: 4 PE_T640_12442C

Module DescriptionShow Details

Trusted Platform ModuleNo Trusted Platform Module

Chassis ConfigurationChassis with up to 8" x 3.5 SAS/SATA Hard Drives, Tower Configuration

ProcessorIntel® Xeon® Gold 5118 2.3G, 12C/24T, 10.4GT/s, 16.5M Cache, Turbo, HT (105W) DDR4-2400

Additional ProcessorNo Additional Processor

Processor Thermal ConfigurationStandard HS for Less = 150W

Memory DIMM Type and Speed2666MT/s RDIMMs

Memory Configuration TypePerformance Optimized

Memory Capacity32GB RDIMM, 2666MT/s, Dual Rank

RAID ConfigurationC5, RAID 10 for HDDs or SSDs in pairs (Matching Type/Speed/Capacity)

RAID/Internal Storage ControllersPERC H330 RAID Controller

Hard Drives(4) 1.2TB 10K RPM SAS 12Gbps 512n 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive, 3.5in HYB CARR

Hard Drives(4) 1.2TB 10K RPM SAS 12Gbps 512n 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive, 3.5in HYB CARR

Boot Optimized Storage CardsBOSS controller card + with 2 M.2 Sticks 240G (RAID 1),FH

Operating SystemWindows Server® 2019 Standard,16CORE,FI,No Med,No CAL, Multi Language

OS Media KitsWindows Server® 2019 Standard,16CORE,Media Kit, Multi Language

Client Access Licenses10-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs (Standard or Datacenter)

Client Access Licenses5-pack of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services, User

Embedded Systems ManagementiDRAC9, Express

Group ManageriDRAC Group Manager, Disabled

PasswordiDRAC,Factory Generated Password

Additional Network CardsOn-Board Dual-Port 10GbE LOM

Internal Optical DriveNo Internal Optical Drive for x8/x18/x16 chassis

FansNo Additional Mid Fan for T640

Power SupplyDual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 495W

Power Cords(2) NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord, North America

Power Cords(2) NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power Cord, North America

BezelNo Bezel

Quick Sync 2 (Wireless At-the-box mgmt)No Quick Sync for Tower

BIOS and Advanced System Configuration SettingsPower Saving Dell Active Power Controller

Advanced System ConfigurationsUEFI BIOS Boot Mode with GPT Partition

Rack RailsNo Rack Rails, No Cable Management Arm, No Casters

System DocumentationNo Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit

iDRAC Service ModuleiDRAC Server Manager Enabled

Dell Services: Hardware Support3 Years ProSupport with Next Business Day Onsite Service

Deployment ServicesNo Installation

Remote Consulting ServicesDeclined Remote Consulting Service

TOTAL:   $7,104.22

Total Price

Sub-total$7,104.22

Shipping & Handling$0.00

Tax *$621.61

Total Price1$7,725.83

Looks fine, but does it have iDrac Enterprise which gives you a ton of bare-metal features including VNC to the console outside the OS? See if you can get them to throw that in while retaining the same price.

36 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Looks fine, but does it have iDrac Enterprise which gives you a ton of bare-metal features including VNC to the console outside the OS? See if you can get them to throw that in while retaining the same price.

I don't even know what that is. I've been building my own PC's for like 25 years, but my knowledge of servers is VERY basic.

EDIT: 

I just looked and it says iDRAC Service ModuleiDRAC Server Manager Enabled

Is that what you meant?

Edited by patseguin

1 minute ago, patseguin said:

I just looked and it says iDRAC Service ModuleiDRAC Server Manager Enabled

Is that what you meant?

He's referring to this:

It's definitely worth upgrading that to iDRAC Enterprise. The enterprise license adds a number of features - most usefully the ability to use Remote Console, which allows you to access the server remotely via your web browser, saving you having to go on-site, into the server room, and plug in a screen and keyboard. If the server has an issue during boot up, so normal remote desktop is unavailable, you can use the remote console via iDRAC to access the machine as if you were sat in front of it with a monitor and keyboard - very handy for troubleshooting remotely.

• Like 2

definitely upgrade to iDRAC Enterprise! It's totally worth the extra money. i'd also double the RAM.

are you transferring your SQL license? unless you're using Express, you'll need to make sure your license will be compatible w/ the new server.

These would be considered production applications. Are you going to get more than one server? I would suggest getting three, running a hypervisor and doing a sql cluster for sure. Filemaker can be run in a cluster as well. Don't want downtime when you need to do updates/have issues. 

Also, it isn't best practices to host files directly on a server. Use external storage like a QNAP appliance. 

4 minutes ago, Riva said:

Are you virtualising on the server?

I feel this config is an overkill for 5 workstatiosn/users unless the business is going to scale up greatly in the next 2-3 years

It would be best to come off the specs and get 2-3 servers and run hyper-v or they have the money, VMware. A single server, even running as a hyper visor is asking for trouble, especially hosting files on it. This needs to be architected completely different. 

3 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

These would be considered production applications. Are you going to get more than one server? I would suggest getting three, running a hypervisor and doing a sql cluster for sure. Filemaker can be run in a cluster as well. Don't want downtime when you need to do updates/have issues. 

Actually, the modern way is to configure a Kubernetes Cluster.

That gives you modern "Cloud Native" architecture (which does NOT need a cloud, just the new server side standard for EVERYTHING) which gives built  in auto healing.

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

Boot Optimized Storage CardsBOSS controller card + with 2 M.2 Sticks 240G (RAID 1),FH

The Database should be on a SSD ARRAY

The large drives should go into a backup cluster/container

ProcessorIntel® Xeon® Gold 5118 2.3G, 12C/24T, 10.4GT/s, 16.5M Cache, Turbo, HT (105W) DDR4-2400

Some odd there

The LGA3647 mobo should have 6-way RAM

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Actually, the modern way is to configure a Kubernetes Cluster.

That gives you modern "Cloud Native" architecture (which does NOT need a cloud, just the new server side standard for EVERYTHING) which gives built  in auto healing.

Some odd there

Yes, running on K8s would be best. 

15 minutes ago, Riva said:

Are you virtualising on the server?

I feel this config is an overkill for 5 workstatiosn/users unless the business is going to scale up greatly in the next 2-3 years

That was my main concern. We are just a small business with 5 workstations. We may add a couple here and there if we hire additional employees but that's probably it.

It's going to run an SQL Express based database which hosts embroidery design files, a Filemaker Server database which runs Shopworks Onsite (our industry's order management software), and a simple embroidery machine networking application.

That's about all that our server does. We have a "shared company files" folder where I copy files that I want to keep and I also save AI artwork to a folder on it.

I don't think we remotely have a big operation to consider a cluster of servers or anything like that. Just a basic enough server to handle what our business needs.

Maybe I should start over with a more basic configuration?

6 minutes ago, Riva said:

My take is:

2x hyper-v servers active/passive. Raid 10 100-200GB disks

NAS storage - as needed

In regards to capacity planning:

-Domain Controller: 2 cores, 4GB RAM, 60GB storage, 12GB swap file partition (if its just AD,DNS,DHCP)

-SQL: 4 cores, 8GB RAM, 80GB system, 26GB swap partition, x storage based on storage requirements + 2 years data growth

-File Server: 4 cores, 16GB RAM,  32GB swap partition, storage partition as needed

-Filemaker- i have no clue about requirements

Yes. that sounds good. Make sure you are running two AD servers though ;) Also, wouldn't hurt to leverage AzureAD. 

i really think you guys are over compensating here. While it's not the optimal setup, the company surely doesnt have the funds to set up an entire domain and various extra servers. I feel his single server build is just fine for a whopping 5 employees.

16 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i really think you guys are over compensating here. While it's not the optimal setup, the company surely doesnt have the funds to set up an entire domain and various extra servers. I feel his single server build is just fine for a whopping 5 employees.

Not at all. You always need Business Continuity. While it is a small business, you should keep in mind the best needs for the business. Having a single point of failure is horrible. Just because it's small, doesn't mean to set it up incorrectly. I can build an entire environment with HA for under $7K. 

Grab 2-3 Used R710s 12 Core 64GB Ram for $250, Grab two QNAPs $500 ea, SSDs for the VMs and spin disk for files, and you're under $4K and it's a much better setup. 

8 hours ago, patseguin said:

I don't think we remotely have a big operation to consider a cluster of servers or anything like that. Just a basic enough server to handle what our business needs.

Maybe I should start over with a more basic configuration?

8 hours ago, Jason S. said:

8 hours ago, Riva said:

I agree, I would actually suggest not running any infrastructure at all and getting Office 365 E3 instead. Obviously Filemaker will have to go but you have SharePoint for way better document storage, project management features, PowerApps for building apps, Flow for workflow, Exchange and Office clients included. Azure AD also included.

so assuming you have 5 users, $20x5 a month is peanuts. Just connect the 5 workstations to Azure AD and voila.

There is a difference between a large number of physical servers and a single machine with decent RAM to run a few VMs.

The main thing to consider is that the physical equipment selection is a provisioning thing and the purpose of each server either physical or a VM image is an ARCHITECTURE thing.

If you plan to grow/expand in the future then staring out with the right architecture means you just add stuff later instead of re-design stuff later. For better or for worse, HUMANITY has come together like some butterfly effect thing to land solidly on Kubernetes for server side ANYTHING. Anybody who is anybody in the computing industry is now a member of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (Oracle was the last major player holdout) which specifies sometimes in a very specific way, more often in a general way the right way to do anything with servers and clouds:

EVERYTHING LIVES IN A CONTAINER. Containers are immutable so they can be constructed, torn down, restarted, moved anywhere in the physical clusters there is available RAM and CPU and all of the complex stuff is managed by Kubernetes.

So, you no longer think of servers and which server is doing what. It takes a bit to set it up right but then MAGIC HAPPENS. If you adapt to Kubernetes then you just add servers down the road and it handles what goes where, if you add cloud Kubernete servers, it adds them in. If you get an order for a million embroideries, Kubernetes fires up a million containers if you need it. Google is deploying billions of things on containers every day.

Back to earth, the minimum Kubernetes config is 3 servers. But you can go super-starter and run those 3 servers as VMs on a single server. (You can also replace those 3 server VMs with MINIKUBE, but I don't suggest that for any production usage) Again, the allocation unit is a Container, not a server. So adding servers just becomes a demand-load kind of thing. If you get a cloud contract, you can literally run embroidery on a million containers within minutes...

So that is just a rough sketch of server architecture. Your down to earth requirements don't need the equipment you selected and would actually make expanding harder in the future since you need more servers eventually so 3 cheap ones gets your Kubernetes minimum 3 server config  onto real hardware as a starting point a bit faster than a huge monlythic one right now.

You could dust off some old PCs that are new enough to run a Hypervisor (any old PC first gen i-Series or later) and then just boot to Kubernetes on Bare Metal.

You also just set up that minimum config in the Cloud, but even that's too much work because Cloud now offers directly hosted Kubernetes.

Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/services/kubernetes-service/

Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)

https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/turnkey/azure/

Kubernetes on AWS

https://aws.amazon.com/kubernetes/

https://aws.amazon.com/eks/

Running Kubernetes on AWS EC2

https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/turnkey/aws/

Wow, am I ever getting lost. Can't I just buy a simple server with Windows Server 2019 on it and install everything I need to run on it? Our business runs on Shopworks Onsite which is a Windows based Filemaker database. I install FIlemaker Server on the server and then my 5 workstations connect to that. It also runs WIlcom Design Workflow which is an SQL Express based embroidery design database. Other than that, we just store files on it like AI files for artwork and backups of installers, etc. I don't think I need VM's, clusters, all that other stuff do I? I'm not even sure why VM's are even being mentioned. Don't you run a VM if you need to run another OS like Linux?

@DevTechwhat kind of scenario would I want to run VM's? I only have those couple of apps that need to run on the server and besides that, it just needs to store files. Are you saying that I would run a VM for each task that I need like a VM for a machine to run the FIlemaker Server app and database, a VM for the embroidery database, etc.? I'm not sure what the benefit to doing that is. PLus, wouldn't i need a license for each instance of WIndows Server 2019 I'm running? Right now I have an 11 year old (at least) Dell server with WIndows Server 2008, 4GB RAM, and 540GB of storage in RAID 5. After all this time it's only about 50% full and those low spec run my business. I wouldn't even be thinking about upgrading except I need to in order to run the new version of Filemaker for Shopworks.

Wow, am I ever getting lost. Can't I just buy a simple server with Windows Server 2019 on it and install everything I need to run on it? Our business runs on Shopworks Onsite which is a Windows based Filemaker database. I install FIlemaker Server on the server and then my 5 workstations connect to that. It also runs WIlcom Design Workflow which is an SQL Express based embroidery design database. Other than that, we just store files on it like AI files for artwork and backups of installers, etc. I don't think I need VM's, clusters, all that other stuff do I? I'm not even sure why VM's are even being mentioned. Don't you run a VM if you need to run another OS like Linux?

@DevTechwhat kind of scenario would I want to run VM's? I only have those couple of apps that need to run on the server and besides that, it just needs to store files. Are you saying that I would run a VM for each task that I need like a VM for a machine to run the FIlemaker Server app and database, a VM for the embroidery database, etc.? I'm not sure what the benefit to doing that is. PLus, wouldn't i need a license for each instance of WIndows Server 2019 I'm running? Right now I have an 11 year old (at least) Dell server with WIndows Server 2008, 4GB RAM, and 540GB of storage in RAID 5. After all this time it's only about 50% full and those low spec run my business. I wouldn't even be thinking about upgrading except I need to in order to run the new version of Filemaker for Shopworks.

If you ask a question here, please take comfort that most times you will get professional answers with a decent amount of due diligence which actually continues to amaze me every so often when I step back for the "big picture"

In 2019, when you say the word "server" the Cloud Native Computing Foundation is the authentic prescriptive architecture for EVERYTHING.

A minimum config for a modern setup is 3 servers, probably one or two more when you take data persistence and backup into account.

The cheapest way to to make a "newbie starter" version of the correct architecture is to use VMs to emulate the physical servers you would buy if you could. It is a workable approach.

Also, the world has moved past VM's in the manner that you are thinking about them. They are just a holding pattern for Docker Containers. And yes a "proper" architecture has everything isolated into it's own container. You don't start an application, you start one or more containers as a "Pod" that can be replicated and multiplied as needed ad infinitum with the insanely complex management of the life cycle of these entities being managed by Kubernetes.

All of this information has been provided so that you can digest it, if you choose, and incorporate current server architecture standards into your planning.

Of course you don't have to do that and can focus on a "retro" type setup which as you point out will meet your needs as a small shop. To that extent I have already pointed out the anomalies that I noticed in your server configuration and I think I was complete in that review but just in case I missed anything, I'll look at your config again...

On 6/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, patseguin said:

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

PowerEdge T640 Tower ServerQty  1

PowerEdge T640Unit Price$7,104.22

Estimated Delivery:1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM-6/21/2019 5:00:00 AM

Catalog Number: 4 PE_T640_12442C

Module DescriptionShow Details

Trusted Platform ModuleNo Trusted Platform Module

Chassis ConfigurationChassis with up to 8" x 3.5 SAS/SATA Hard Drives, Tower Configuration

Additional ProcessorNo Additional Processor

Processor Thermal ConfigurationStandard HS for Less = 150W

Memory DIMM Type and Speed2666MT/s RDIMMs

Memory Configuration TypePerformance Optimized

RAID ConfigurationC5, RAID 10 for HDDs or SSDs in pairs (Matching Type/Speed/Capacity)

RAID/Internal Storage ControllersPERC H330 RAID Controller

Operating SystemWindows Server® 2019 Standard,16CORE,FI,No Med,No CAL, Multi Language

OS Media KitsWindows Server® 2019 Standard,16CORE,Media Kit, Multi Language

Client Access Licenses10-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs (Standard or Datacenter)

Client Access Licenses5-pack of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services, User

Group ManageriDRAC Group Manager, Disabled

PasswordiDRAC,Factory Generated Password

Additional Network CardsOn-Board Dual-Port 10GbE LOM

Internal Optical DriveNo Internal Optical Drive for x8/x18/x16 chassis

FansNo Additional Mid Fan for T640

Power SupplyDual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 495W

BezelNo Bezel

Quick Sync 2 (Wireless At-the-box mgmt)No Quick Sync for Tower

BIOS and Advanced System Configuration SettingsPower Saving Dell Active Power Controller

Advanced System ConfigurationsUEFI BIOS Boot Mode with GPT Partition

Rack RailsNo Rack Rails, No Cable Management Arm, No Casters

System DocumentationNo Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit

iDRAC Service ModuleiDRAC Server Manager Enabled

Dell Services: Hardware Support3 Years ProSupport with Next Business Day Onsite Service

Deployment ServicesNo Installation

Remote Consulting ServicesDeclined Remote Consulting Service

TOTAL:   $7,104.22

Total Price

Sub-total$7,104.22

Shipping & Handling$0.00

Tax *$621.61

Total Price1$7,725.83

On 6/7/2019 at 9:26 AM, DevTech said:

Some odd there

2 hours ago, patseguin said:

Our business runs on Shopworks Onsite which is a Windows based Filemaker database. I install FIlemaker Server on the server and then my 5 workstations connect to that. It also runs WIlcom Design Workflow which is an SQL Express based embroidery design database. Other than that, we just store files on it like AI files for artwork and backups of installers, etc

2 hours ago, patseguin said:

Right now I have an 11 year old (at least) Dell server with WIndows Server 2008, 4GB RAM, and 540GB of storage in RAID 5. After all this time it's only about 50% full and those low spec run my business. I wouldn't even be thinking about upgrading except I need to in order to run the new version of Filemaker for Shopworks.

==========================================

I've pasted in the "bare facts". My apologies for also not taking the time to paste in the other suggestions, but I'm tight for time today.

#1 - you can run the whole show on a modern laptop and comfortably exceed your original server. By using a laptop, you can easily move shop to an island with palm trees anytime you feel like it. I think I'm joking here, but hmmm....

#2 - #1 is saying anything modern will do the job so anything over and above that is just Optimizing to Get The Best Value

#3 - A Xeon CPU really just has a nicer "server bulged out fat cache" to achieve good throughput performance in FULL LOAD conditions which you are far from having so an i7 or i9 CPU if cheaper will do just as good.

#4 - If you go with a modern LGA 3647 socket based Xeon then why not specify a mobo with a spare CPU socket, but above all the MAIN FEATURE of the new platform which is 6 WAY RAM

#5 - the hard drive config is just a bit too "old school" - the M.2 NVMe (if it is NVMe) is WASTED on booting for server which never needs to boot... 

#5 A) use a RAID-1 SATA array with SSD 2 TB for boot and misc installs (Samsung 860 Pro or enterprise equivalent at least as good which is hard to find)

#5 B) use 2 M.2 NVMe slots for 4 TB Samsung 970 Pro (or better if you can find that) in RAID-1 for most everything and perfect for DB - A RAID-1 Samsung 970 is going to BLOW AWAY the performance of those old school spinning stupidities...

#5 C) use a RAID-1 modern spinning drive for general storage and backup using just the new 12 TB and 14 TB drives like WD Gold for which you just ignore whether you need the size or not and focus in a new reliability level being achieved in those state-of-the-art platters.

#5 D) I don't have time to check right now, but an enterprise mobo with enough PCIe lanes to support 8 or more M.2 NVMe sockets would make so much more sense these days...

EDIT: I was sort of following the posted config a bit but for your needs the ONLY HD you need in the box is that RAID-1 4 TB Samsung 970 Pro, since that drive is so blazingly fast it won't conflict at all to multi-purpose it a bit :)

EDIT: for spinning platter backup you could also consider replacing internal drives with 2 USB 3.0 2.5 inch portable externals one of which you can move back and forth off site. Double-Backup will ALWAYS beat out RAID-1 for reliability

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I've pasted in the "bare facts". My apologies for also not taking the time to paste in the other suggestions, but I'm tight for time today.

You're tight on time but you wrote THAT? That's kinda hard to do. :laugh:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DevTech said:

#1 - you can run the whole show on a modern laptop and comfortably exceed your original server. By using a laptop, you can easily move shop to an island with palm trees anytime you feel like it. I think I'm joking here, but hmmm....

#2 - #1 is saying anything modern will do the job so anything over and above that is just Optimizing to Get The Best Value

#3 - A Xeon CPU really just has a nicer "server bulged out fat cache" to achieve good throughput performance in FULL LOAD conditions which you are far from having so an i7 or i9 CPU if cheaper will do just as good.

#4 - If you go with a modern LGA 3647 socket based Xeon then why not specify a mobo with a spare CPU socket, but above all the MAIN FEATURE of the new platform which is 6 WAY RAM

#5 - the hard drive config is just a bit too "old school" - the M.2 NVMe (if it is NVMe) is WASTED on booting for server which never needs to boot... 

#5 A) use a RAID-1 SATA array with SSD 2 TB for boot and misc installs (Samsung 860 Pro or enterprise equivalent at least as good which is hard to find)

#5 B) use 2 M.2 NVMe slots for 4 TB Samsung 970 Pro (or better if you can find that) in RAID-1 for most everything and perfect for DB - A RAID-1 Samsung 970 is going to BLOW AWAY the performance of those old school spinning stupidities...

#5 C) use a RAID-1 modern spinning drive for general storage and backup using just the new 12 TB and 14 TB drives like WD Gold for which you just ignore whether you need the size or not and focus in a new reliability level being achieved in those state-of-the-art platters.

#5 D) I don't have time to check right now, but an enterprise mobo with enough PCIe lanes to support 8 or more M.2 NVMe sockets would make so much more sense these days...

I think some of that may be addressed in a new quote they gave me with a different chassis and with iDRAC Enterprise. She said she configured an extra CPU as well.

No FGA 817-BBBB - 1 -
PowerEdge T440 Server 210-AMEI - 1 -
Motherboard 329-BDMW - 1 -
No Trusted Platform Module 461-AADZ - 1 -
Chassis with up to 8, 3.5" Hot-Plug Hard Drives, Rack Configuration 321-BCWM - 1 -
PowerEdge T440 Shipping 340-BSJL - 1 -
PowerEdge T440 Shipping Material 343-BBGY - 1 -
Intel Xeon Silver 4110 2.1G, 8C/16T, 9.6GT/s , 11M Cache, Turbo, HT
(85W) DDR4-2400
338-BLUQ - 1 -
Intel Xeon Silver 4110 2.1G, 8C/16T, 9.6GT/s , 11M Cache, Turbo, HT
(85W) DDR4-2400
374-BBPN - 1 -
Standard Heat Sink for 2nd CPU 412-AAKD - 1 -
2666MT/s RDIMMs 370-ADNU - 1 -
Performance Optimized 370-AAIP - 1 -
RAID 10 780-BCDQ - 1 -
PERC H730P RAID Controller, 2GB NV Cache, Adapter, Full Height 405-AAMR - 1 -
BOSS controller card + with 1 M.2 Sticks 240G (No RAID),FH 403-BBPR - 1 -
Windows Server 2019 Standard,16CORE,FI,No Med, No CAL, Multi
Language
634-BSFE - 1 -
Windows Server 2019 Standard,16CORE,Media Kit, Multi Language 634-BSGL - 1 -
Windows Server 2019 Standard,No Media,WS2016 STD Downgrade
Media, Multi Language
634-BSGN - 1 -
iDRAC9,Enterprise 385-BBKT - 1 -
OME Server Configuration Management 528-BBWT - 1 -
iDRAC Service Module (ISM), Pre-Installed in OS 379-BCQW - 1 -
iDRAC Group Manager, Enabled 379-BCQV - 1 -
iDRAC,Legacy Password 379-BCSG - 1 -
On-Board LOM 542-BBBP - 1 -
No Internal Optical Drive 429-AAIQ - 1 -
No Internal Optical Drive 429-AAQS - 1 -
Page 3
Dell inc. U.S. only. Dell inc. is located at One Dell Way, Mail Stop 8129, Round Rock, TX 78682
Dual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 750W 450-AGRC - 1 -
Dell EMC Logo Push Pin 325-BCON - 1 -
No Bezel 350-BBBW - 1 -
Performance BIOS Settings 384-BBBL - 1 -
UEFI BIOS Boot Mode with GPT Partition 800-BBDM - 1 -
No Rack Rails, No Cable Management Arm, No Casters 770-BBCR - 1 -
No Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit 631-AACK - 1 -
US Order 332-1286 - 1 -
Basic Next Business Day 12 Months 709-BBFC - 1 -
ProSupport Plus Next Business Day Onsite Service Initial, 12 Month(s) 865-BBKU - 1 -
ProSupport Plus Next Business Day Onsite Service Extension, 48
Month(s)
865-BBKV - 1 -
On-Site Installation Declined 900-9997 - 1 -
16GB RDIMM, 2666MT/s, Dual Rank 370-ADND - 2 -
1.2TB 10K RPM SAS 12Gbps 512n 2.5in Hot-plug Hard Drive, 3.5in
HYB CARR
400-AUQZ - 4 -
10-pack of Windows Server 2019/2016 User CALs (Standard or
Datacenter)
634-BSFS - 1 -
5-pack of Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services, User 634-BSFQ - 1 -
NEMA 5-15P to C13 Wall Plug, 125 Volt, 15 AMP, 10 Feet (3m), Power
Cord, North America
450-AALV - 2 -

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I think some of that may be addressed in a new quote they gave me with a different chassis and with iDRAC Enterprise. She said she configured an extra CPU as well.

I'll review in 10 mins but I think all my concerns are still there in almost identical (in terms of issues) 2nd config

15 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I'll review in 10 mins but I think all my concerns are still there in almost identical (in terms of issues) 2nd config

Hmm, your main issue seemed to be with storage. They did configure it with SSD for the OS and SAS x4 in RAID 10. I've been running my current server for like 11-12 years without a drive failure or performance issue. Unless SSD's don't skyrocket my price, I'd probably stay with SAS for storage.

If you are happy with the last one, pull the trigger.  

It will be more than what you can handle....and dev's information is more info than even I can wrap my head around....he is certainly into the weeds.  

Enterprise drac will negate the need of having a kvm....you can remote into the system with the drac ip address if your domain controller goes down and loose internal dns.  You will be allowed to easily perform reboot functions or power on functions so long as you have access to the network (vpn).  

Everything else, just make sure you have the storage you need (I recommend raid 6 due to having the ability for 2 drives to fail) or 50 or 60.  I would also recommend you have at least 16GB of memory, more if you plan on adding in virtualization.  

I personally would be looking at a vtrx system with vmware, and datacenter licensing.  It will be more money but it will be more power and redundancy and allow you to grow as needed.  upgrade/add compute power as needed.

9 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Hmm, your main issue seemed to be with storage. They did configure it with SSD for the OS and SAS x4 in RAID 10. I've been running my current server for like 11-12 years without a drive failure or performance issue. Unless SSD's don't skyrocket my price, I'd probably stay with SAS for storage.

I'm trying to understand your objectives in terms of how they translate into a technical requirement.

#1 - you don't really need to upgrade for any performance reason

#2 - so, you need to upgrade, yet instead of lookiing at 2019, you config a pumped up 2008 type system that improves on nothing at all (that you need) for this effort

#3 - the only thing that could help you in a way your needs might get a shot in the arm is the STORAGE which is why I focus on it!

#4 - i will check and see what Dell has available

8 minutes ago, sc302 said:

he is certainly into the weeds

Weeds?

Server == CNCF at this point - every Industry Giant has signed on to it.

Minimum Kube config is 3 active servers, 1 for control, 1 for etcd, 1 for PODS... up to 1,000 for PODS before adding more cluster controllers.

Proper advice given.

Now he actually wants "Mom & Pop File Server with a FileMaker DB gravy on the side"

So, 1 low end PC with nice FAST storage for the DB does that trick.