The Mandalorian

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. “The Mandalorian” is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

November 12!

Yea, I like that style in SW a lot. Looking forward to it. Well, I'd look forward to it anyway, it is SW.

9 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

People don't want random new characters they have no investment in, they want Boba Fett.

This is not true. Shoehorning characters like Fett into everything and rerunning old characters is one of the worst things they've been obsessed with doing. We need new characters. We need new Ahsokas and Aphras. Fans love those characters a helluva lot more than we love seeing little child Boba Fett shoved into other movies. Ahsoka was wildly unpopular when she was introduced, but after some changes and development, she's one of the most popular characters in canon.

The best Star Wars rumors recently have been the Old Republic movie rumors.

Boba Fett sucks, anyway.

• Like 2

I'm probably in the minority here but I have very little interest in side characters history and movies, TV shows.  Disney is just doing too much with star wars, maybe I'm feeling burn out. 

Star Wars especially has always had a shitload of extended stories. There are dozens of books and comics and games and shows and shorts and... pretty much everything. Disney isn't doing any more than was done before under Lucas. They probably just have better marketing and a more visible platform. SW lore goes pretty freaking insane. This is just another slice. I suppose people who aren't huge SW fans would get burned out - doing a movie a year was way too ambitious - but I don't think they're doing too much.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, Zagadka said:

Boba Fett sucks, anyway.

You take that back right now!

I agree with everything else though.

I'm just about to leave the office so I'll have to watch the trailer when I get home.

17 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Star Wars especially has always had a shitload of extended stories. There are dozens of books and comics and games and shows and shorts and... pretty much everything. Disney isn't doing any more than was done before under Lucas. They probably just have better marketing and a more visible platform. SW lore goes pretty freaking insane. This is just another slice. I suppose people who aren't huge SW fans would get burned out - doing a movie a year was way too ambitious - but I don't think they're doing too much.

That's fine, and I'm aware of the extended universe books.  I'm also aware of the fact that once disney bought the rights and started the new trilogy they said, we don't care about all those books, and they don't take them into account at all.

In general I'm just not interested in side characters, for any series.  And I'm also not much of a fan of prequels in general. 

• 2 months later...

And Disney suddenly remembered that there are aliens in Star Wars.

The only "off" thing was the music, which wasn't bad, just off. I enjoyed it and look forward to the next episode. Which is good, because this is like 90% of the reason I have Disney+. Thanks, but I already have the first 10 seasons of The Simpsons on DVD. Anyway, felt like Star Wars. It was a pretty simple introduction to the series, I don't know how much there is to say. Can't say that I like or dislike the character, there wasn't really any development, though you get an idea of who he is and what his goals are.

• Like 2

Spoiler free review here.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have some grave concerns about how much they can develop a character that you can't see their face.  I totally get that you can read empathy in droids where the faces never move, but there's only so much character development you can do here without empathy and emotion and expression.

Having said that I absolutely expect we'll see the mask come off sometime soon.

Side characters are enjoyable as hell.  You remember them and they're not annoying.  Intriguing is a great word. 

I appreciate any show that has an arc and not an episode of the moment, so as long as the plot drives the story forward, I'll ride this train til the last station.

Star Wars show The Mandalorian is diffcult to care about

Disney has launched its new streaming service with an impressive archive of film and TV. But the new, original content so far is unfocused and bland – including this space Western.

By Caryn James

13 November 2019

Reaching for his weapon, an armored, helmeted, raspy-voiced bounty hunter tells a green-faced guy with gills, “I can bring you in warm. Or I can bring you in cold.” The bounty hunter is the title character of The Mandalorian, and although the series is set in the Star Wars universe (see: the fish-faced criminal) it is essentially an old-fashioned space Western, which owes as much to Clint Eastwood as to Han Solo.

Source and more

I won't lie, by the time I got round to watching it I was falling asleep already so I can't give an opinion on it yet. I might try again this evening because I'm still excited for this, but this review makes me think of the Solo film: it could be great if you don't think of it as being Star Wars and instead think of it more as a Sci-Fi Western like Firefly.

Finally got around to watching it ... was a bit worried after watching Episode 1 (was somewhat slow) ... but after Episode 2 ... I'm all in.  Turning out to be a really good show in my opinion.  Hopefully the rest of the season is just as good.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, George P said:

I'm surprised no one complained, or maybe I didn't see it, about the shortness of the eps.  

Seems they are filmed with commercials in mind.  Leads me to think that some day Disney is open to licensing these out to be shown on regular TV..... or they are hedging their bets in case the streaming service somehow fails.

1 minute ago, Innervisions33 said:

Seems they are filmed with commercials in mind.  Leads me to think that some day Disney is open to licensing these out to be shown on regular TV..... or they are hedging their bets in case the streaming service somehow fails.

Other shows do commercials and clock in at around the 44min mark, give or take how much you cut out for opening and endings.  I think 2nd ep of this was just over 30mins, and it looks like ep4 is going to be 30mins or less if you take the ending credits out of the mix.  How many commercials would you show to fill up a normal time slot???   I don't think it's a negative, just different at this point, almost like they filmed a 4hr movie and decided to cut it up into 8 parts.  Hell maybe they'll release a full "movie" version for sale in the future?

7 minutes ago, Innervisions33 said:

Hmmm...I don't think so. They are too long for a 30 minute slot and too short for a hour slot. TV shows are usually around 40-45 minutes.

I think the short episodes are because of cost.  I do not mind really ... helps leave out "filler" ... if you know what I mean.

15 hours ago, Jim K said:

Hmmm...I don't think so. They are too long for a 30 minute slot and too short for a hour slot. TV shows are usually around 40-45 minutes.

I think the short episodes are because of cost.  I do not mind really ... helps leave out "filler" ... if you know what I mean.

If IMDB info is correct, ep4 to 8 are all marked at 30mins.    The longest ep so far has been the first at 37'ish or so.   But yeah probably cost, I'm sure they filmed it all in one go like a movie with a smaller budget and just let the editing cut it up into 8 eps.   They could've done for example 6 eps and made each longer and it would've been the same probably.   I believe they did 8 because that's as many episodes as they could make out of it though, you know, to keep people on D+ longer.