Tesla Cybertruck

On 25/01/2024 at 00:36, DeathLace said:

"DailyMail.com has reached out for comment to Tesla, which dissolved its US media relations team in October 2020. "

Anything Musk is associated with is a cesspool. He, like Trump feels like he should not have to answer to anyone, not even the people who hand over their money to them in donations or buying their products.

• Like 2

Some of you brilliant Neowinians posting in this thread bashing on Cybertruck or Elon should actually produce or do something to make a difference in the world, other than sit here and act like Einsteins and Kings of the Universe, only fooling yourselves and acting like utter trolls.

• Haha 4

On 25/01/2024 at 17:15, JayZJay said:

Some of you brilliant Neowinians posting in this thread bashing on Cybertruck or Elon should actually produce or do something to make a difference in the world, other than sit here and act like Einsteins and Kings of the Universe, only fooling yourselves and acting like utter trolls.

You should try contributing to the topic rather than bashing those that have contributed. Stop acting like a King of the Universe, or acting like an utter troll. :) 

@Steven P. Most of these comments I've read over the last few weeks are not contributing and why should I join DocM in sharing actual insight when the vast majority of people in this thread ARE CLEARLY NOT INTERESTED in any actual reasonable discussion?  Few of these comments really amount to serious discussion or reasonable and diplomatic dialogue as to the various aspects, good and bad, of the Cybertruck, the technology that has been developed, etc.  Differing opinions is one thing, a crack about DocM sucking Elon's scrotum is completely unacceptable and not "contributing" in any meaningful way.  Yet, that comment remains and we are made to believe that Neowin is actually operating by TOS that are fairly and consistently applied.  Having seen this continual trend on Neowin for years, most of the time it isn't worth putting much effort into sharing my opinion or actual knowledge (based on research and investigation) when nasty, degenerate people post just about anything while the mods do nothing or are involved in the same activity.  The old adage of "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." definitely applies here.

It is a shame that Neowin has become so toxic (at least at times) since I discovered it back in 2000.  [Yes, I've been here since the beginning, just didn't bother creating an account until 2006.]

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/01/2024 at 18:27, JayZJay said:

It is a shame that Neowin has become so toxic (at least at times) since I discovered it back in 2000.  [Yes, I've been here since the beginning, just didn't bother creating an account until 2006.]

In 2006 we didn't have despots like Trump and Elon Musk conning millions of people into a cult-like following, and it is just one of two persons. Why not participate in other threads that don't have anything to do with Elon Musk, a figure that is disliked by the majority of this community for more than enough logical reasonings?

The Cybertruck is another ego trip by Musk where a lot of people have proven it is nothing like what was announced in 2019 (back then people thought it was stupid too) and it is even dangerous. So people are going to discuss this, just like Musks claims of autopilot which have caused more harm (and deaths!) than good.

On 25/01/2024 at 09:15, JayZJay said:

Give me the silver spoon Musk was born with and I'll make the world a better place.

Its an EV Truck, and not even the first one to market or even revolutionary. It has issues and are being discussed.

Any Musk hate fuel has been provided by Musk himself.

On 25/01/2024 at 13:01, Steven P. said:

In 2006 we didn't have despots like Trump and Elon Musk conning millions of people into a cult-like following, and it is just one of two persons. Why not participate in other threads that don't have anything to do with Elon Musk, a figure that is disliked by the majority of this community for more than enough logical reasonings?

The Cybertruck is another ego trip by Musk where a lot of people have proven it is nothing like what was announced in 2019 (back then people thought it was stupid too) and it is even dangerous. So people are going to discuss this, just like Musks claims of autopilot which have caused more harm (and deaths!) than good.

I don't understand why a discussion about Cybertruck gets turned into a focus on Elon.  Or even having Trump brought into the discussion.  The truck itself has plenty to discuss.  If one thinks the hype about the Cybertruck is BS, then let's discuss why it is BS.

And as much as Elon is involved in Tesla, Elon didn't design the Cybertruck.  Franz von Holzhausen did.  Lars Moravy was the Head of Vehicle Engineering.  There is plenty to debate about choices that were made.  Elon and others at Tesla said they wanted a "BladeRunner" future looking vehicle.  Is it an ego trip or stupid design?  Maybe.  That is something to debate.  There is no right or wrong answer as to liking or disliking the look.

Now, Full Self Driving has been a train-wreck to a degree.  I think that is an area where Elon and Tesla clearly over-promised and under-delivered.  I think they underestimated how difficult that was going to be pull off and properly account for all of the factors and variables, edge cases, and so on while maintaining or even improving safety.  That said, even with the deaths and accidents, what would you be basing your "caused more harm (and deaths!) than good" comment on?  We hear about problems, but we also don't necessarily hear about when the system helped or protected someone.  Of course, there is the issue of whether "autopilot" was being properly used or misused by the driver that led to an accident.  In my opinion, we cannot fully trust any of these systems (by Tesla or other companies) at this point and doing so is taking a risk.

On 25/01/2024 at 13:07, adrynalyne said:

Give me the silver spoon Musk was born with and I'll make the world a better place.  Maybe, maybe not.  We will never know.

Its an EV Truck, and not even the first one to market or even revolutionary. It has issues and are being discussed.  Is there another EV truck to use drive-by-wire, which has a long history in planes?  Is there another EV truck with a single megacast being used for the rear?  I think even the front of the Cybertruck is basically a single cast, but maybe it is 2 parts.  That is where the industry is going.  Large casts to minimize parts, welds, weak spots, etc.  In the auto industry, Tesla's use of large casts is somewhat revolutionary, though not "exciting" like bells and whistles.

• Facepalm 1

On 25/01/2024 at 11:58, JayZJay said:

Maybe, maybe not.  We will never know.

-Thats right, which shows why your comment didn't make any sense whatsoever. Its easy to affect change when you have wealth to begin with. For you to ask someone else to do that, give them equal footing first.

Is there another EV truck to use drive-by-wire, which has a long history in planes?  Is there another EV truck with a single megacast being used for the rear?  I think even the front of the Cybertruck is basically a single cast, but maybe it is 2 parts.  That is where the industry is going.  Large casts to minimize parts, welds, weak spots, etc.  In the auto industry, Tesla's use of large casts is somewhat revolutionary, though not "exciting" like bells and whistles.

Just because Tesla decided to do things differently doesn't mean its revolutionary, nor does it mean it doesn't have issues. It does mean its different and different doesn't always mean better, though we would like to think it should.

The CT doesn't bring anything to the table that wasn't possible (or needed) before. Just because you can do something differently, doesn't mean you should. It also doesn't mean its changing the world.

At the end of the day, Musk bankrolled it. He didn't actually do anything; his employees did and they deserve credit, not their monetary resource. Him saying stupid things (or lying) is what gets people talking bad about him. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 3

I really can't see myself buying electric car. To me it seems they really didn't think this through. There have been some cases in UK for example where someone drove their Tesla on heavy rain and it killed the battery. Now it was on the news here in Finland that one insurance company won't give insurances to some new Audi and Porsche models anymore because the car is basically scrap metal if the battery gets damaged.

Then there is the temperature. It was about -30 C in here couple of weeks ago so it just does not work.

Today there was also on the news something from Porsche CFO. He said EV sales are declining and there is now talks in EU so that manufacturing of internal combustion engines can go on after 2035.

Edited by Joni_78
  • Like 2

On 26/01/2024 at 06:00, Joni_78 said:

I really can't see myself buying electric car. To me it seems they really didn't think this through. There have been some cases in UK for example where someone drove their Tesla on heavy rain and it killed the battery. Now it was on the news here in Finland that one insurance company won't give insurances to some new Audi and Porsche models anymore because the car is basically scrap metal if the battery gets damaged.

Then there is the temperature. It was about -30 C in here couple of weeks ago so it just does not work.

Today there was also on the news something from Porsche CFO. He said EV sales are declining and there is now talks in EU so that manufacturing of internal combustion engines can go on after 2035.

Yeah, they really need to do something about the battery packs (cost wise).  No idea how or if possible...but you shouldn't have to (practically) total your car because it got wet or hit something on the road.  There have been at least two cases here where Hyundai Ioniq 5s have struck something on the road which damaged the pack...$60k.  I think Tesla is much better in this regard ... but it's still more expensive than if your average cars engine blew up and had to be replaced.

On 26/01/2024 at 07:21, Jim K said:

Yeah, they really need to do something about the battery packs (cost wise).  No idea how or if possible...but you shouldn't have to (practically) total your car because it got wet or hit something on the road.  There have been at least two cases here where Hyundai Ioniq 5s have struck something on the road which damaged the pack...$60k.  I think Tesla is much better in this regard ... but it's still more expensive than if your average cars engine blew up and had to be replaced.

I think this is a bigger concern than the lacking charging infrastructure.  People can generally stomach a few thousand dollar repair bill on an ICE engine, but having a battery repair bill of tens of thousands is going to be extremely bad especially if insurance companies refuse to cover it.
Tesla's seem to be pretty well sealed and people float them over flooded areas like boats, but that's an expensive risk to take.

Btw, I was working in Cape Canaveral this week and saw a Cybertruck for the first time.  It sticks out on the road as much as I thought it would.  For anybody that wants an attention-grabbing vehicle, the Cybertruck is certainly it.  For me, that's a top reason I wouldn't buy one.

• Like 3

On 26/01/2024 at 14:49, virtorio said:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-owner-gets-coming-soon-message-when-trying-to-lock-diff

Shipping a product before it's finished. I guess they are a technology company after all.

Following in the foot steps of video games, and now....Windows.

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine spending $100,000 and your car is full on starting to rust after two days of rain.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6WURLH1/

oh wait you don’t have to imagine, because it’s happening lol…

also the wheel covers are damaging the wheels… what? how could any governing body allow this failure of a vehicle on the road?

On 04/02/2024 at 08:38, wakjak said:

Imagine spending $100,000 and your car is full on starting to rust after two days of rain.

also the wheel covers are damaging the wheels… what? how could any governing body allow this failure of a vehicle on the road?

I was wrong. The CT does do things never seen before. 

• Haha 4

On 04/02/2024 at 15:38, wakjak said:

But the metal, it's special, Elon said so.  They're advancing the industry!  Cuck cuck cuck...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.inverse.com/tech/tesla-cybertruck-steel-body-rust-problems

A couple of Cybertruck owners have posted about potential rust-related issues when it comes to the electric truck’s exterior. Raxar, a user on the Cybertruck Owners Club forum, shared images of their Cybertruck following a dish soap wash and driving the EV for two days in the rain. More recently, user vertigo3pc also showed off some images of their Cybertruck with corrosion marks after reportedly driving around in the rain.

On 14/02/2024 at 00:43, hagjohn said:

https://www.inverse.com/tech/tesla-cybertruck-steel-body-rust-problems

A couple of Cybertruck owners have posted about potential rust-related issues when it comes to the electric truck’s exterior. Raxar, a user on the Cybertruck Owners Club forum, shared images of their Cybertruck following a dish soap wash and driving the EV for two days in the rain. More recently, user vertigo3pc also showed off some images of their Cybertruck with corrosion marks after reportedly driving around in the rain.

Stainless steel retains its anti-corrosion properties because of a chromium oxide layer that forms on the surface.  If this erodes, iron crystals are exposed which can cause the rust marks.

The cause is usually exposure to chlorine compounds, such as road salt or salt spray near the coast. Another problem can be community water supplies which use a stronger than usual chlorination. This is common to  stainless steels, and well-documented including in the Tesla and rest of the world.

The correction is a process called passivation. The area is cleaned and rinsed thoroughly, then the rust marks removed using a Scotch-Brite pad moving with the grain. Next you mix up some citric acid {commercial available} and coat the area, leaving it to sit. Commercially, they use a weak nitric acid. Either will regenerate the chromium oxide layer.

To reduce such instances, go get a clear wrap applied. 

File under lost generational knowledge.  Previous generations knew how to do passivation because stainless steel sinks and other goods are also subject to chromium oxide layer erosion. It's why kitchen sponges have a Scotch-Brite pad.

Edited by DocM

On 16/02/2024 at 12:31, DocM said:

File under lost generational knowledge.  Previous generations knew how to do passivation

You all heard it here first.

It's the younger generation's fault for Elon building a car that rusts.

On 16/02/2024 at 13:17, DeathLace said:

You all heard it here first.

It's the younger generation's fault for Elon building a car that rusts.

Tesla is selling a vehicle that starts rusting immediately. It is probably rusting before people buy them. How many of these people would still buy them, knowing this is happening?

What did Tesla tell its buyers on the care of this vehicle, before purchase, and what are they telling them now?

• Like 2

On 16/02/2024 at 17:31, DocM said:

To reduce such instances, go get a clear wrap applied. 

File under lost generational knowledge.  Previous generations knew how to do passivation because stainless steel sinks and other goods are also subject to chromium oxide layer erosion. It's why kitchen sponges have a Scotch-Brite pad.

So what you're saying is that Musk is unable to figure out how to do something EVERY SINGLE OTHER car maker around the world has been doing for generations? :p  Sounds about right!