Tesla Cybertruck

On 11/01/2024 at 16:24, DocM said:

I've spent a lot of time in the up, which is why I referred him to ask a yooper about snow. You guys have seen a max of 355 in, Montana more like 850.

My whole point was that the standard tire on most Cybertrucks are ATs which are  inadequate for snow over ice (esp. black ice) or deep snow.  

I am a Yooper... we drove any vehicle with bald tires all year round. Didn't matter what the car it was. We had everything from pintos to lamborghinis driving in the middle of winter. The vehicle itself to use do not matter outside of it being a POS that should not drive in any condition.

Knowing the limitations of your vehicle and being in those conditions should not be compared to areas that do not come close to matching. Looking at the videos of the Cyber Truck failing and seeing normal 4x4's operating normally either points to a lack of skill from the driver, or a massive failure by Tesla.

I know you think you are are better than most because you have visited the UP, but being a troll (For those outside of MI, someone that lives under the Mackinac Bridge in the lower peninsula), please do not imply our opinion. While I do not follow all of their beliefs, driving in adverse weather is one thing that only Canadians and very few US based locations may be able to argue with the driving conditions I was raised with.

• Like 2

I mean....

Image_20240111205831.thumb.jpg.2af7fda11642811e962a90e53d08bca5.jpg

...the owner of this Cybertruck gave the build quality an A- (on a Tesla scale, LOL)....but still gushes over it.

More pictures of this particular truck here  (Cybertrucks Owners Club).

On 11/01/2024 at 23:29, Jester124 said:

I am a Yooper... we drove any vehicle with bald tires all year round. Didn't matter what the car it was. We had everything from pintos to lamborghinis driving in the middle of winter. The vehicle itself to use do not matter outside of it being a POS that should not drive in any condition.

Knowing the limitations of your vehicle and being in those conditions should not be compared to areas that do not come close to matching. Looking at the videos of the Cyber Truck failing and seeing normal 4x4's operating normally either points to a lack of skill from the driver, or a massive failure by Tesla.

I know you think you are are better than most because you have visited the UP, but being a troll (For those outside of MI, someone that lives under the Mackinac Bridge in the lower peninsula), please do not imply our opinion. While I do not follow all of their beliefs, driving in adverse weather is one thing that only Canadians and very few US based locations may be able to argue with the driving conditions I was raised with.

As much as I am not a fan of musk and don't particularly care for tesla, if you don't respect the conditions you're going to end up like the guy in the video.

I know this because I've been both the person beating various one-wheel-peel vehicles up the mountain I used to live on all winter as well as the person with AWD stuck in a snowbank. Snow tires make an incredible difference but are useless on ice just like anything else. Studded snows and 4wd are the only way you can be as worry free as possible, but it's still possible to get stuck if you're out when you shouldn't be or if you're not driving in a manner compatible with the conditions.

• Like 2

Haha the new thing is that the cybertruck needs to be cleaned ASAP when it gets dirty due to no clear coat. (It's actually in the owners manual too!)

• Haha 2

On 12/01/2024 at 14:28, Jim K said:

I mean....

Image_20240111205831.thumb.jpg.2af7fda11642811e962a90e53d08bca5.jpg

...the owner of this Cybertruck gave the build quality an A- (on a Tesla scale, LOL)....but still gushes over it.

More pictures of this particular truck here  (Cybertrucks Owners Club).

A- ? Sounds pretty good next to the last Ford we bought (never again). Mainly the guy at the link talks about getting used to the squirkle steering wheel, the cup holder only being for 12 oz, a little noise out of the driveline (it does sound different than other Teslas),  the control button on the steering wheel it probably needs service.

The planar surfaces not lining up like a curved panel would has been discussed in talks about what to expect from the vehicle. 

The average car has about 2 actual problems, Tesla is at about 2.5, and recently it's been going down about .2+ per year.  

• Haha 2

On 12/01/2024 at 14:50, satukoro said:

As much as I am not a fan of musk and don't particularly care for tesla, if you don't respect the conditions you're going to end up like the guy in the video.

I know this because I've been both the person beating various one-wheel-peel vehicles up the mountain I used to live on all winter as well as the person with AWD stuck in a snowbank. Snow tires make an incredible difference but are useless on ice just like anything else. Studded snows and 4wd are the only way you can be as worry free as possible, but it's still possible to get stuck if you're out when you shouldn't be or if you're not driving in a manner compatible with the conditions.

I would add to this that studs do help, but they are not legal in all states because the stunts can, and often do,  damage the road. Tire chains are sometimes legal but usually only when the snow is deep (so they won't contact the road),

Someone driving overly worn tires on a dry road, ice or snow is risking not only their own safety but the safety of others

On 15/01/2024 at 22:16, DocM said:

A- ? Sounds pretty good next to the last Ford we bought (never again). Mainly the guy at the link talks about getting used to the squirkle steering wheel, the cup holder only being for 12 oz, a little noise out of the driveline (it does sound different than other Teslas),  the control button on the steering wheel it probably needs service.

The planar surfaces not lining up like a curved panel would has been discussed in talks about what to expect from the vehicle. 

The average car has about 2 actual problems, Tesla is at about 2.5, and recently it's been going down about .2+ per year.  

Guess you missed the .... A- for a Tesla.  So, probably a C- ?

Of course you would defend such poor quality control...and go "what about....".  Tesla have always had a "panel gap" issue ... and maybe your standards are lower but in no way, with all the eyes looking at it, should that +$100k truck have left the factory looking like that.  Some Tesla QC dude walking around and going, "yup, that's fine!"  A company with such shoddy quality control issues is a company I trust to do drive-by-wire without mechanical backup.  /s

... "sub 10-Micron Accuracy" ... lmao

On 16/01/2024 at 05:07, Jim K said:

... "sub 10-Micron Accuracy" ... lmao

That has nothing to do with panel gaps.

It deals with imperfections in the  surface of a single panel. They've achieved 7 microns, documented on the CT factory tour video by optical scanning. 

Try getting a smooth junction between two boards placed edge 2 edge at an angle, without a miter joint while not creating a sharp edge. Not thick enough for a bull-nose. Now add compound angles.

Edited by DocM
  • Facepalm 1

On 16/01/2024 at 18:10, DocM said:

It deals with imperfections in the  surface of a single panel. They've achieved 7 microns, documented on the CT factory tour video by optical scanning. 

Try getting a smooth junction between two boards placed edge 2 edge at an angle, without a miter joint while not creating a sharp edge. Not thick enough for a bull-nose. Now add compound angles.

If there is a design issue, only Tesla can take blame for that. I can’t believe you are defending a bad design. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 20:32, adrynalyne said:

If there is a design issue, only Tesla can take blame for that. I can’t believe you are defending a bad design. 

They're attempting something on the bleeding edge. They do this a lot. It's also not meant to be a pretty vehicle, it's meant to be a very tough one. That was shared going in.

Over 25% of the structural strength of Cybertruck is due to the planar design and the custom stainless steel. Curved services are not an option with this alloy, it quickly wears out the  presses. 

On 16/01/2024 at 19:10, DocM said:

...sure.  They have also achieved smooth and uniform placement of panels....for a Tesla.  /s

On 16/01/2024 at 19:03, DocM said:

They're attempting something on the bleeding edge. They do this a lot. It's also not meant to be a pretty vehicle, it's meant to be a very tough one. That was shared going in.

Over 25% of the structural strength of Cybertruck is due to the planar design and the custom stainless steel. Curved services are not an option with this alloy, it quickly wears out the  presses. 

Poor panel fitment isn’t bleeding edge, unless referring to sharp corners and esges to cut yourself on. 

• Like 2

On 16/01/2024 at 21:03, DocM said:

Also, this "cutting edge" alloy isn't so cutting edge when it can't even hold up to having road salt on it for more than 24 hours.

On 17/01/2024 at 02:03, DocM said:

Curved services are not an option with this alloy

Then they used the wrong alloy. Their choices massively restrict the shape of the vehicle - something that most car owners are at least attracted to during the selection process.

Whats the deal with you and charlatans? Trump, Musk… I could squeeze my fat ass into a suit and sell you some snake oil. I don’t get it, you’re a likeable, intelligent guy but you sell yourself out for the dudes with the parlour tricks (or trucks).

On 17/01/2024 at 02:29, Dick Montage said:

Then they used the wrong alloy. Their choices massively restrict the shape of the vehicle - something that most car owners are at least attracted to during the selection process.

Whats the deal with you and charlatans? Trump, Musk… I could squeeze my fat ass into a suit and sell you some snake oil. I don’t get it, you’re a likeable, intelligent guy but you sell yourself out for the dudes with the parlour tricks (or trucks).

Exactly. Hammering a square peg into a round hole and making it fit is not bleeding edge like @DocM says; it’s poor material choice and design. 

There is an element of "let's try to move the whole industry forward with groundbreaking ideas" aspect, but getting the consumer to pay for them both financially and with the ridiculous upkeep and trade-offs... Nah!

• Like 3

On 17/01/2024 at 08:09, Dick Montage said:

There is an element of "let's try to move the whole industry forward with groundbreaking ideas" aspect, but getting the consumer to pay for them both financially and with the ridiculous upkeep and trade-offs... Nah!

Moving the industry by brute force is pretty much what Tesla does, and has done since 2008.

This is an interesting review, notes a couple of problems but also notes that many of the operational issues can be fixed by over the air updates. This constant updating is common on Teslas. Twitchy things fixed, new features added etc. Like a cell phone.

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2024 at 07:33, DocM said:

Moving the industry by brute force is pretty much what Tesla does, and has done since 2008.

This is an interesting review, notes a couple of problems but also notes that many of the operational issues can be fixed by over the air updates. This constant updating is common on Teslas. Twitchy things fixed, new features added etc. Like a cell phone.

Maybe they can fix panel fitment over the air. 

• Haha 1

On 17/01/2024 at 09:58, adrynalyne said:

Maybe they can fix panel fitment over the air. 

The same guy should be checking F-150 panel gaps, some of them run 10.5+ mm. Tesla standard is less than 8mm.

• Facepalm 2

On 17/01/2024 at 10:36, DocM said:

The same guy should be checking F-150 panel gaps, some of them run 10.5+ mm. Tesla standard is less than 8mm.

Hold up.  Tesla has a less than 8mm standard?  Are you serious?  

LOL...so much for standards.

On 17/01/2024 at 09:36, DocM said:

What about, what about, what about.

*Sigh*