Keyboard firmware does not install on GL731GV notebook. What to do?

I have bought a brand new gaming Asus laptop - GL731GV.

However, an update to the keyboard firmware does not install.

The message displays: "There are no available keyboard firmware in the update folder".

On Asus forums this message pops-up and, an other model, a motherboard had to be replaced.

I can RMA it to Asus, but it will take 7-14 days to have it repaired/examined.

The keyboard does work. And all RGB lighting as well.

Is this a hardware-thingy? Or "just back luck" on this version of the FW? (and maybe a newer version will install?)

Should I have it repaired? Or just leave it this way? I mean... the firmware update has to be released to fix something (broken).

Or can also other components/connectors/connections be 'screw*d' on the motherboard, and is this FW issue just the beginning of misery?

Sometimes they'll use slightly different models of keyboards across models.  Maybe that particular model doesn't need the update.  Even on our Latitudes here are work, I sometimes have to replace a key and will need to go through several until I find the correct keyboard.  At least they are physically different.  They might still be electronically the same.  I don't know for sure.

If it's working, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Are there no release notes?

• Like 1

Hello,

I would suggest having it repaired while it is still under warranty.  This may be indicative of additional problems with updating the laptop's firmware, and you do not want to have problems with that when it is a more serious issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky