How to bypass Windows10 build version checking?

pufferfish.thumb.png.2c19fd1d732967875de15c8238367076.png

So I got Windows10 build 1607, I wanted to use this app.

However, Windows need minimum requirement which is so annoying

so I manually downloaded offline package .AppxBundle but it won't install, obviously it recheck winnows version 

1670981647_Image64.thumb.png.a7fee85d441861e3f973125c935a6dbe.png

for some reason, this is the most stable windows10 I used, that is why I don't want to upgrade it.

Do anyone know how to skip the version checking?

Not possible. The package was build with a minimum version for a reason and running that old a version of Windows likely does not include assemblies that the app requires.  I think you choice is to upgrade to a newer version of Win 10 or find another app to do what you are looking to do.

4 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Not possible. The package was build with a minimum version for a reason and running that old a version of Windows likely does not include assemblies that the app requires.  I think you choice is to upgrade to a newer version of Win 10 or find another app to do what you are looking to do.

similar to adobe installer, it is so annoying they check for minimum windows build. I saw people bypass it before but I wanted a permanent solution.

Because I am curious how those app check the windows built? Registry?

• Facepalm 1

As explained above, those checks are there for a reason, even if you bypass them you will face more problems later. Just upgrade, it is free, and no, the version you are running is not better than recent versions.

1607 is quite old now and support should be expiring soon if not already. Have you tried newer builds? 1909 is quite stable and has a few nice quality of life improvements since then too. You could always install to another partition or another drive to test out to see if it's stable enough for your needs so you don't disturb your current install.

I'm running 2004 Release Preview on my tower at home and it also seems perfectly stable to me just for the record 🙂

28 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'm running 2004 Release Preview on my tower at home and it also seems perfectly stable to me just for the record 🙂

My word, I hate their numbering system. I spent a brief moment thinking, "what?! Was Windows 10 even a concept in 2004?!"

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

My word, I hate their numbering system. I spent a brief moment thinking, "what?! Was Windows 10 even a concept in 2004?!"

haha yeah, at least it follows a pattern now though (YYMM) instead of the random string that is the build number like we had in the past.

OP, even if you bypassed the check, it wouldn't run. Paint 3D was created for Windows 10 ver. 1703 and requires assemblies from that version to work. 

16 hours ago, meowtresting said:

by stable it means no bsod, optimised usage of ram, less or never crashed of app. No disturbing ads, no suspicious extra background tasks. I wish there's a new poll from this forum like this one https://malwaretips.com/threads/which-is-the-most-stable-windows-10-version.91210/

Don't you get fed up with cumulative updates taking an age to install on 1607? They still haven't really fixed that yet.

Anyway yeah there's no way that Paint3D will run on 1607. Although 1607 was a huge step forward from 1511 on UWP apps, I can't recall exactly but there were some fairly large API changes in 1703 which made it the lowest supported version for many apps, even to this day.

That being said, I've never experienced any non-hardware related BSODs on any version of Windows NT, including any Windows 10 build

No issues with app responsiveness here. Since 1607 was released I haven't come across any build which was better or worse than others.

I have no disturbing ads anywhere on here and I'm on 2004, please elaborate

No suspicious background tasks here

Interesting poll though not enough responses and all anecdotal. 1607 and 1809 will have had more issues fixed over time purely by virtue of them being both the Server & LTSC releases.

Edited by Vince800

I have no idea what do u mean  by cumulative updates . When I google I saw insider preview of paint 3d can be actually installed in older windows 10, but unfortunately the author deleted the link. I can't test it

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

I have no idea what do u mean  by cumulative updates . When I google I saw insider preview of paint 3d can be actually installed in older windows 10, but unfortunately the author deleted the link. I can't test it

umm ... you know the updates you get (or got) every month?

Look, you have two choices

1. Upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10 that is compatible with Paint 3D
  2. Find another tool 

That's it.  You don't have to like those choices but they are what they are.

• Like 2

And I am paranoid windows10 collect data. My sole intention is not just for the paint 3d, I wanted to see smone able to bypass it as well.

I only have limited 8gb of ram, currently this built of windows is using 3.5gb of ram. 

If you can provide me detail of new version of windows 10 use that less and well, that is what I call convincing,

That is really non constructive way to reply smone, other people already mentioned it above what you have said. you are just repeating again.

Easy for u to say that I can also say it too, you have 2 choice:

1. don't post at any forum for a discussion

2. just google for the answer

What I want is a deep insight of sm reverse engineering, but not expecting smone to ask me used other tool.

Don't give me a guess, give me a concrete answer, like paint3d use this this api, this this library.

If my intention is that simple I won't come here already. Also please stop asking me using new windows, I have tons of important file at my pc, backup and upgrade is not my option now because it's not a good time to get a hard disk for my current condition.

https://www.windowscentral.com/get-new-microsoft-paint-app-windows10

for those who want to check

Edited by meowtresting
  • Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

And I am paranoid windows10 collect data.

Don’t use Windows. MS has been collecting telemetry well before Windows 10. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vince800 said:

Don't you get fed up with cumulative updates taking an age to install on 1607? They still haven't really fixed that yet.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

umm ... you know the updates you get (or got) every month?

I don't think he has that problem, 1607 was EOL ages ago.

35 minutes ago, meowtresting said:

my sole intention is not just for the paint 3d, I wanted to see smone able to bypass it as well.

Easy for u to say that I can also say it too, you have 2 choice:

1. don't post at any forum for a discussion

2. just google for the answer

What I want is a deep insight of sm reverse engineering, but not expecting smone to ask me used other tool.

If my intention is that simple I won't come here already. Also please stop asking me using new windows, I have tons of important file at my pc, backup and upgrade is not my option now because it's not a good time to get a hard disk for my current condition.

Even if you sideloaded the app it's highly unlikely it would work, they don't generally just put OS limitations on an application for kicks, it's highly likely the required libraries/APIs just aren't there in older versions or at the very least, renamed, we all know how Microsoft loves to rename things.

Is it impossible? I couldn't say, maybe 1607 has the necessary libraries to function 99%, but your search to see if someone was able to bypass it previously requires a few things.

Someone interested in this subject with the motivation and intent to look into it, and then this person would need to be inclined to discuss their achievements or lack thereof in an online forum.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say 99.99% of the people on Neowin will just say, well update to the latest version(me included), the other 00.50% are probably still on Windows 7, that doesn't leave many people left past the first hurdle.

Maybe you're going to be that person who figures it out.

In summary, why did I reply to this? I don't know, maybe look more into Sideloading apps and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: And I should note Appx bundles are encrypted, so it's very unlikely you'll be able to modify that, you could modify Windows itself to report as a different version, but then you may cause the very thing you're worried will happen if you update Windows.

I managed to find old package just thanks goodness smone uploaded it. After digging around, I have installed it now.

timeequal.thumb.png.730ec8f757697f71298462c6ebec0059.png

Just a bad excuse to set limit requirement. I'd say the real intention is Microsoft just wanted u to use latest windows 10.

I see how far I can go, but not sure there are other available version provided around the net

ok, so I ran some checking, this is what I call concrete answer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_3D#History

"The Universal Windows Platform version" "Windows 10 users with a build number of 14800 or higher "

Edited by meowtresting
  • Facepalm 2

Well good to see you got it installed. That makes you pretty much the only person using it. Got to say, you must really have needed that awfully bad (although I have no idea what your fascination is with it). Hope the copy you side loaded isnt riddled with malware.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meowtresting said:

I managed to find old package just thanks goodness smone uploaded it. After digging around, I have installed it now.

Just a bad excuse to set limit requirement. I'd say the real intention is Microsoft just wanted u to use latest windows 10.

I see how far I can go, but not sure there are other available version provided around the net

"The Universal Windows Platform version" "Windows 10 users with a build number of 14800 or higher "

You really don't understand how software development works do you? 

Lets say API A was added to a future windows release and wasn't backported because of say compatibility issues? Now lets say you want to try and bypass an API check, well the app's not going to function as intended now as you bypassed an essential API, who are you going to ultimately blame? The OS vendor or the App Developer? (I'll give you a hint, it's usually the app developer)

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

You really don't understand how software development works do you? 

Lets say API A was added to a future windows release and wasn't backported because of say compatibility issues? Now lets say you want to try and bypass an API check, well the app's not going to function as intended now as you bypassed an essential API, who are you going to ultimately blame? The OS vendor or the App Developer? (I'll give you a hint, it's usually the app developer)

you really don't understand what I ask for earlier do you? I said I want the specific name not just telling me change of api

• Facepalm 3

Hello,

Windows 10 Version 2004 (earlier referred to 20H1) is expected to be out soon.  When it becomes available, I would suggest that you use the Windows 10 Media installation Tool to make a bootable USB flash drive--or DVD±R DL disc, if you prefer--out of it and perform a clean install of it to the computer, wiping the drive first before installation so Windows 10 has a blank drive to install to.  Instructions for that can be found in this earlier message on the forum.

Once Windows 10 is installed, let is install any device driver or other post-installation updates that are required.  Then go ahead, and install Paint 3D onto the computer and see how it performs.  My suspicion is that it will perform adequately (you did not mention the specs for your computer besides it having 8GB of RAM, so it's hard to tell for certain, but on a modern, recent computer with 8GB of RAM it should indeed perform quite well).

Now start re-installing the remainder of your applications and getting them updated and configured as you like them, and then restore your data from whatever backups you have made of it.

Do not install any third-party system tweaking/performance/cleaning/etc. tools.  Windows 10 performs these functions automatically, and there is no need to install any third-party software to do this for you.  Most of these programs have no benefit, and make changes that actually degrade the overall performance, reliability and stability of your system.

Likewise, do not run any scripts or tools that claim to disable Windows telemetry, "debloat" Windows 10 or claim to perform similar such activities.  All that they do is break Windows in various ways that cause Win32 programs to crash, updates to fail, UWP programs (apps) to fail, etc.  Microsoft, like Apple and Google, collect telemetry in their operating system about how it performs, and this information is anonymized so Microsoft doesn't have any PII about its customers from the data.  What they are mainly looking for is problems in the operating system, drivers or software that cause crashes, so they can fix those if in Microsoft's code, or work with the developers of those programs to help fix in theirs.  That's pretty much about it.  Of course, during Windows 10's installation, you can choose to opt-out or reduce the amount of telemetry being sent, and that's fine, you can go ahead and select those options--disabling there isn't going to do anything to affect Windows stability like the aforementioned tools do.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, meowtresting said:

you really don't understand what I ask for earlier do you? I said I want the specific name not just telling me change of api

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/updates-and-versions/choose-a-uwp-version

6 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

23 hours ago, meowtresting said:

I know about UWP please stop repeating the earlier comment people already discussed. At least go through the comments first. I mentioned UWP way earlier before u participate the discussion.  Look at the default title, now I only wanted to see an elite change the build version of Windows. Stop focusing on this app

• Facepalm 1

We are telling you it wouldn't make a damn ounce of difference, it's not possible to change it.

9 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

We are telling you it wouldn't make a damn ounce of difference, it's not possible to change it.

said by someone who is not specialty in reverse engineering field. Which part do you not understand about "Stop focusing on this app"? 

Why do you care why I want to change it? I just want to change the build number to feel good, get it?

I understand you don't have the same urge as my intention thus you don't have this interest so stop bashing at a topic like this

• Facepalm 1