How do I use the DISM command with a downloaded ISO of Win10?

I have been having lots of odd issues with Windows lately and when I run DISM and SFC it finds issues, but can not fix them. I have downloaded the latest ISO from Microsoft for Win10, but when I tell DISM to look at the downloaded image, it says unable to access the image. I use the command dism /image:d:\Win10_enUS_x64_v2004_Aug2020_Untouched.iso /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

I've not used the DISM command too many times, but someone may correct me if I am wrong.

I don't recognize that command you're giving it. The /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup switch is for DISM to make corrections to the image itself.

However, if you're trying to correct file corruption issues that Scannow won't... take a look at this page:

https://www.ghacks.net/use-dism-to-fix-issues-sfc-cant/

• Thanks 1

OK, here is the what exactly is displaying:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:H:\Sources\Install.esd:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.1

Image Version: 10.0.19041.1

[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

49 minutes ago, ozzy76 said:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:D:\sources\install.wim /limitaccess

worked for me from my own source.

I do not have a install.wim, only an install.esd, and this is from an image just made 2 days ago to a flash drive.

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was using the wrong index number for the version of Windows that I have installed, I successfully restored the image, and am now re-running SFC

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:K:\Sources\Install.wim:6 /limitaccess

it turned out that the media creation tool did not create an install.wim, but using the mounted ISO, install.wim does exist.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I do not have a install.wim, only an install.esd, and this is from an image just made 2 days ago to a flash drive.

Edit: I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was using the wrong index number for the version of Windows that I have installed, I successfully restored the image, and am now re-running SFC

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:K:\Sources\Install.wim:6 /limitaccess

it turned out that the media creation tool did not create an install.wim, but using the mounted ISO, install.wim does exist.

Glad you got that worked out.

I looked up the DISM error code you posted, and to sum it up.. it mentioned that the wrong image is being used to fix a newer version of the OS. I also see the 19041.1 listed, and that's the first version.. and it was trying to use that to repair a later version, thus missing files and producing that error.

Like trying to use a Windows 7 disk to repair a Windows 7 SP1 install. 

Now.. you can create a bootable Windows disk from ESD.. and use that to repair (if you still use an optical drive).. or create a bootable USB drive from those files. Just an extra tool in the arsenal. 

:)

• Thanks 1