AutoPatcher XP Poll

Do you think AutoPatcher XP is bloated?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think AutoPatcher XP is bloated?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't care

I've ran a comparison of Ap and manually installing the updates. From my testing, if you have a broadband connection then the manual updates don't take any longer and in some cases less time than using the ap cd. That goes for the reboots in between downloads. If on the other hand, you don't have a broadband connection then ap is the way to go. OR if you want to just "set it and forget it" then ap is also the way to go

Actually, if you tell it to "Not Keep Backups" the whole AutoPatcher process is MUCH faster!

actually... as flishy has tested, windows update is faster than a normal installation of AutoPatcher because some files are not backed up... If you disable backups on AutoPatcher, the whole thing will go much faster than windows update, and of course, much faster than manual updating...

/Raptor

please don't take anything out of the autopatcher! you won't see me complaining until it outgrows a cd :)

it is so incredibly convenient to have all the patches and updates rolled into one program, and the tweaks and extras that are in there are darned nice to have...well worth the 200+ MB download ;)

please don't take anything out of the autopatcher! you won't see me complaining until it outgrows a cd

even if it outgrows a cd, ill go buy a dvd-RW cuz autopatcher is just that good :D

well pretty soon (around summer) autopatcher will go back to a few MB whole package... when SP2 is released all those hotfixes will be dumped. Same goes for any addons SP2 will feature... i.e if WMP9/WMM2/.NET Framework is included in SP2, we will remove it :)

/Raptor

Ok, here is an idea... You know that EViL :devil: Software Kazaa. Well it distributes itself in a tiny package and then remotly downloads items from the internet.

The Critical Patches and optional patches on Autopatcher are what I and many like me need, the bloat of the general package (while not in any way useless) is just unneeded by so many of us.

NB The Reg Tweaks are also Awsome!!

Here is an idea...

For Certain packages:

.NET + Updates (FAT)

IE Spy AD (If your on the net so much as to need it... it can be downloaded via setup)

Sun JAVA (As Above)

IE Spell Checker (As Above)

MSN Plus (As Above)

MSN Messenger (As Above)

Windows Messenger (As Above)

Bliss Screensaver/wallpaper & American Flag SS (Un-needed + can be downloaded)

These can be replaced by a small Download file which contains locations and mirrors of up-to-date files and the setup program downloads from those locations if those files are needed

Plus if you need the whole package there is always the CD!

Just my ?.02

EDIT: SP2 BETA1 Contains DX9b & WMP9... No WMM2 Yet! I don't think .Net is included either

I find it hard to believe that .net framework will not be included in sp2. Of course what do I know.

Looking forward to APXP Feb Ed. I was going to reformat after Jan but now Im going to download the full Feb package and get my mojo on.

.NET + Updates (FAT)

IE Spy AD (If your on the net so much as to need it... it can be downloaded via setup)

Sun JAVA (As Above)

IE Spell Checker (As Above)

MSN Plus (As Above)

MSN Messenger (As Above)

Windows Messenger (As Above)

Bliss Screensaver/wallpaper & American Flag SS (Un-needed + can be downloaded)

These can be replaced by a small Download file which contains locations and mirrors of up-to-date files and the setup program downloads from those locations if those files are needed

Plus if you need the whole package there is always the CD!

Just my ?.02

EDIT: SP2 BETA1 Contains DX9b & WMP9... No WMM2 Yet! I don't think .Net is included either

Does AP use the FULL installer for .NET Framework?

FYI pay attention: you can shrink the installer to 16MB.

You can go to << spam >> <-:pp to find out

IE-SPYAD shouldn't be added. Going against my word :wacko::

Updated too quickly and it's growing ... almost exponentially :no::

IE Spell check? MSN plus? WTF ARE THOSE?

Windows Messenger is an OS update so it should be left in tharrr

Those screensavers and wallpapers need to go

Heh, we can probably cut down to 210MB on the Feb release :pinch:: :whistle:: :cool::

Of course if you are burning copies on CD add all the stuff you want. 2 disc edition!:woot::

OptiPlex, the cut-down version of the .NET framework installer was having strange problems, so we went back to the full thing... never had any problems since....

elliot, Microsoft Powertoys *are* the ones you see in AutoPatcher... it's just that Microsoft has discontinued some of them...

/Raptor

OptiPlex, the cut-down version of the .NET framework installer was having strange problems, so we went back to the full thing... never had any problems since....

elliot, Microsoft Powertoys *are* the ones you see in AutoPatcher... it's just that Microsoft has discontinued some of them...

/Raptor

Yeah I know about that, but this time all you do is take NETFX1.CAB and NETFX.MSI file, and put it into a SFX package by using IEXPRESS.

The command for install should be MSIEXEC.EXE /QB /I NETFX.MSI (but not 100% sure)

My installer is about 16MB. This shouldn't be a problem also because the issue was with trying to run the installer on the CD and the installer needs write access to itself :blink:

Yeah I know about that, but this time all you do is take NETFX1.CAB and NETFX.MSI file, and put it into a SFX package by using IEXPRESS.

The command for install should be MSIEXEC.EXE /QB /I NETFX.MSI (but not 100% sure)

My installer is about 16MB. This shouldn't be a problem also because the issue was with trying to run the installer on the CD and the installer needs write access to itself :blink:

There were just way too many issues with it, man. I'd like to go back to how it was, but it just works much better this way.

well pretty soon (around summer) autopatcher will go back to a few MB whole package... when SP2 is released all those hotfixes will be dumped. Same goes for any addons SP2 will feature... i.e if WMP9/WMM2/.NET Framework is included in SP2, we will remove it :)

/Raptor

all updates for hotfixes for SP2

IE updates

OE updates

DX9b

WMP9

these are all included in SP2

NOT Windows Movie maker 2 or .net framework 1.1

i have numerous problems with it. Mainly not installing patches or half of the things i asked it too. I dont know weather its because it is taylored to xp home or what but unfortunetly for the guys who created it im not impressed.

Although i must say the whole idea/concept is great. The installer is nice, the options are great. I just wish it would actually do what you asked it to do. i.e install messanger and windows media player. not to mention ms updats from march 2003

I just gave AutoPatcher a first try this morning, and I'd have to say that I am very impressed with it. Sure it does everything that Windows Update does, but all of the little programs and tweaks that it applies automatically is just incredible. Good job guys :)

Edited by matt74441

i have numerous problems with it. Mainly not installing patches or half of the things i asked it too. I dont know weather its because it is taylored to xp home or what but unfortunetly for the guys who created it im not impressed.

CubanPete ..... Just wondering, if u got the Jan. version, do u have the patch? cuz i had the same problem, until i got the patch

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=135553

good luck

ps. I think autopatcher is the best thing since sliced bread :p