Mesh Wi-Fi System; TP-Link Deco M4 or something else?

Via my ISP I can - affordably - get the TP-Link Deco M4 (3-pack).

I have some questions:

- is it wise to have this TP-set with my Asus RT-AC86U router, and is it compatible?
Or can I better get an Asus AiMesh set instead of this one?

- Does each TP-Link Deco/seperate (access)device have to be connected wired? (or just for the set-up, and than unplug it)? Or can this be used wirelessly in several spots in my house (with less WiFi-coverage)? This latter one, is more preferable...

EDIT:

- and do you have to create a new WiFi-network for this Mesh, or can I use my current WiFi-network names (for 2.4 & 5 Ghz)?

Edited by kiddingguy
new wifi for mesh?

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys have experiences with two different brands - Asus and TP-Link - in building a Mesh network?
And does it work? Is it advisable? Or can I better stick with 1 brand?

Unless you are using a brand-neutral system (such as pfSense), a single-brand mesh system makes more sense.  I am looking at the Amazon eero mesh system because - like pfSense - it is expandable.  It can even be done relatively cheaply if you use your brain in terms of your needs.

i am using Deco M5, and it's been flawless so far. Strong 5GHz connection across my whole house, two stories with complete coverage. The three units work flawlessly and I get the full 250 Mbps provided by my ISP.

However, the units are connect to each other through Ethernet, if they connect to each other via Wifi I believe performance is not as strong according to the reviews I've seen.

EDIT: I turned off Wifi from the router, and use the Mesh network exclusively, which I believe it is the recommended approach.

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2021 at 10:44, Cask1 said:

i am using Deco M5, and it's been flawless so far. Strong 5GHz connection across my whole house, two stories with complete coverage. The three units work flawlessly and I get the full 250 Mbps provided by my ISP.

However, the units are connect to each other through Ethernet, if they connect to each other via Wifi I believe performance is not as strong according to the reviews I've seen.

EDIT: I turned off Wifi from the router, and use the Mesh network exclusively, which I believe it is the recommended approach.

More and more mesh systems are designed to replace a standalone wireless router - and this is decidedly true of WiFi6 mesh (Amazon eero and Netgear Orbi are making it easy as heck, in fact - in my case, I am looking at the Netgear Orbi Wifi6 two-piece - which will succeed a Nighthawk AC1750 - also Netgear).  I have not looked at the Orbi app yet - but I will to compare it to the Nighthawk app I am used to.