What was the last movie you watched? (2021 edition)

I watched the new Benedict Cumberbatch  movie about spying in Russia during the cold war - THE COURIER -   I quite liked it, maybe even more then Nobody to be honest.    Cumberbatch did a great job!   8/10 

Watched MORTAL KOOOOOMBATTTTT and Nobody. If you have the choice between the two, watch Nobody... great movie!

MORTAL KOOOOOMBATTTTT - 2 out of 5 - Started off good,  the just fell of a cliff. Almost as if the first 10 mins had a different director.

Nobody - 4 out of 5 - I watched it with a smile on my face almost the entire time.

I did not like Lord Raiden - bad acting and I also did not like the main character - not acting per se,  but just did not want to see some random new person...

Nobody was pretty good, not amazing but good, I like the main actor a lot, if it was not him, i doubt I would enjoy the movie. 

19 minutes ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I did not like Lord Raiden - bad acting and I also did not like the main character - not acting per se,  but just did not want to see some random new person...

Nobody was pretty good, not amazing but good, I like the main actor a lot, if it was not him, i doubt I would enjoy the movie. 

Did you know that Raiden is the Japanese God of Thunder, 雷電様? (That's why I guessed the original game behind the movie must have been Japanese.)

But in way, this film broke a bad streak: Recently, every black American soldier-type character I saw on screen was called Briggs! Fortunately, this one was called Jacks. (Although, I'm pretty sure one you guys are gonna reply "His father was Briggs.")

Edited by Fleet Command

2 hours ago, Fleet Command said:

Did you know that Raiden is the Japanese God of Thunder, 雷電様? (That's why I guessed the original game behind the movie must have been Japanese.)

But in way, this film broke a bad streak: Recently, every black American soldier-type character I saw on screen was called Briggs! Fortunately, this one was called Jacks. (Although, I'm pretty sure one you guys are gonna reply "His father was Briggs.")

I hope you are pulling our leg...

Jax is just a nickname, the real name is Jackson Briggs.  Hahaha! Of course his father was also Briggs.

• Haha 1

Watched You've Got Mail (1998). It's solid 8/10.

Next up on the list are My Fair Lady (1964) and Kagemusha (1980). Both are digitally remastered editions.

7 hours ago, Fleet Command said:

Recently, every black American soldier-type character I saw on screen was called Briggs! Fortunately, this one was called Jacks.

Lol, clever.

7 hours ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

I watched the new Benedict Cumberbatch  movie about spying in Russia during the cold war - THE COURIER -   I quite liked it, maybe even more then Nobody to be honest.    Cumberbatch did a great job!   8/10 

I saw that movie, Good Movie, Based on a True Story about Cuban Missile Crisis.  Benedict Cumberbatch portrayed the Greville Wynne quite well.

The last movie I saw was with Anthony Hopkins "The Virtuoso"  (I give it an 8/10)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4136456/

• Like 1

The father

Very good!  Hopkins is great, no wonder he got an Oscar for that performance!

It is very very realistic and very very powerful - though very sad too,  and scary portrait of dementia.

Just wow!  Not for everyone.

On 28/04/2021 at 01:45, E.Worm Jimmy said:

The Father

I'm looking forward to watching this, I've heard some great things about it.

I watched Mortal Kombat last night. It was alright, I guess. They got the level of blood up there, but the plot was so-so. With that said, I don't know what I expected. I want to rewatch the short that was made a few years back, I think that had me really interested in a feature-length production.

I watched Stowaway over lunch. Given the poor reviews, I don't think it was that bad. There just wasn't enough between the characters to make it a Sophie's Choice moment though:

Spoiler

They ruled out throwing someone overboard when it was an option, at the end the commander was wounded and the Stowaway couldn't climb, and it was mentioned that the botanist had a wife at home. There was no mention of any family ties for Anna Kendrick's character. She put herself forward and I thought, "eh, makes sense."

Tenet and I'm so confused lol. I think I got the gist of it but I just couldn't wrap my head around what was happening in the action scenes. I think I need to watch a 2nd time.

yea, i seen Tenet 3 times now and whilst its good, its still baffling and I'm sure some of the inversion stuff doesn't make sense...

watched Nobody the other day, not as good as I thought it was gonna be, but might change my mind when I watch it again

Without Remorse, which was ok...

Might watch Palm Springs on Amazon later, a "Groundhog day" type film, looks interesting.

Without remorse, it was good as a action flick, they could've went with more mystery in the plot but it actually felt like it was a the start of a planned movie series. 

On 03/05/2021 at 09:04, George P said:

Without remorse, it was good as a action flick, they could've went with more mystery in the plot but it actually felt like it was a the start of a planned movie series. 

There's a mid-credit scene that's supposed to set up Rainbow Six. That would make sense, given that John Clark is the founder of the organization.

I don't know if I'm going to watch Without Remorse. Apparently it's not the novel, and for me Liev Schreiber is exactly how I pictured John Clark, even before watching The Sum of All Fears. But who knows, I'll probably give it a go in a day or so. :laugh:

I watched Nobody yesterday. I see what people were saying about the John Wick feel. Basically a man brought out of retirement who goes up against the mob. And while I like Bob Odenkirk, John Wick was better in my opinion.

I've just finished watching The Lighthouse. A decent film, although I don't know what I expected. Robert Pattinson alone in a lighthouse with Willem Dafoe, of course it was going to be a descent into madness...

7NnrN3Q.gif

Yeah I saw the mid credit scene so we'll see how it goes and if Amazon wants to go all in on a connected Tom Clancy movie/TV series world. 

They do have 2 seasons of Jack Ryan with a 3rd on the way, don't know when though.  If they can give me some live action Splinter Cell I'm all for it. 

32 minutes ago, NinjaGinger said:

The Mitchells vs The Machines. A good giggle factor

Yeah it was alright :) 

Wonder Women 84. Not as good as the first.

Although, I would watch a 2 hour flik with Gal Gadot simply, sitting in a chair. 

3 hours ago, xrobwx71 said:

Wonder Women 84. Not as good as the first.

Although, I would watch a 2 hour flik with Gal Gadot simply, sitting in a chair. 

Oh, Deja Vu! I think I've read such a message in this thread already. And it still sounds as strange as the last time.

This actor's name reminds me of Waiting for Godot, a play back Samuel Beckett. The eponymous character of the play, Godot, never showed up. Still, the other characters were (like you) content to wait for Godot anyway, come hell or high water.

8 hours ago, NinjaGinger said:

The Mitchells vs The Machines. A good giggle factor

It was pretty good - good light weekend watching, I enjoyed it more then I though i would to be honest

On 11/05/2021 at 05:17, hellowalkman said:

watched Tenet. nowhere as bad as some people say.

watched Mortal Kombat. nowhere as bad as some people say.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like to dive into some documentaries from time to time, Sons of Sam from Netflix was very interesting.

Plan to watch one of my top ten movies later today...for about the 20th time. 😎 The Alamo from 1960, absolutely love it!