Question about PoE

I am looking at some security cameras that work via PoE, and I am wondering how stable is/how well does PoE  work? I know you have to use special cabling and switches to get the PoE, but other than that is there any thing else that would be good or bad overall?

Yeah, it's not a headache, It's just providing power to devices that run off your router/switch PoE ports.

59 minutes ago, tmorris1 said:

It works great and there is no special cabling needed.  Just use standard high quality ethernet cables.  You just need a POE switch or a POE injector to provide power to the device.

Thanks for clearing that up, I really didn't mean cabling, I meant switches.

46 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, it's not a headache, It's just providing power to devices that run off your router/switch PoE ports.

So the only real issue is the logistics of running the cable to the device, which in my case could provide rather challenging.

On 10/02/2021 at 18:25, jnelsoninjax said:

which in my case could provide rather challenging.

Well how were you going to get their video?  If they were wifi camera's you would need power.  Most camera's locations are not really near power outlets..

While there are some battery options, And even solar panels to charge battery external camera's etc.

Poe is by far the simplest and best solution for cameras - you have a great stable fast connection while also providing power for the device.  You also have the ease of simple way to remove power for a reboot of the device.  And normally if using a switch for poe a way to monitor their power consumption.

Keep in mind there are multiple poe standards, so make sure whatever switch your going to use works with what your camera needs be it 802.3af, at, bt (type 3 or 4) you may also see these as poe, poe+, poe++ There are also passive type camera's at 24 or 48v

So you need to make sure the switch and camera are compatible and the switch can provide the amount of watts you will need, especially if you plan on connecting multiple cameras

From a networking point of view keep in mind that downstreaming a poe switch off your core switch can lead to bandwidth constraints where you have multiple cameras having to share the 1 gig uplink from the poe switch to your network.  This is where injectors can be handy.. When there is only a couple of devices its normally easier and cheaper to just use injectors..  Vs going with a poe switch

• 3 weeks later...

reolink 510A

• Facepalm 1