The console wars grand finale: Xbox 360 versus Xbox One versus Nintendo 3DS

The console wars grand finale: Xbox 360 versus Xbox One versus Nintendo 3DS
by João Carrasqueira

Console wars grand finale written with Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Nintendo 3DS images

Welcome to the final round of the console wars. For the past month, we've asked you to choose your favorite consoles in a series of polls, and your votes have brought us to the grand finale. Of course, that means it's up to you again to choose the true winner.

First, let's recap what happened in round two. The first matchup saw the Xbox 360 pulling an undisputed victory with nearly 50% of the votes. In second place, the PlayStation 2 won over just 24% of the voters, giving the Xbox 360 a crushing win. An interesting result, to be sure, considering the PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all time.

The second match pitted the original PlayStation, the Nintendo 64, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch against each other, and once again, Microsoft pulled a convincing. The battle was a bit more balanced here, but the Xbox One still got over 34% of the votes, with the Nintendo Switch slightly edging out the PlayStation for second place with roughly 27% of you choosing it.

Finally, the third match was focused on handhelds, and all of them were made by Nintendo, so there was only one possible winner. More specifically, victory went to the Nintendo 3DS, with roughly 34% of our readers voting for it. In second place, the Game Boy Advance had about 26% of the votes, and it's certainly interesting that sales numbers don't correlate to the poll winners at all in any of these matchups.

With that being said, we now have the three finalists - the Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS. You can vote for them right now, but since we're down to the final three, we'll also introduce you to each of the contestants below the poll.

Poll

What is the best console of all time?

1. Xbox 360
    45.3%
  2. Xbox One
    28.4%
  3. Nintendo 3DS
    26.4%
Results (201 Votes)

Meet the contestants

Xbox 360

The Xbox 360 was Microsoft's second foray into the world of game consoles, following a relatively lukewarm reception to the original Xbox. Microsoft kickstarted the seventh-generation of consoles, having announced the Xbox 360 in May of 2005, and releasing it in North America, Europe, and Japan later that year. As such, it was the first console to feature HD graphics and it also ushered in the era of online gaming with Xbox Live, though the service was already available to some extent on the original Xbox.

The original Xbox 360 Premium, Xbox 360 S, and Xbox 360 E Original Xbox 360 "Premium", Xbox 360 S, and Xbox 360 E The Xbox 360 also introduced a new controller that worked wirelessly and had a significantly improved design that not only negated the criticism towards the original, but actually became one of the most praised controllers for its comfort. The console itself got redesigned a number of times throughout its life, adding more storage, connectivity options, and addressing some reliability issues like the infamous "Red Ring of Death". The most recognizable revision was the Xbox 360 S, launched in 2010, but it also got redesigned to look more like the Xbox One with the Xbox 360 E model in 2012.

By this point, Microsoft had started to gain recognition for its online service, and it had a hugely popular franchise in the form of Halo, with other franchises like Forza Motorsport and Fable having also started to grow. Between that and other well-known exclusive games like Gears of War, the Xbox 360 had a strong library early on. Combine that with stronger third-party support, an earlier launch than the competition, and a more attractive price than the PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360 led in terms of sales for a long time, barring the casual-focused Wii.

Kinect camera for the Xbox 360 Kinect for Xbox 360 However, towards the end of the Xbox 360's life, the company shifted its focus towards the Kinect - a motion-sensing camera - trying to lure the casual audience away from Nintendo. Meanwhile, Sony had introduced cheaper versions of the PlayStation 3 and kept investing in games like The Last of Us and the Uncharted series later on. As such, the Xbox 360 ended in third place in its generation, having sold over 84 million units. Still, it's Microsoft's best-selling console officially.

Xbox One

The Xbox One was first revealed in May of 2013, and its initial reception was completely opposite from the Xbox 360's early days. Microsoft initially wanted to require a constant internet connection, make reselling games impossible, require the use of Kinect, and the first presentation of the console focused much more on media and television than gaming. Microsoft did try to focus more on games at E3, but then it had to contend with Sony. The PlayStation 4 was revealed to be cheaper than the Xbox One, confirmed support for used games, and focused even more on the gaming crowd, which meant Microsoft was off to a very slow start. The first model of the Xbox One was also mocked for being bulky and looking somewhat bland.

Initial Xbox One model with Kinect But Microsoft put a ton of effort into turning things around as the generation went on. The Kinect was eventually removed from the Xbox One package (and ended up being killed off entirely for gaming purposes), and Microsoft introduced two redesigns that made the Xbox One much more appealing. The Xbox One S, announced in 2016, made the console much smaller and gave it an all-new visual identity, along with adding support for HDR and 4K. This also brought an improved Xbox Wireless Controller, now with Bluetooth support, which allowed it to work on PCs and mobile devices easily. Then, in 2017, Xbox One X became the world's most powerful console, with support for native 4K rendering, all while being even smaller than the One S.

A white Xbox One S A black Xbox One X
Microsoft also started focusing on games again, and capitalized on its incredibly popular Halo franchise by releasing The Master Chief Collection in 2014, containing almost every game in the series' history so far, with the first two being remade to look the part on Xbox One. Microsoft also finally put its acquisition of Rare to good use with the release of Rare Replay, a collection of almost every Rare-developed game from the 30 years prior, including cult classics like Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Kazooie. And of course, that's to say nothing of big new games that came out in the next few years from series like Halo, Gears of War, Forza (including the open-world Forza Horizon sub-series), and new franchises entirely like Sea of Thieves and Ori. On top of that, backward compatibility, which was initially missing, would be added later on for both Xbox 360 and some original Xbox games.

Microsoft stopped reporting sales of its Xbox consoles in October 2015, but estimates point to it having sold 51 million units as of the end of the second quarter of 2020. Far from a failure, the Xbox One ended up in a distant second place from the PlayStation 4, and has also been surpassed by the Nintendo Switch, but it stands as a testament to the mistakes Microsoft made and the lessons it learned in this era.

Nintendo 3DS

We already talked about the entire history of the Nintendo 3DS just a few months ago, in honor of the console being discontinued in 2020. You can always read more there, but here's a quick summary. The Nintendo 3DS was first announced via a simple press release in March 2010 and then shown off at E3 that year, but it wouldn't release until March 2011.

An Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS Its headlining feature was support for glasses-free 3D, which required the user to look at the screen from a very specific angle and distance. It also featured higher-resolution displays, better graphics, and new control methods like a Circle Pad and motion sensors, compared to its predecessor. However, the console initially failed to gain traction thanks to its high price point and lack of blockbuster titles in the first few months.

Nintendo was determined to turn things around, though, and reduced the price from $250 to $170 just a few months later, and with big original games like Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 releasing that holiday season, the 3DS began to exhibit a decent amount of success. It eventually got original games from series like The Legend of Zelda and Pokémon, revived franchises like Luigi's Mansion and Kid Icarus, and expanded the popularity of Animal Crossing, which no doubt contributed to the worldwide phenomenon that was Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the Nintendo Switch many years later. Even some third-party exclusives, like the Monster Hunter series and Resident Evil: Revelations (which was only exclusive for about a year), were released for the system.

A New Nintendo 3DS XL The Nintendo 3DS received a handful of revisions, including the 3DS XL with bigger screens, and the 2DS, which removed 3D functionality and was more affordable. All models got revised with the "New" branding later on (2015 for the New 3DS and New 3DS XL; 2017 for the New 2DS XL), bringing even more control options, improved processing power, and better 3D support in the 3D-enabled models.

With 75.94 million units sold, it was far from Nintendo's biggest success in the handheld market, but it was far ahead of its competitor - the PlayStation Vita.

And those are the finalists this time around. Who will come out on top in the grand finale of the console wars? It's up to you. Cast your votes and we'll reveal the grand winner in a few weeks.

As mentioned before in these console wars posts, the 360 is probably my favourite all time console. I really enjoyed all the split screen, system link co-op and unique XBLA games. I had some great 360 LAN's over the years. In addition the 360 was the console which really established online gaming on consoles and debuted achievements, something that since been copied on many platforms.

The 3DS would be a close second for me, simply because of the amount of time I spent playing all the current and past Pokemon games on it when I got back in to the franchise. The homebrew scene on the 3DS really added a lot of value to the console too.

Well, this is a tough one. I owned the 3DS, but I only bought maybe 3 games for it and hardly used it. I haven't bought a Microsoft console, but my most experience was probably with the 360. But the XBox One has the superior hardware and backwards compatibility...

I guess I'll abstain.

• Like 2

Xbox 360 for me. The sheer number of quality AAA games over the lifespan of the machine see's to it that it's an easy win.

PS2 would be my second choice for similar reasons to the above with the PSone in third place, again for similar reasons.

I never owned a 360 but the Xbox One was my first home media system (not just for games) which is significant enough for me to vote for it.

Although right now I am using a Nvidia Shield (2019) in combo with Kodi + Emby add on to properly stream 4K HDR content without the buffering nonsense, since I rely on being able to use subtitles because I am a bit deaf.

As mentioned before in these console wars posts, the 360 is probably my favourite all time console. I really enjoyed all the split screen, system link co-op and unique XBLA games. I had some great 360 LAN's over the years. In addition the 360 was the console which really established online gaming on consoles and debuted achievements, something that since been copied on many platforms.

The 3DS would be a close second for me, simply because of the amount of time I spent playing all the current and past Pokemon games on it when I got back in to the franchise. The homebrew scene on the 3DS really added a lot of value to the console too.

How many Xbox 360 consoles did you buy over its lifetime? How many of those had to be repaired due to the hardware failures that plagued the console?

Lol, again.., that is why microsoft products are bad, its people and community are blind, jealous, and clueless

cool

Wow - I had to vote Nintendo - because I think PlayStation offers were better.

What a crapshow this poll is.

Matching consoles that don't match to arrive at last showdown with 2 xboxes.

• Like 2

How many Xbox 360 consoles did you buy over its lifetime? How many of those had to be repaired due to the hardware failures that plagued the console?

For me, just the one. Still going strong. It was the first model with HDMI.

Lol, again.., that is why microsoft products are bad, its people and community are blind, jealous, and clueless

Yet here you are at a very Microsoft centric website... You are one smart young man.

Yet here you are at a very Microsoft centric website... You are one smart young man.

so i should be a fanboy? being fanboy doesn't help anything, better have a critical mindset, i do the same on sony and nintendo oriented websites, when i see bad stuff, i open my mouth

I sent my launch console in to get the updated cooling system at some point, however it never actually got the RROD. I owned 3x Xbox 360's. My main PAL Xbox 360, a JPN console for the region locked Cave shumps (and other region free games on Xbox Live if a friend was over) and a Jtag hacked Xbox 360 for homebrew.

I avoided the first couple years of the console. When they released the revision, I bought and it still works today after averaging 4-6 hours of gaming a day in its heyday.

so i should be a fanboy? being fanboy doesn't help anything, better have a critical mindset, i do the same on sony and nintendo oriented websites, when i see bad stuff, i open my mouth

Subjective opinions are fine, but it doesn't mean you're intelligent.

Shhhhh....just play along and nod your head.

Shhhhh....just play along and nod your head.

*nods head*

Considering how much of an emulation monster the Xbox One is (especially the Series S and Series X)... how is it not smashing the X360 even, since it can play its games... I don't think this should be judged on historically what it brought, but what it is, and its capabilities...

Need to this vote again in a couple of years when both PS5 and Xbox Series X/S matures. BC is a something all gamers want and help everyone's pocket at time of console launch. Microsoft really took off with BC and Sony finally realizes it's not a gimmick and it's not going away. Nintendo has a lot of great games from the past they can release and for one reason or another they won't.

RE Xbox 360: "As such, it was the first console to feature HD graphics"
XBOX (original) supported 720p and 1080i via the component video adapter. The amount of games that took advantage of this was low but there were a couple. 360 made it mainstream though.

No but do you really have to go so hard? And tearing people apart on some random tech community isn't really going to help your situation out. If there's something you truly don't like contact the people that are actually behind it. Maybe they'll help, maybe they won't, but it's a far better option then what you're doing here.