Demi Lovato announces they're non-binary

SNAG-0033.png

Demi Lovato is non-binary and is changing pronouns to they/them, singer announces

Demi Lovato is non-binary and is changing their pronouns from she/her to they/them, the singer has told fans.

Non-binary people don't identify as male or female, and tend not to conform to gender norms of either.

"Today is a day I'm so happy to share more of my life with you all," Demi, who's 28, wrote on Twitter.

"I am proud to let you know that I identify as non-binary & will officially be changing my pronouns to they/them moving forward."

Demi said they came to understand their gender identity after spending time doing "healing and self-reflective work" over the past year.

Using they/them as pronouns "best represents the fluidity I feel in my gender expression", the Sorry (Not Sorry) singer added.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-57169541

15 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

That's cool. Whatever floats their boat.......

I remember twenty years ago you could mostly tell by looking at someone what their gender was. Now, you're labeled insensitive if you presume male or female 🙄

All I know is if you have female body parts, wear makeup and dress, well, like a 'woman' don't get too upset if I slip and call you a 'she'. I'm cool with nonbinaries but they need then to present themselves as just that. In this case it seems more like a 'look at me, I'm special' kind of thing. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I remember twenty years ago you could mostly tell by looking at someone what their gender was. Now, you're labeled insensitive if you presume male or female 🙄

I personally don’t care. “They” can identify however they like, that’s their decision and I respect it. But it will not be my decision to identify them as such. 

I go with biology to determine how I identify them. If I can’t tell, then I will use they. 

They can identify as a toad. Doesn’t mean I will refer to them as a toad. 

Edited by adrynalyne

I'm always glad to see people finding themselves comfortable with who they are. But in Demi's case specifically I sometimes think she just really wants to stay in the media cycle, I keep seeing this kind of news pop up about them every couple of weeks. It was just a couple months ago that they came out as bisexual (or just gay, I can't recall), and now this. It's not like society has evolved that much in the past two months that they couldn't come out as non-binary at the time. Between that and stupid "scandals" like this: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/demi-lovato-instagram-eating-disorder-b1833942.html, I don't know exactly what to think of anything Demi does at this point.

4 minutes ago, indospot said:

I'm always glad to see people finding themselves comfortable with who they are. But in Demi's case specifically I sometimes think she just really wants to stay in the media cycle, I keep seeing this kind of news pop up about them every couple of weeks. It was just a couple months ago that they came out as bisexual (or just gay, I can't recall), and now this. It's not like society has evolved that much in the past two months that they couldn't come out as non-binary at the time. Between that and stupid "scandals" like this: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/demi-lovato-instagram-eating-disorder-b1833942.html, I don't know exactly what to think of anything Demi does at this point.

There was discussion about her drug problem causing brain damage in the past. I don’t know if it’s true or not.  

Something to chew on with this news. 

Is she now 

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I personally don’t care. “They” can identify however they like, that’s their decision and I respect it. But it will not be my decision to identify them as such. 

I go with biology to determine how I identify them. If I can’t tell, then I will use they. 

They can identify as a toad. Doesn’t mean I will refer to them as a toad. 

I tend to agree.  It is all about attention seeking and mental disorders.  Do what you want, but I fail to understand why they have to tell everyone if it is really about being comfortable in their own skin.  The sooner the world quits caring about what celebrities think and do the better off everyone will be.  There are very few celebrities that can identify with a normal person's life.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, tmorris1 said:

Is she now 

I tend to agree.  It is all about attention seeking and mental disorders.  Do what you want, but I fail to understand why they have to tell everyone if it is really about being comfortable in their own skin.  The sooner the world quits caring about what celebrities think and do the better off everyone will be.  There are very few celebrities that can identify with a normal person's life.

It’s easy enough to reverse the spotlight and ask the offended person why they are so insensitive and do not respect the views of others. 😮

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s easy enough to reverse the spotlight and ask the offended person why they are so insensitive and do not respect the views of others. 😮

I'm not offended, I just think it is stupid attention seeking behavior that I don't care about.  I hope she (or whatever we're supposed to call her?) gets her life in order and is happy.  It is not my problem if someone else is offended by what I think.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Now, you're labeled insensitive if you presume male or female 🙄

No, you're not. More made up nonsense. I've yet to ever face any backlash for calling someone a male, who looked like a male, but then identified as other... ones who would ever get bent out of shape would make it blatantly obvious and present themselves as such otherwise. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, shockz said:

No, you're not. More made up nonsense. I've yet to ever face any backlash for calling someone a male, who looked like a male, but then identified as other... ones who would ever get bent out of shape would make it blatantly obvious and present themselves as such otherwise. 

I agree.  This doesn't happen much in real life, just all of the stuff pointed out on social media which should all be ignored.  I don't know that it has happened to me before, but our minister called a female cousin of mine a "nice young man" once.  She is lesbian and used to kind of dress like a boy so I didn't blame him.  She looked like a boy.  Nobody went nuts as far as I knew.

maybe we stop talking about gender and start calling people by their birth sex, gender can be picked based on sociological constructed roles, sex can not it's based on genetics

3 hours ago, neufuse said:

maybe we stop talking about gender and start calling people by their birth sex, gender can be picked based on sociological constructed roles, sex can not it's based on genetics

Then where do trans and gender dysphoria people end up? We seem to live in a world where there's always going to be an exception no matter what and no one will be happy no matter how we categorize it. 

40 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Then where do trans and gender dysphoria people end up? We seem to live in a world where there's always going to be an exception no matter what and no one will be happy no matter how we categorize it. 

If you can't determine it at birth, do a genetic test, if there is ambiguousness about the genes then have them as indeterminate... how is it hard?

"Demi Lovato announces they're non binary"  🤣🤣🤣🤣 I am sorry but the grammar violation cracks me up.

4 minutes ago, MS Bob 10 said:

"Demi Lovato announces they're non binary"  🤣🤣🤣🤣 I am sorry but the grammar violation cracks me up.

There are no rules anymore... Just make it up as we go along.  All that was right is now wrong.

6 hours ago, tmorris1 said:

Is she now 

Not identifying as male or female isn't a mental disorder.

1 hour ago, timster said:

Fair, I don’t have the credentials to say otherwise. 

But let’s discuss it. What is it then?

Mental disorder is a broad term. I have a mental disorder. Whether I like the term or not isn’t relevant. The fact is, my brain doesn’t always tell my body to breath when I am asleep. It’s 100% in my head. It doesn’t make me insane, it doesn’t mean I am a sicko, it means I have a mental disorder. I’m not a lesser person for it, or anything like that. 

I think people get hung up on the term. 

7 hours ago, timster said:

I disagree, but would you classify her attention seeking as that?

Who is this person and why should anyone care what they identify as?  Seems like attention seeking to me to just announce this to the media, as if it or they matter or something.

• Like 2

Anyone remember when she was vaguely famous as a musician?

Now all Demi Lovato is famous for is being a trainwreck. Seriously it’s like her PR agent just sees value in any piece of news.

DL comes out as bi

DL discusses her battle with eating disorders

DL identifies as non binary

DL discusses her abuse within the music industry 

You know what? DL probably just needs to not be in the public eye if she has all these things going on cos she clearly has some issues she needs to deal with

On 19/05/2021 at 06:54, Steven P. said:

I've read articles and seen videos of people getting upset like that.  I want to be called a meat popsicle going forward and will get upset if called a he... 😝

If you look like a male or female, I will refer to you as such. If I offend, then the problem is theirs and not mine. Specially if I don't know you.  I'm not going to accept the blame if expected to remember a million pronouns and what each person wants to be called. 

Even in our early years of learning the English language, the pronouns he/his/him are to be used for a biological male and she/her/hers are for a biological female.

I think the only time it is acceptable to call someone otherwise or to let them choose what they want to be referred to is if they are born with both male and female reproductive organs.

You may say I'm disrespectful but I will only use the pronoun for a transgender based on their biological sexual identification.

• Like 2

On 20/05/2021 at 04:13, FloatingFatMan said:

Who is this person and why should anyone care what they identify as?  Seems like attention seeking to me to just announce this to the media, as if it or they matter or something.

this is a good example of "tell me you're old without telling me you're old" :rofl:

• Haha 3