Power of attorney

Hi,

My mom is 92 years old with dementia which is coming on stronger each passing day. I am hoping someone can help me with some questions on things that I know nothing about in regards to POA, assets and anything else. It would be helpful for someone who has gone through this or knows about these things as it is all new to me.

I would greatly appreciate any help given.

TIA

Probably want to look into a durable POA....

It would be best to seek guidance from an attorney (like an estate attorney if she has one).  POA's aren't very expensive and it would be best to be guided by an attorney vs. taking legal advice from a tech forum.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Probably want to look into a durable POA....

It would be best to seek guidance from an attorney (like an estate attorney if she has one).  POA's aren't very expensive and it would be best to be guided by an attorney vs. taking legal advice from a tech forum.

Jim, I agree with you as I have to take it one step at a time as all this is new to me. I was just hoping to get started here for a little guidence as i am pretty sure there are ppl on this site who has been through it. I hope you can understand my situation as I mean no disrect to you or the forum.

When you have a POA, you are taking over all of the decision making of your mom. Where I am, to have a POA, you need to be the next-of-kin (you are) and in most places, you need a physician to deem your mother "Without Capacity". This means that your mother is incompetent to make decisions. You then speak on her behalf. Additionally, you need a durable Medical POA to speak for medical treatment of her. A living will is an important part of that. Personally, I would not want "lifesaving measures" put on a woman of 92 with dementia. When the time comes, comfort care and hospice are much more peaceful than being in the ICU hooked up to machines.

10 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

When you have a POA, you are taking over all of the decision making of your mom. Where I am, to have a POA, you need to be the next-of-kin (you are) and in most places, you need a physician to deem your mother "Without Capacity". This means that your mother is incompetent to make decisions. You then speak on her behalf. Additionally, you need a durable Medical POA to speak for medical treatment of her. A living will is an important part of that. Personally, I would not want "lifesaving measures" put on a woman of 92 with dementia. When the time comes, comfort care and hospice are much more peaceful than being in the ICU hooked up to machines.

Agreed!!!