Visible lag on security camera

So my current setup is a PoE camera mounted and facing the door (second PoE camera is on the other side of the home watching that side), and a WiFi camera facing towards the road but also sees the door. While monitoring the cameras via Blue Iris, I noticed that when someone walks up and opens the door and comes inside, I see it in almost real time on the WiFi, but there is about a second delay on the PoE, which to me I would of have thought it would be the other way around (lag via WiFi) In both cases the physical distance from camera to router is ~30 ft, I have 50 ft of Ethernet cable running to the PoE camera not that I expect that would make any difference. Is the lag simply due to the camera? I.E. do the 'higher' end cameras have zero lag, or is the issue something more simple?

19 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Are they both recording/running at the same FPS?

I doubt it, the WiFi is a 1080p and the PoE are listed as 5MP

55 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

What are the models of the cameras? Not all camera are created equally. 

The PoE are Reolink RLC-410 the WiFi is AMICCOM

>Not all camera are created equally. 

Very true..  If you pull stream direct from IP of camera how is that, still delay?

53 minutes ago, BudMan said:

>Not all camera are created equally. 

Very true..  If you pull stream direct from IP of camera how is that, still delay?

Just tried to access via the IP directly, got a network timed out error when trying to connect. But since I posted this, I have noticed that I was looking at the wrong camera (I have 3 on the screen) and I thought that the one with the lag was the PoE, but it was the WiFi one in reality.

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

but it was the WiFi one in reality.

haha - funny... Well that makes a bit more sense then.. 

A second seems like a lot for a real time video chat, but in the big picture if a security camera your just using to check what happened or if someone stole your package or something.  Or who is at the door its prob not a show stopper

4 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

The PoE are Reolink RLC-410 the WiFi is AMICCOM

yikes $40 PoE cameras? I have ~$400 camera's and you still get a 1-2 second delay a lot of it is encoding of the video, sometimes it buffers it to internal memory to prevent stream jerking. Mine have a setting that says buffer video 1 to 3 seconds (its a choice) to prevent jitter in video streams

3 minutes ago, BudMan said:

haha - funny... Well that makes a bit more sense then.. 

A second seems like a lot for a real time video chat, but in the big picture if a security camera your just using to check what happened or if someone stole your package or something.  Or who is at the door its prob not a show stopper

It's not a show stopper, but rather something I noticed.

1 minute ago, neufuse said:

yikes $40 PoE cameras? I have ~$400 camera's and you still get a 1-2 second delay a lot of it is encoding of the video, sometimes it buffers it to internal memory to prevent stream jerking. Mine have a setting that says buffer video 1 to 3 seconds (its a choice) to prevent jitter in video streams

They work for what I need them for, I wasn't looking to shell out lots of money for them, the only thing I would have liked is PTZ, but oh well.

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

^ that doesn't do PTZ ;)

A poe outdoor rated that does PTZ for $40 would be like finding a unicorn ;)

Fair enough.  I just picked one of these up since we're not always on the side of the house that vehicles come to/past.

OK, so I have determined that the lag is not from the camera as I can be monitoring them via the cell phone app and everything is in real time. So that means that the lag I am seeing is a result of the monitoring software.

• 4 weeks later...

Funny thing I noticed last week when I was at Costco. They have a monitor right above the exit, and while I was waiting to leave, I watched someone walk out in person, then a few seconds later I saw them on the monitor. So I'm guessing that there is no 'real time' monitoring, there will always be a delay of a few seconds. Am I guessing correctly?

35 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Funny thing I noticed last week when I was at Costco. They have a monitor right above the exit, and while I was waiting to leave, I watched someone walk out in person, then a few seconds later I saw them on the monitor. So I'm guessing that there is no 'real time' monitoring, there will always be a delay of a few seconds. Am I guessing correctly?

Yes, neufuse even pointed this out above. It's going to be almost impossible to get real time cause of encoding, expected buffering, etc

• Like 1

If you want no delay you would need to be using RTSP.. Does your camera support that?

7 hours ago, BudMan said:

If you want no delay you would need to be using RTSP.. Does your camera support that?

Yes, the PoE's are being accessed via RTSP

Well you shouldn't be seeing such a delay then.  But if you google rtsp delay you will find some issues with some camera's and some software, etc..  But the protocol is designed to be as lag free as possible.. And this is your best hope for min delay between what is actually happening and what is presented on your screen.

If you just hit the camera via say vlc and the rtsp stream - what is the delay?  You can google for instructions on how to do that I am sure.

What does the camera spec say for its delay?  Should be a few frames.. Or it could just be a ###### camera?

You should be a few 100ms you would hope..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Well you shouldn't be seeing such a delay then.  But if you google rtsp delay you will find some issues with some camera's and some software, etc..  But the protocol is designed to be as lag free as possible.. And this is your best hope for min delay between what is actually happening and what is presented on your screen.

If you just hit the camera via say vlc and the rtsp stream - what is the delay?  You can google for instructions on how to do that I am sure.

What does the camera spec say for its delay?  Should be a few frames.. Or it could just be a ###### camera?

You should be a few 100ms you would hope..

I downloaded VLC and opened the camera in it (RTSP)  I'll have to wait and see the next time someone goes outside to see if there is a delay. Do you know of any method for access the WiFi camera, it uses ONVIF, besides the software I am using?

Simple crude way to measure how bad the latency is - do you a tablet you can put up a clock with MS?  You would hope your under 1s (1000ms)..

This assumes your tablet time and your pc time are in sync (ntp really helps)..  Then have someone hold the tablet up while in the video..  Even if only shows seconds that should work for this crude test..

The lag is still there via VLC, apparently there were some setting that could be changed for the camera's, but those options are not there any longer . (This info comes from my brief searches online with the term 'reolink rlc-410 RTSP lag', most of what I was seeing was 3 or 4 years old, and things have changed since that point.