Official Windows 11 Insider builds

On 05/08/2021 at 21:46, domboy said:

Has anyone switched from dev to beta and installed this update? My device gets to 100% and then fails with 0x800f0831.

Ehhh maybe you should switch back to Dev, check for updates and install .120 then switch to Beta. 

On 05/08/2021 at 17:03, Steven P. said:

Ehhh maybe you should switch back to Dev, check for updates and install .120 then switch to Beta. 

That's a good idea! In theory I should be able to switch on either the current .100 or .120 since they're in both in both channels concurrently. I'm not sure why I didn't think to try that yet. Thanks!

Got it to upgrade. For some reason I had gotten a green screen of death (some power related message) as it had initially started downloading, so I wondered if something got corrupted with windows update, and my attempts at all the windows update repairs didn't fix it. Did a system restore to a point a couple days ago, and even though system restore said it had an error, but it seemed to roll it back anyway. Weird 🙄. Anyway after that, I tried switching to beta, rebooted, and then the update installed just fine. Again, weird. 

Windows hello is definitely working again. I might be imagining it, but facial recognition seems to work much better than it used to when holding the device in portrait mode. I know it's better than windows 10 was, and I'm pretty happy about that as the whole reason I set it up was so I wouldn't have to type in a pin when I've got the keyboard removed, and I usually hold it by the long edge when using it as a tablet, and I used to have to tile my head sideways to get it to recognize me!

It seems with 22000.160 (and possibly the last build) my Surface Pro X doesn't stay in connected standby nearly as long as it used to (with earlier Windows 11 builds), and hibernates quite often. Kind of annoying as the first Windows 11 dev build seemed to finally fix that issue with Windows 10, and it almost never hibernated. Submitted feedback, but unfortunately it's not something I can take a recording to help them re-create :/

Hopefully since it's Microsoft's hardware they can figure it out.

The start of the branch split might be today?   I expected them to jump dev ahead to future builds in Sept,  so maybe next week at the earliest but I guess they're moving quicker.

• Like 2

This is pretty interesting, and shows how ahead the internal builds are.    Also hints of something going on early September?  

Time to get the old vm sorted out again, see how much different Dev is to Beta (Dev on vm, Beta on main pc) ... and if it is as unstable as they have been making it out to be.

On 27/08/2021 at 03:50, Sulphy said:

Time to get the old vm sorted out again, see how much different Dev is to Beta (Dev on vm, Beta on main pc) ... and if it is as unstable as they have been making it out to be.

I've been running it as my main OS and it's gone pretty swimmingly.

...but honestly so far it doesn't seem like much to talk about.  New UI?  Sure.  A few cool features?  Sure.  Still feels exactly like Win10?  Yes. 

I would love it if they went a bit more in depth about the changes, but I'm not even sure the important bits are implemented yet. 

On 27/08/2021 at 11:16, Randomevent said:

I've been running it as my main OS and it's gone pretty swimmingly.

...but honestly so far it doesn't seem like much to talk about.  New UI?  Sure.  A few cool features?  Sure.  Still feels exactly like Win10?  Yes. 

I would love it if they went a bit more in depth about the changes, but I'm not even sure the important bits are implemented yet. 

Indeed, I have been using it as main OS since it was released.... now they split the builds out, and emailed us on the Dev channel about instability... hence me getting the vm up and running (remembering to install the vbox guest additions... no more square corners!) ... i reckon, if i dont se any major issues with the vm, i may put my pc back on dev channel, as vm wont give a true reflection IMHO .. :) ... but if there are serious flaws... then at least i can carry on with day-2-day.

Going to be a rebuild from scratch again sometime... 

I've got it installed in vbox, .160.  Also set it to the dev channel though it tossed a nag at me saying my system doesn't meet the requirements.  Well duh, it's a VM.   Anyways, we'll see how long it gets updated for.

Sounds like 22000.168 is on the way.  Doubt it'll have much new stuff but who knows?

On 27/08/2021 at 18:42, George P said:

Sounds like 22000.168 is on the way.  Doubt it'll have much new stuff but who knows?

KB5005191 is now being served for Dev and Beta.

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-168/

• Like 2

There's a lengthy hardware support blog post to.   They're not going to change the min requirements much, if at all.  BUT what they'll let you do is install 11 on unsupported hardware if you want.  You can only do so using the ISO or the Media Creation tool though.  It won't allow you to upgrade via WU etc.

I just updated my VM from .160 to .168, it's for sure faster than Windows 10.  Even though it's on vbox it went pretty quick for me.   It should be blazing fast on newer hardware and a nvme etc.  

On 28/08/2021 at 08:48, George P said:

I just updated my VM from .160 to .168, it's for sure faster than Windows 10.  Even though it's on vbox it went pretty quick for me.   It should be blazing fast on newer hardware and a nvme etc.  

It depends on the hardware. It is slower on my machine, which falls in line with apparent L3 issues with W11 and Ryzen. 

It should smoke on my machine. It’s slower than 10 though. L3 cache latency is through the roof. 

Ryzen 9 3950X

128GB DDR 3600

PCIe gen4 2TB SSD

RTX 2080 Super

On 28/08/2021 at 19:46, adrynalyne said:

It depends on the hardware. It is slower on my machine, which falls in line with apparent L3 issues with W11 and Ryzen. 

It should smoke on my machine. It’s slower than 10 though. L3 cache latency is through the roof. 

Ryzen 9 3950X

128GB DDR 3600

PCIe gen4 2TB SSD

RTX 2080 Super

Interesting, I didn't hear about that type of issue.  Hope they work it out in the next update.

On 28/08/2021 at 11:25, George P said:

Interesting, I didn't hear about that type of issue.  Hope they work it out in the next update.

It’s out there, but nobody is really paying attention so it’s not gaining traction. 

Which is worrisome. 

On 28/08/2021 at 14:54, adrynalyne said:

It’s out there, but nobody is really paying attention so it’s not gaining traction. 

Which is worrisome. 

It's kind of hard to say for most of us whether problems are specific to one type of build or have specific requirements to come across or they already plan to fix them or anything, really.  I haven't noticed anything on mine.

On 28/08/2021 at 13:18, Randomevent said:

It's kind of hard to say for most of us whether problems are specific to one type of build or have specific requirements to come across or they already plan to fix them or anything, really.  I haven't noticed anything on mine.

So far, its been every update., though I've not tried 168.

Appears to be specific to Zen2 and 3.

I myself am not concerned about the unsupported models to verify if it affects those.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/oamp05/cache_l3_completely_off_on_windows_11_with_amd/

There are quite a few of these as well as feeedback reports.

On 28/08/2021 at 17:34, adrynalyne said:

So far, its been every update., though I've not tried 168.

Appears to be specific to Zen2 and 3.

I myself am not concerned about the unsupported models to verify if it affects those.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/oamp05/cache_l3_completely_off_on_windows_11_with_amd/

There are quite a few of these as well as feeedback reports.

I'm using a 3700X atm and am not seeing perf problems anywhere. 

I'll look into it.  Later.