Here are my views about Windows 11 Dev Preview Build

My system: Nothing Fancy

Core i5 10600,  Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia RTX 3080, 500 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus

No issue with TPM after enabling PTT in Bios F20

I did a fresh install using ISO making script from uupdump.net

The initial install is still Vista Era and hasn't been changed much. This sets you up for things to expect. On booting for the 1st time for OOBE (out of box experience), the initial setup wizard appears to be well done with minimal configuration inputs being asked. I would have loved to set the name of my PC right there itself.

Now comes to caveats:

The new explorer has a lot of limitations as evident from an hr of testing. Basic things like 7-zip don't have support for context menus yet. The Right click context menu where you click "Show more options" to reveal the older context menu feels tacky as f***. The new thick bar which replaced the ribbon.... Does it want to be translucent ? or project the faint color of the wallpaper while remaining opaque ? It is not consistent with new settings app. At least they could have back / forward arrows at same places for better muscle memory. The context menus everywhere are so obnoxiously large that they look comical. I hope Microsoft takes the "Right Feedback" from community and implements it before actual release.

Why do they need to show me recommended apps in new start menu? Why can't I reclaim that space to pin more apps there instead? If I disable recommended apps, that area remains blank or wasted. This means poor UI design. Why STILL I cannot disable the rubbish "Top Apps" in Search box? Isn't it the same as Recommended Apps in the new start menu? I have sent countless feedback about that useless feature when it launched 2 yrs back yet zero f***s were given.

All old Control Panel items or XP era stuff like System Restore, Firewall configuration options are still very much there. So basically what feels like Windows 10 running StyleXP/WindowsBlinds with some shell modifications.

Lets just say that the whole UI just feels heavy. Especially because of the dual context menus.

The sounds on the other hand are pleasing and I read that Microsoft has improved the sound stack here. Most of my apps are working as they should. So still a thumbs up from me. Few UI glitches here and there, most things do work.

Pretty: Yes it is !

User Friendly: No it ain't.

You choose.

I must be the only person who as one of the very first things I do on a new installation is

Disable Animations and Fades

Enable the confirmation dialog box on the recycle bin

Enable This PC on the explorer icon

Disable Sounds.

• Like 2

This must be the first time (ever) where a new version of Windows is out there for previewing and I do not have a qualifying machine to try it out (barred by my 6th generation CPU, not TPM 2.0)

Feels very strange.

45 minutes ago, BimBamSmash said:

This must be the first time (ever) where a new version of Windows is out there for previewing and I do not have a qualifying machine to try it out (barred by my 6th generation CPU, not TPM 2.0)

Feels very strange.

If you really want to test it out, I can help. It is very much possible. 

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I must be the only person who as one of the very first things I do on a new installation is

Disable Animations and Fades

Enable the confirmation dialog box on the recycle bin

Enable This PC on the explorer icon

Disable Sounds.

I had to double check the "this pc" thing, apparently I must enable it after a fresh install without even realising it 🤣 - Animations though... not required but I like them, feels slick. As for recycle bin.... YOLO shift+delete every time.

also, "my pc, nothing fancy, only a RTX 3080" - so nonchalant 🙃

1 minute ago, cacoe said:

I had to double check the "this pc" thing, apparently I must enable it after a fresh install without even realising it 🤣 - Animations though... not required but I like them, feels slick. As for recycle bin.... YOLO shift+delete every time.

ever tried it without animations and fades? I like it because everything feels more instant.

Just now, warwagon said:

ever tried it without animations and fades? I like it because everything feels more instant.

I find the smoothness of animations feels a bit less harsh and a bit more calming than instant... kinda more chill. Like me.

Instant is good too, if animations went away, I wouldn't care that much.

2 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

Thanks. Can't say I really want to try it out. What I meant to say earlier was that it feels strange how the industry is now deliberately depreciating hardware that is only 4 years old. This used to be Apple's territory.

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

On a 3950x, PCIE 4 SSD, and 128GB of ram, its instant regardless ;)

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

On a 3950x, PCIE 4 SSD, and 128GB of ram, its instant regardless ;)

I mean it is but you do loose a couple of milliseconds waiting for the box to fade in.

2 hours ago, cacoe said:

I purchased RTX 3080 for $699 November last year. 

• 5 months later...
On 29/06/2021 at 10:36, d5aqoëp said:

Indeed, as my G3258 proves daily - it lacks TPM and at least four cores.  (Remember, G3258 is a Pentium Dual Core - albeit basically a halved Core i3 of its generation - with the on-die GPU of the i3 and support for HTT - which is why Hyper-V works on it.)