I have Graphite From CP-1 First Nuclear Reactor

229836803_1436646283395019_7878885524118321338_n.thumb.jpg.645de5eaec9fc1efb5ce750cac573f61.jpg228725630_235900688385054_5291826130505887917_n.thumb.jpg.f390d0d00a781827c0f6d015aa94db09.jpg

My GF Sara got it from her Sister. We aren't sure where her sister got it from. She frequents a lot of house hold auctions, so maybe it was included in a box of stuff.

"The secret development of the CP-1 reactor was the first major technical achievement for the Manhattan Project"

The site of the first man-made self-sustaining nuclear fission reaction received designation as a National Historic Landmark on February 18, 1965. On October 15, 1966, which is the day that the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 was enacted creating the National Register of Historic Places, it was added to that as well. The site was named a Chicago Landmark on October 27, 1971. A small graphite block from the pile is on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, another can be seen at the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos, NM. The old Stagg Field plot of land is currently home to the Regenstein Library at the University of Chicago. A Henry Moore sculpture, Nuclear Energy, in a small quadrangle commemorates the nuclear experiment.

The site of the first man-made self-sustaining nuclear fission reaction received designation as a National Historic Landmark on February 18, 1965. On October 15, 1966, which is the day that the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 was enacted creating the National Register of Historic Places, it was added to that as well. The site was named a Chicago Landmark on October 27, 1971. A small graphite block from the pile is on display at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, another can be seen at the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos, NM. The old Stagg Field plot of land is currently home to the Regenstein Library at the University of Chicago. A Henry Moore sculpture, Nuclear Energy, in a small quadrangle commemorates the nuclear experiment.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2021 at 08:07, mrk said:

That is impressive and whilst maybe meaningless to the average person, played a part in building our power needs as human beings. Top stuff!

I know! I think it's really cool!

On 05/10/2021 at 14:07, mrk said:

That is impressive and whilst maybe meaningless to the average person, played a part in building our power needs as human beings. Top stuff!

Anyone who finds this "meaningless" really needs to rethink.  This is an awesome piece of history!

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 08:48, Dick Montage said:

Anyone who finds this "meaningless" really needs to rethink.  This is an awesome piece of history!

Sara was cleaning her house one day, and was going to throw it a way. I said ...WWWWHAAAAT!? ... So I took it home with me.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 14:48, Dick Montage said:

It's true though. Just like if Aliens that  visited Earth was proven to be true the average person just would not care as shown by recent interviews done on the general public and then the social commentary on forums and things that arose where people asked friends/family. People are strange sometimes!