What to do with old USB drives?

I have a couple of 1GB, 2GB and even 4GB memory sticks that I can't quite think what to do with now as all are likely to sit in a drawer and do nothing.

Can anyone think of anything I could do with them?

The ONLY thing I can think of is downloading a base set of drivers for each PC I have, so if something happens, I have some drivers for them ready go to - but that's two memory sticks out of about 6.

Just need to decide whether I should get a larger SSD for transferring files between PCs (they're on the same network but can't see each other for some reason - need to look into this more), or just some larger memory sticks.

oh you mean flash drives and not RAM correct?

I can think of some use cases for a few of them but the smaller ones really aren't worth much use these days and could probably just be tossed or put in recycling at a local tech shop or BestBuy.

Here's a couple uses I can think of:

• Create an emergency/recovery drive. could be a few drives with single tools on it or could be a multi-boot drive with several tools:
    • GParted
    • Hiren's BootCD
    • Kaspersky Rescue Disk
    • etc.

• Create a few installer drives or a multi-boot installer drive so any/every OS

• Add storage to random devices that support it such as smart TVs
  • Like 4

• Brandon H changed the title to What to do with old USB drives?
On 13/09/2021 at 14:43, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Ha, yeah, I mean memory sticks...  like little hard drives :P

Not DIMMS!

Any MOD having a mosey, feel free to edit my post :)

I thought so with the context mentioned but wanted to make sure haha

I've updated the title to one that may draw in more answers for you :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i also have the same issue....I have a couple of 1GB, 2GB and even 4GB memory sticks that I can't quite think what to do with now as all are likely to sit in a drawer and do nothing.

The ONLY thing I can think of is downloading a base set of drivers for each PC I have, so if something happens

On 24/09/2021 at 11:19, aewasm said:

hey,

i also have the same issue....I have a couple of 1GB, 2GB and even 4GB memory sticks that I can't quite think what to do with now as all are likely to sit in a drawer and do nothing.

The ONLY thing I can think of is downloading a base set of drivers for each PC I have, so if something happens

It's also a good idea to have an emergency USB with memetestx86 and something like Macrium Reflect for drive partitioning/fixing the MBR.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2021 at 11:14, Steven P. said:

It's also a good idea to have an emergency USB with memetestx86 and something like Macrium Reflect for drive partitioning/fixing the MBR.

That or Acronis True Image. Or GParted.

On 24/09/2021 at 11:14, Steven P. said:

Think he forgot his spammy link.... it's a copy/paste of the OP.  😉

Hello,

One additional use for smaller capacity USB flash drives is for motherboard BIOS (UEFI) firmware updates.  While I have not had any problem with modern motherboards, some earlier models seemed to have trouble updating from larger capacity USB flash drives.  Having a few "single gigabyte" USB flash drives around expressly for motherboard BIOS updates might be a reason to maintain them.

Failing that, they could be binned as e-waste, or perhaps after being wiped donated to school, charity or other non-profit.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky