Windows 11 battery icon

Maybe I'm just missing something but how do you hide the battery icon in windows 11? I swear in the original builds you could.

First you are probably going to say why would you want to hide that? well maybe because it's showing on my desktop!

Windows detects my UPS as a battery and shows me that icon non-stop, I don't want to see it but I still want to have my system go to sleep if the UPS battery is getting low during an outage.

Did they move these settings? Or just get rid of them thinking no one uses a battery but mobile people?

Also why doesn't the battery icon show you when it's plugged in anymore? I used to look at that to make sure my laptops are charging when docked, now it just shows a battery with no plug

Hello,

I do not have a Windows 11 machine available right at the moment, but under Windows 10, it would be located under Settings | Personalization | Taskbar | Turn system icons on or off.  Perhaps under Windows 11 it is located in a similar place.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 15/09/2021 at 23:26, goretsky said:

Hello,

I do not have a Windows 11 machine available right at the moment, but under Windows 10, it would be located under Settings | Personalization | Taskbar | Turn system icons on or off.  Perhaps under Windows 11 it is located in a similar place.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

nope, they seem to of removed anything related to hiding the volume, network and battery icon in the current builds of windows 11, I even found one article that said they are "mandatory system icons"... well no a battery is not in the case of a UPS

the functionality got gimped along with everything else on the new taskbar :/

separate gripe but you can't even hold shift and click on an open app to open a new instance anymore; it just brings the already open window/app back to focus like a normal click :/

• Sad 1

On 16/09/2021 at 10:23, Brandon H said:

the functionality got gimped along with everything else on the new taskbar :/

separate gripe but you can't even hold shift and click on an open app to open a new instance anymore; it just brings the already open window/app back to focus like a normal click :/

I was excited for windows 11 until they ruined the taskbar and start menu....

I don't want half the start menu empty space because I never have recent items enabled....

I don't want to see a battery icon on a desktop that doesn't have a battery....

then all the other quick use functionality was gimped... like right clicking a network share and mapping the drive... now it's hidden in "other"...

On 16/09/2021 at 09:30, neufuse said:

I was excited for windows 11 until they ruined the taskbar and start menu....

I don't want half the start menu empty space because I never have recent items enabled....

I don't want to see a battery icon on a desktop that doesn't have a battery....

then all the other quick use functionality was gimped... like right clicking a network share and mapping the drive... now it's hidden in "other"...

yeah it really is a shame. I like the new look of the taskbar but all the missing functionality from before is painful.

I'm also not a fan of the new start menu either; it's a big step backwards from what we had with the 10 menu, all they needed to do was revamp the right side pinning so it used icons instead of tiles. They should have kept the rest of the menu the same, I liked having the apps list always expanded and I liked being able to group/categorize my pins.

I said it in one of the FPN articles but I can see there being a lot more taskbar replacement tools right alongside the start menu replacements this time around.

StartisBack has a beta out for 11 right now and it does exactly this, it replaces the taskbar as well now. http://startisback.com/tbd/

edit: is just a shame it doesn't provide the 10 style menu yet, just the modern and 7 styles but hopefully that'll change down the line