Babylon 5 (CW: J. Michael Straczynski)

I have to say that I'm not that excited. Reboots usually not that good, IMO. The original was so good, I'm not sure how they can remake it better (other than the CGI).

On 28/09/2021 at 11:44, hagjohn said:

I have to say that I'm not that excited. Reboots usually not that good, IMO. The original was so good, I'm not sure how they can remake it better (other than the CGI).

I'll reserve judgement being Straczynski is behind this, and I'd be interested into see how he evolves the universe.

Any reboot is some form of bittersweet memories.
But with JMS writing it again, I'm hopeful.

It's sad a lot of the original cast never will see the reboot. A lot of them left us too early. :(

It would have been nice to see them pop up in some form of cameo in one of the new episodes.

Not sure how I feel about this. Like others said, I'm hopeful with JMS involved but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm also just learning remastered episodes of the original series are on HBOMax. I don't know how I missed that news. Has anyone checked them out?

On 28/09/2021 at 18:26, Zathras5 said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Like others said, I'm hopeful with JMS involved but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm also just learning remastered episodes of the original series are on HBOMax. I don't know how I missed that news. Has anyone checked them out?

For what they had to work with, it looks better. Lots of color correction it seems as well, especially CGI.

I think JMS is going to have a difficult job with this one, for two fairly big reasons... 

1.  Casting - The original cast are so well loved that replacing them is REALLY going to be a difficult job if they want any kind of fan acceptance. He might have to settle for all new characters instead.

2.  The plot  - It's so full of twists and turns and surprising reveals that we've already seen, that he's going to have to come up with completely new ones to keep the audience guessing. No small task!

It might work, I hope it will work, but I have large doubts it will work...

As someone who's only seen bits and pieces of B5, I'm interested in this, it'd be totally new to me and a good opportunity to jump into the universe fresh.

On 29/09/2021 at 01:47, FloatingFatMan said:

1.  Casting - The original cast are so well loved that replacing them is REALLY going to be a difficult job if they want any kind of fan acceptance. He might have to settle for all new characters instead.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I think new characters would be ideal.

Since it's a reboot they could go with all new characters and change it up, it honestly doesn't need to be the same ones.   I'm fine either way since I'm going into this new and not knowing much about the original from what little I've seen.

On 29/09/2021 at 18:18, George P said:

Since it's a reboot they could go with all new characters and change it up, it honestly doesn't need to be the same ones.   I'm fine either way since I'm going into this new and not knowing much about the original from what little I've seen.

I agree that as far as NEW viewers are concerned, it really doesn't matter.  But the reboot won't exist in a vacuum and I really don't think JMS wants to do to the fanbase what Star Trek Discovery did to the Trek fanbase.  The ONLY reason he's getting this chance is because B5 fans kept the show alive, so if he disrespects them or the original show, he's going to ###### off quite a lot of people...

Somehow, I don't think he wants to do that, so he's going to have to come up with something the fans will like.  He's got the writing chops to do it though.

Edited by FloatingFatMan