Autopatch install problems

I've scanned through the forums for people having similar issues and nothing seems to match. I click on the exe to start the install. It quickly goes through the first couple of options, then chokes on generating tree. If I leave it for like 30 + minutes it will eventually complete and spit me to a screen where I can choose to select or deselect the modules. The only problem with this is that once I click on something it goes back into that 30+ minute "not responding" loop. I'm sure if I had the time and the patience to sit and mess with it it would probably install just fine. I put the updated files for the Jan release into the folder, but that didn't seem to help anything at all. I am assuming the Dual Xeons that I'm running at 3 gig should have NO problem processing the update. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Firsty, let me welcome you to neowin!

The problem you are experiencing is indeed unique... I guess my old 386 would be faster on loading that...

Did you download the Full January release? Does AutoPatcher give any errors at any point along the run?

/Raptor

Firsty, let me welcome you to neowin!

The problem you are experiencing is indeed unique... I guess my old 386 would be faster on loading that...

Did you download the Full January release? Does AutoPatcher give any errors at any point along the run?

/Raptor

Also, start Task Manager before running the AutoPatcher and when the 30 min period starts... see what is takin' up your resources the most. Is it the AutoPatcher?

Well with the Dual xenons and the hyperthreading, I have "4" cpus. Sometimes it looks as though one cpu is getting taxed more than the other (as shown by the performance meter and the onboard temp monitor) but for total useage its only at like 25%. The memory being used by Autopatcher is steadily climbing the entire time I let it continue to run. Right now its at 18meg (10 minutes) and climbing. I thought that it might be an interaction with my virus program so I uninstalled it and it honestly made no difference.

I downloaded the Jan full install. Tried it a couple of times (killing it in taskmanager). Unzipped the "updated files" into the folder. Tried that a couple of times. But it seems to just bog.

No error messages. The window (if visible) just sorta blanks.

Well with the Dual xenons and the hyperthreading, I have "4" cpus. Sometimes it looks as though one cpu is getting taxed more than the other (as shown by the performance meter and the onboard temp monitor) but for total useage its only at like 25%. The memory being used by Autopatcher is steadily climbing the entire time I let it continue to run. Right now its at 18meg (10 minutes) and climbing. I thought that it might be an interaction with my virus program so I uninstalled it and it honestly made no difference.

I downloaded the Jan full install. Tried it a couple of times (killing it in taskmanager). Unzipped the "updated files" into the folder. Tried that a couple of times. But it seems to just bog.

No error messages. The window (if visible) just sorta blanks.

Very very odd! :s Well I'm talkin' to Raptor right now about it... we'll see if we can get any ideas of what could be doin' it.

Well I'll be here for a couple more hours .. willing to try stuff. (That is until the Mrs gets back and wants to go to that Valentines thing :)

39 minutes running ... about 29.5 meg of memory used. It seems to be going up at about 4k/sec

Memory leak ?

Ok .. 47 minutes and 32 meg later I am at the selection screen. :(

Just unchecked MSN Messenger and its doign its 4k/sec memory count AGAIN :(

Edited by El_Mono

hmmm... that does sound like a memory leak... i believe its a DLL causing it... probably Microsoft Common Controls... not sure why it does that, but everything you reported is associated with Microsoft Common Controls...

/Raptor

no... i guess the only way to really fix this is to play with MSCOMCTL.OCX... ill search myself, see if there's any newer version or any known Xeon-specific problem with it...

/Raptor

Well I lost patience trying to get it to work and I formatted my drive. Tried the autopatcher install again and BOOM, it went right in. I guess the whole problem I was trying to repair with the autopatcher was causing problems with the initial install. I'm glad to say that its installed now and went in without a hitch.

happy to hear it worked out... i didnt find any Xeon-specifc problems with common controls, so i guess it was another app you have there which would have caused a version mismatch on the common control files... that i believe caused the memory leak...

/Raptor