Mac issues

I am new to mac so plz bare with me in 2 issues I have:

1. When I am in disk utility, I noticed there is 2 partitions mac os and the other 1 is untitled. How do I merge the 2 into 1 partition?

2. When I am in boot camp assistant I would like to install windows server 2016 or 2019. I see 2 options of

A. Download the latest windows support software from apple.

B. Install or remove win 7 or win 8.

Option A, I can put a check mark in an and download the files on a flash drive but nothing happens after that. Option B which I want to use as i have win server 2016 downloaded on the desktop but it is grayed out. How do I enable option B so i can use it?

TIA

On 18/10/2021 at 20:12, Bruinator said:

I am new to mac so plz bare with me in 2 issues I have:

1. When I am in disk utility, I noticed there is 2 partitions mac os and the other 1 is untitled. How do I merge the 2 into 1 partition?

2. When I am in boot camp assistant I would like to install windows server 2016 or 2019. I see 2 options of

Option A, I can put a check mark in an and download the files on a flash drive but nothing happens after that. Option B which I want to use as i have win server 2016 downloaded on the desktop but it is grayed out. How do I enable option B so i can use it?

TIA

1. You cant merge the partitions because 1 of them is a small read only OS only partition. Don't worry too much about it and just shrink the other partition.

2. Microsoft doesn't allow / recommend installing Server OS's on a personal computer so thats why this is this way. Since you have the support software (drivers), now its on you to shrink the drive, add a NTFS partition and then run the server installer.

Since you want to install Server on your personal machine, its safe to assume you should know how to manually set up a drive / partition to install Windows on it. If you need specific instructions to do it "manually" its all over the internet. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

On 18/10/2021 at 22:00, Sikh said:

1. You cant merge the partitions because 1 of them is a small read only OS only partition. Don't worry too much about it and just shrink the other partition.

2. Microsoft doesn't allow / recommend installing Server OS's on a personal computer so thats why this is this way. Since you have the support software (drivers), now its on you to shrink the drive, add a NTFS partition and then run the server installer.

Since you want to install Server on your personal machine, its safe to assume you should know how to manually set up a drive / partition to install Windows on it. If you need specific instructions to do it "manually" its all over the internet. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Option B which I want to use as i have win server 2016 downloaded on the desktop but it is grayed out. How do I enable option B so i can use it?