Handicapped person has trouble activating cell phone

Several years ago, a handicapped relative signed up with a "Lifeline" service provided
by Assurance Wireless. It's free, but you must meet the eligibility requirements.

Assurance switched from the Sprint Network to T-Mobile. All Lifeline recipients had to
upgrade their phones. My relative did not want a smartphone, so he received an unlocked
Alcatel flip phone, which is very similar to his old phone.

For the past several days, he has been trying to activate this phone with no luck. He doesn't
use the web very much, so I helped him login to his Assurance Wireless account. We both
believed the activation process was successful, but something is very wrong. The phone
searches endlessly for a signal.

He has called Assurance "Customer Care" four times using a landline phone. Each call is a
nightmare, because they barely speak english.

I've tried SIM cards from Assurance Wireless and T-Mobile. All you see on the top edge of the
screen is a continuous scrolling word, "Searching."

Have we tried everything possible to activate this phone? If the answer is yes, I will advise my
relative to abandon Assurance Wireless and help him find another cell provider.

Not sure what his/her needs are. But they do have other businesses that do that same thing.

Here's a government plan: https://qlinkwireless.com/

Quick search brought that up. IDK what you need to get it, but, just my .02

Thanks Mindovermaster.

I remember when this Lifeline service started. It seemed like a good idea, but I was very
skeptical. Anything "free" is usually junk. The fact is, my relative has been very happy with
Assurance. Until recently, it was 99.99% reliable.

If the Alcatel phone he received is defective, they will eventually send him another phone.
It could take several weeks. He has a chronic illness, and that phone could save his life
if he gets very sick.

Unless this problem with Assurance is resolved quickly, I will probably buy one of those no
contract phones for my relative.