Do you get a flu shot every year?

Do you get a flu shot every year?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get a flu shot every year?

• Yes
    • Not every year
    • I've never had one before but I'll get one this year
    • I've never had a flu shot before.

Yeah, well I'm 71 years old and 300 lbs. so I've been getting flu shots every year for the last 20 years even though I've never had the flu in my life (and managed to work in New York City and ride the subway for 20 years without anything worse than a cold). I've also had 3 Pfizer shots so far. But I do need to catch up on my other shots like the new pneumonia and zoster shots.

Haven't had a flu shot since I was a kid.  I can't remember the last time I even had the flu, which is mostly the reason I don't bother.  I had covid for 2 days over the summer, so I'm not too concerned about that vaccine either.

On 10/11/2021 at 16:45, Astra.Xtreme said:

Haven't had a flu shot since I was a kid.  I can't remember the last time I even had the flu, which is mostly the reason I don't bother.  I had covid for 2 days over the summer, so I'm not too concerned about that vaccine either.

You are one of these in risk of dying because it's afraid of getting vaccinated. 

Never had flu, very rarely have colds.   Been eligible for flu jab for 3 years now, never had one.

On 10/11/2021 at 16:49, macoman said:

You are one of these in risk of dying because it's afraid of getting vaccinated. 

Um, he already had covid, and is still alive. Pretty sure he's not going to die from not getting the vaccine, since even the left media is finally letting the word out that immunity from previously having covid is more effective than the vaccine.

Anyway, on topic, I usually get the flu shot as I have kids in school, and there's a good chance it'll go around school at some point. Speaking of the kids, usually get them the flu shot too, and plan to this year as the flu is a lot more of a concern for kids than covid19.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 10/11/2021 at 15:49, macoman said:

Boy oh boy where to start...  Let's see, I had it recently and it was extremely short and mild (worst symptom was a fever for about an hour and then my hair hurt for two days).  Call me lucky, but I don't have any comorbid conditions, and I'm in my early 30s. I think just about everything else in my every day life is more dangerous than covid at this point...  If the vaccine actually prevented people from spreading it, I'd absolutely get it, but that's not the case.  I'm especially not too interested in something that's politicized and rushed to the market.  I've seen I Am Legend... (kidding)

On 10/11/2021 at 16:02, NinjaGinger said:

Don't see the point of getting a flu jab for last year's bug. It's impossible to get treated for this year's virus.

I think they "predict" what the strain is going to be by looking at the cases in the opposite hemisphere. So for North America, they create it based on what hit South America in the same year.  Either way, the flu vaccine is only about 50% effective, so the prediction is far from perfect.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 16:39, Astra.Xtreme said:

I think they "predict" what the strain is going to be by looking at the cases in the opposite hemisphere. So for North America, they create it based on what hit South America in the same year.  Either way, the flu vaccine is only about 50% effective, so the prediction is far from perfect.

Some information regarding the effectiveness of flu vaccines - 

Link

Link

For the first 50 plus years of my life I did not get a flu shot.  Around 55 years old I got very ill with the flu.  My bad smoking habit didn't help either.  I started getting a flu shot every year after that.   I finally quit smoking Feb 3 2007.  Since getting my annual flu shot, I've had the flu once and again I was very ill, nearly went into the hospital.  I rather get the shot than risk getting sick though.

I did get the Moderna vaccine, just received my booster last Friday.  The sad thing is I got sick with Covid twice, before any vaccines.  No taste, body aches, extreme fatigue, chills and horrible headaches, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Like 3

I don't think I've ever had the flu shot. My new workplace offered it for free this year and also provided a handy little test to see if you should consider getting the shot or not. I took the test and the result said, "don't bother. You're in none of the at-risk groups."