Smart plug uses?

So I got a free Amazon Smart Plug that works with Alexa but I wonder what I can connect it to that would be most useful. Any suggestions?

can be used for anything really that you'd like to be able to turn on/off with alexa. be it a lamp, coffee maker, old game console, etc.

I have a GameCube hooked to a smart plug for example so I don't have to get up to turn it on (Y)

I've also had a lava lamp on one before so it could turn off after a specified amount of time (good for a night light, turn it on and not have to worry about it overheating or having to turn it back off yourself because it'll turn itself off)

• Like 2

I use mine for things like lamps that use an odd bulb for which there isn't an equivalent smart bulb available. Or for my slow cooker, fill it in the morning, and switch it on in the afternoon from work. I also have my 3D printer powered through one so I can switch in on and off from anywhere, handy in conjunction with being able to monitor it remotely with a Raspberry PI with a camera.

Also, a lot of smart plugs have energy monitoring built in so it can be handy just to see how much energy a device actually consumes.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2022 at 15:13, MS Bob 11 said:

So I got a free Amazon Smart Plug that works with Alexa but I wonder what I can connect it to that would be most useful. Any suggestions?

I use a smartplug to turn on a DIY dust filtration system in my garage.   It's mounted on the ceiling so not easy to reach, but I can set it to only stay on for a certain amount of time (3 hours).    I also use one on my 3d printer so that I can remotely kill power if I check the print on camera and it has failed.

• Like 2

I use mine for lights and one for a surg protector which turns on a light .... 3 monitors and a HP prodesk. So when I say "Turn on the basement" eveything comes on.

What's also great about using smart plug, is when you leave home you can say "Ok google, turn off everything" and everything shuts off. in the house that is controlled by a smart outlet.

• Like 2

I have set of similar networked smart plugs - I use some to manage gas injectors and lights on an aquarium. I think they're also a nice accessory to pair with space heaters or fans - particularly the former where you might wonder if you left it on, unattended (but be sure to review the amperage rating).

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I use mine to turn on an overhead LED light setup for taking pictures/videos of smaller items. I suppose a foot switch is probably just as good for this purpose, but it's helpful for reoccurring uses. It was great until my Echo wouldn't shut up about its "By the way..." babble. I get anxiety after every Alexa command now, not knowing when it will trigger the next tip or suggestion. I would not encourage a deeper dive into the Alexa ecosystem. Just my $0.02. All of those products are eventually going to just try to profit more from your metadata.

• 1 month later...

Coffee machine, computer scanner, so I don't need to climb under the desk, same with my photo printer and also an external hard drive.  Reading light in living room, electric blanket, fan in the summer and for a external hard drive in the cupboard that is used to back up stuff from the nas

On 18/02/2022 at 18:54, guitarf1 said:

It was great until my Echo wouldn't shut up about its "By the way..." babble. I get anxiety after every Alexa command now, not knowing when it will trigger the next tip or suggestion.

pretty sure you can disable those alexa suggestions and tips through the alexa app. might want to take a look

Sounds odd, but I have my monitors and other relevant accessories on one.  That way, when I enter my office, they all turn on, lights turn on, speakers turn on, etc.  When I set it to away, they all turn off.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2022 at 09:10, spikey_richie said:

A stand-alone lamp which comes on when it gets dark, and goes off when it gets light/when you go to bed.

Clap On! *clap clap* Clap Off! *clap clap*

I have two modern electric clay heaters which would've normally cost me around £1500, plus the smart hub, plus fitting. I purchased the same models, second hand, from Facebook marketplace for £140. Fitted them myself to replace the 33 year old night storage heaters. I use the smart plugs to turn them on and off whenever I like or set timers, basically turning them into the smart versions of themselves minus the manual temperature control on the sides of the units.

On 31/03/2022 at 10:07, Brandon H said:

pretty sure you can disable those alexa suggestions and tips through the alexa app. might want to take a look

Nope, you can't disable the Alexa follow ups through any reliable means.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a fair amount around but all of them control lamps.

Fairly handy at Christmas as you can plug tree lights and any others you have around into plugs, then put them all in the same group to turn them all off together.

The brand we chose (initially due to an Amazon deal) has energy monitoring as well as timer functions.  All can be managed through Alexa app or the "Smart Home" one.

I've just discovered that smart plugs can't be used to measure electric usage if they are in a strip, (it will measure the first thing inline though) which is a disappointment to me because my home theatre setup including network is like 9 plugs, so I am forced to use two extension strips. I guess I will now have to monitor the entire home theater usage from the socket.

I use mine almost exclusively with lamps. I also use the Kasa App on my phone as a remote control if needed, especially if there are different residences with the plugs. Finally, I always use Alexa if I just want to tell the light to turn on. Very handy!!

I have a TP-Link smart power strip, that I have a lamp on it and indoor camera (Camera is only on when nobody is home and alarm system is armed). 

I also have a bunch of smart electrical light switches, for outdoor lights and Christmas lights I can add a timer or control them remotely. 

I was also given 3 smart plugs that require a hub, but I have no hub and currently have no use for them.

• 1 month later...

Use mine just for lights.  I like the plugs since they are not limited. You can plug anything into them. I have 3 lights hooked up and I use the alexa guard with them as well. 

On 20/04/2022 at 17:35, xpablo said:

I was also given 3 smart plugs that require a hub, but I have no hub and currently have no use for them.

They might be compatible with the Smart Life app?