Trouble accessing LastPass. Explanation or alternative?

Question

So I use KeePass. Suits what I need. 

I thought perhaps an internet based password manager for my wife as she forever struggles to remember various logins which often leads to having to reset the password to only then never remember it next time round (or the email address tied to the account (and I'm talking about any account here, not just LastPass)) and she goes in a constant circle of resetting passwords.

I know she HAD/HAS a LastPass account as I remember her setting it up years ago.

So she tried logging in to it this weekend only for it to not work. Very unusual as with the hint linked to the account, there really is not many passwords it can be. Just a question as to whether the first letter is a capital or not really, but alas it didn't work.

So she went to create a new account - went to set the password and it wouldn't work.

Very unusual as she doesn't recall creating TWO accounts, but let's give it the benefit of the doubt.

Try a password hint, get a different hint which highlights an old password she used for everything. Try it - doesn't work. Try it without a capital - doesn't work. 

She has 3 different email addresses. So this time she goes to create an account with the third email address. One she most certainly hasn't created a LastPass account with. 

Doesn't work!!

20220418_080728.thumb.jpg.9f5d7c286a64cb4446ffa7398d4578f7.jpg

The email is correct. 

The Master Password she's trying ticks all the boxes. It begins with a capital letter as you see, 8 lower case letters then follow and after this 5 numbers follow - so she's ticking boxes of capitals, lower case & numbers. 

What gives?

Is there a decent alternative to LastPass that 1) is free 2) does not limit you to x-number of passwords on that free account 3) is online based. Doesn't HAVE to be cross platform (laptop - mobile) compatible.

If we can get to the bottom of why LastPass isn't working for her then that'd be preferred. I can get that she's getting the wrong password for one of the emails but the second one which highlights an old password she used for everything - no, she's got that one correct and then more than that - not being able to create an account with the 3rd email is just baffling. 

5 answers to this question

On 18/04/2022 at 09:23, Technique said:

Is there a decent alternative to LastPass

I use bitwarden - I was a long time lastpass user, and even was premium for many years when it was $12 for a year, etc.  But when they said you could use free only on 1 type of device, etc.  I switched over to bitwarden.. Haven't looked back, don't miss lastpass at all.. Great alternative..

• Like 2

I was a longtime LastPass Premium user and I had to fiddle with it all the time. It worked, just not consistently. It also sucked on Android.

I moved over to 1Password and have been super happy since (1 year). It works everywhere, desktop, Browser and Android without fail.

Same, I was a long LastPass member, but I recently moved over to BitWarden, hence Budman and others. :)

Edit: here's my thread: 

Why did you have to fiddle with it? In what way?

Anyway, I managed to get in to her LastPass account. It seems she must've tapped a wrong character when entering the password as the one she was trying to use was actually correct. I just typed it in slow so I knew it was right.

So before we (she) gets too involved in it, what was it that you didn't like about LP in the end?

For the record - she wont be a premium member of anything. It's free or nothing I'm afraid. Not a fan of ongoing payments to things when there's enough else swallowing the cash right now.

Whatever she uses, it NEEDS to have a section where you can add notes. 

For example - Username & Password is all well & good, but for some of our banking accounts for example it has additional security measures like a private word. Then after this you may or may not get asked 1 of a number of security questions that you gave answers to on sign up - so all these kinds of things would need to be stored in a notes section for the login of a particular site. 

EDIT: Forgot to say, but as you mentioned it - we're both on Android phones. She's more willing than I to return to iOS but for now it's Android.

On 20/04/2022 at 03:28, Technique said:

So before we (she) gets too involved in it, what was it that you didn't like about LP in the end?

it just didn't work every single use case. LP worked on Android about 70% of the time.

1Password works every time. It was very simply to export from LP and import to 1Password. I was up and running in minutes.