GuiFormat - what on earth am I formatting here?

Question

So I was using it to format an SD card for a dash cam. Used it before no trouble.

It looked like it was going a little slow so I wondered about moving the card to a different port so hit cancel. It was at this point I saw that it APPEARED like it was formatting a hard drive, yet when reading the feed it appeared not to be the case.

I connect my Garmin watch to charge it & then it appears like that's being formatted.

I connect an external HDD to start backing up files from the hard drive that GuiFormat said it was going to format (just in case) and then GuiFormat switches to saying it's going to format this external hard drive.

What gives????

Plug in the external hard drive and this shows...

Format.JPG.bb518359c2833fe7a3458d43f761fde0.JPG

But in the feed it still says it's formatting drive L (the SD card)

I THEN plug in the Garmin watch....

Format2.JPG.8d40a419eaee417ba7ee909b785d3b19.JPG

And it switches to saying it's going to format the Garmin watch ... but as you can see it's still doing drive L which is the SD card.

So now I'm worried about what is going to be formatted & am also worried to pull the plug on it.

EDIT: And now after typing that out and going back to the desktop where all that is, it's for some reason dropped from 12% as you see .... to 0% and is starting again.

EDIT x2: If i click stop, it says, for example, do you really want to format drive K. All data will be lost. 

Well no, I want to format drive L, you shouldn't be formatting K. 

If i plug the external drive in for example and click close, it'll ask me if i want to format drive J, yet the feed is talking about formatting drive L. 

Edited by Technique
  • Like 1

5 answers to this question

probably a GUIFormat bug if I had to guess.

Can you try the same thing with some backed up data and see which drive it actually formats? The one written in the description panel or the one indicated in the "Drive" section?

Well I've gambled and shut the whole thing down via task manager. 

I can still access the drives it said it was going to format but whether anything has been deleted from them or not, I don't know. The watch keeps throwing up errors when it gets plugged in which it didn't used to, but the external drive and internal drive SEEM ok.

I'll restart the PC and cross my fingers. 

On 19/04/2022 at 20:16, hellowalkman said:

I tried the latest GuiFormat and couldn't replicate the issue.

This was downloaded only a few hours ago so is also the latest.

• Like 1

Well for the record, it seems like all is ok and it was just some kind of display bug.

Hopefully I don't find out when I go to open some file that it actually isn't ok, but for now it seems ok.